AstroDiver

Contributing Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Menlo
State
GA
I've purchased the items to install a fuel/water separator.
What I need to know is, how do I relieve the fuel pressure in the fuel line?
I was planning to disconnect the line from the outboard so I could route the line free.
I don't want to cut into the fuel line and have fuel spraying all over me or the boat.

I have a 2001 Logic 186.
Do I install the unit between the outboard and the fuel line bulb? That's what I was thinking.
I was going to locate it inside the right aft compartment under the seat. That's where everything is routed from the bilge to the outboard. So, it seemed like the logical place for mounting.

Any hints or tricks I should know?

Thanks for any help and ideas y'all can provide.

John

When I did mine i cut the fuel line between the bulb and the tank. There is not much pressure in the lines at all. just have wide cup below where you take the fuel line appart. I think about 1 to 2 cups of fuel came out. One thing that I did not do and I suggest you do is fill up the new filter up with gas. I didn't and I had to pump the ball for 5 minutes before I got pressure.

I mounted mine by the batteries and if you are doing the same remove the batteries from the boat to avoid any accidental sparks. Triumphs hold up to just about anything but will melt like butter when on fire.

good luck
HTR

HTRedneck,
The cluster of lines don't go near where the batteries are located on my Logic. I'm not sure where they are located on your 191 Fish & Ski.

For safety, I don't want the fuel line anywhere near the batteries. For access, the batteries are a pain to get to on a Logic. I don't bend like I use to 30 years ago. :D
To remove them, I have to remove the seat/cooler.

When I need to access the filter to service it, I want easy and not laying contorted on the deck.

Thanks for the hints and suggestion on priming the filter.

John

Filter placement

Hi Astro,

Attached are a couple of photos of my fuel filter installation.

As High Tech said, there is no pressure in the line. The fuel pump on the motor supplies the pressure to the carbs/fuel injectors.

Attachments

• Fuel filter 1.jpg
    Fuel filter 1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Fuel filter 2.jpg
    Fuel filter 2.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 67
I attached mine between the fuel tank and the bulb. As others have said, there is very little pressure in the line so just cut it and hook up the filter. The only "hint" is to prefill the filter with fuel to save on the pumping, as HTR stated.

Good luck.

astro just a little tip does the compartment you are putting the filter in drain into the bilge are to the out side of the boat it is not a good idea to put a gas filter in a place were it will drain in to the bilge. you will have to change the filter one day and gas could end up in your bilge. too some filters come with bottom drains so you can drain the water off of them dont want that to drain to the bulgue . if there was any way that i could mount the filter in a place that does not drain into the bilge i would becaues of safey. hope this helps

Filter Mounting

Unfortunately, you will probably want to mount the filter somewhere that drains into the boat. And also make sure that there isn't a way for the gas to accidentally be discharged overboard. I have seen some very hefty fines for spills resulting from simply chaning a fuel/water separater mounted in a splashwell.

10-4 guys...I was just looking at a setup myself today to go into my 186 Logic...good information and great question there Astrodiver....:)

<*)))))>{

that might be so pamariner but you should always drain or change the filter befor you put the boat in the water , that should be one of your check you do when you are getting your boat ready to take out ... gas in a bilge is never a good thing.... no amount...splash wells are the best place to mount one i would pay a fine befor i blow my boat up. the way these boats hulls are made they have all kinds of pockets in the bilges that hold water and gas and want drain.by all means dont discharge gas and oils overboard. but do every thing you can to be safe on the water. putting gas in a bilge is not safe..

I'm planning on installing one soon...probably in port storage bin. A wad of shop towels before hand will catch any spills. IIRC, the boat's main fuel tank is in the bilge.

Thanks for all of the answers to my installation. I was planning on hanging a small bucket under the filter assembly when servicing the unit to catch any liquids.

I just finished mounting mine in the port transom box...150/170 style. I mounted the filter to a piece of pressure treated 1 x 3, and mounted that to the front wall of the box. Both hoses come off the top of the fuel tank go straight into the filter; keeps the rest of the box clear for other stuff.

I also re-routed the outboard bulb hose to the starboard side...cut a new hole thru the splashwell...didn't see any reason to run it all the way across the boat.
---------------
Four machine screws w/ finishing washers, secure base plate
to forward wall of the storage box. Previous owner moved
stern light holders (light tilted out to show machine screws)
to this area, which gives light more protection and makes room
for add-on rod holders below gunwales.

full

Hoses cross from tank top, direct to filter base; no extended
hose runs dangling unsupported, or exposed to getting in the
way of putting things in and out of box.

full

Plenty of clearance for getting a grip on filter and putting a container
underneath, for catching any drips when changing filters.

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
One additional question....I see only an in line and a out line..what are the other 2 line ports for..??

I also have an 186 Cool Bay and getting ready to instal a seperator and trying to get a heads
up on some information...

Thanks for any comeback..:)

<*)))))>{

Ports

The other to ports are for an additional fuel line, in and out. Some people use one filter on dual outboard setups.

10-4 that makes sense.....didn't know if it was for a return fuel line or something else.

That makes it a simple operation.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

<*)))))>{

One more question....on page 1 there is a filter that the lines go in one side and out the other side which makes sense.....on page 2 there is a filter that both lines come and go on the same side.

Is that just the way the filters are made for different brands of motors?

I am installing it on a Mercury XR6 150.

Thanks...:)

<*)))))>{

It is probaly just a generic filter for all types of motors. at least thats what I have. On mine on each side there is 1 line in and 1 line out. it does not matter which line in you use or which line out. It is setup like this so it can me installed on all types of boats. just depends on where you plan on placeing it and what is the cleanest look for your installation. motor makes no difference.

Good luck
HTR

Customize

Most filter mounts have a pair of inlet and outlet ports on both sides of the mount so you can customize the installation and route the hoses as you wish.

Quick question... Is there any issues with pre-mixing the gas and oil, and the water separator filter? I also have 186 Bay with a 115 Merc.

Thanks

Back