Insurance Deals?

I use BoatUS and not sure how they compare across the industry but only about $250/yr for what I think is reasonable coverage: my 2007 215CC boat,motor and trailer has coverage for about $34,500 agreed value with liability and medical coverage and $5000 for fishing equipment.

Putershark,
You live in florida.From what I understand that is a different animal altogether when it comes to insurance; especially for a boat. I'm hoping to retire to Florida in a couple of years but I keep hearing horror stories about the cost of your insurance coverage there. My 2008 195CC boat,motor and trailer has coverage for about $33,000 agreed value with liability and medical coverage and $2500 for fishing equipment.It is around $290 per year with Nationwide.I live in Coastal NC, Wilmington.What does your avg. policy cost in Fla.?
John D.

Thanks Guys!
And I am going to call Boat US in the morning.

At present I have Nationwide (who is no longer on my side) that first dropped the house, then I took the Trucks away from them after that and went back to State Farm that I had for 30 plus years. And now Nationwide is hitting the eject handle on the Boat coverage and selling it off to some firm I have never heard of. Naturally the cost did not change (why should it when is already too high) at $430.00 a year...

So Ole Dave said "That dog no longer hunts" and time to go shopping again ;)

I actually was surprised with my new insurance quote. When we first purchased our boat the dealer suggested we try the Veritas ins. group down in St. Pete. The insurance co. we had is not writing in florida anymore, but they do have other co. We signed with Progressive insurance for less than half of our other policy. Same coverage.Nice surprise for a change. You can give them a try at 866-808-3344. Good luck, Nature Coast Bill

My last boat insurance policy was also with Progressive. It was the best price I found at the time.

I can tell you that in our area of Florida, from a dealer's perspective Progressive has been the best insurance company we have dealt with. They have been prompt about handling the owner's problem, and fair with handling customer's claims. That is important should you ever have a claim. We have dealt with some other companies that have claims people that have no knowledge of boats and the claim drags on for ever and ever.

Florida Insurance & Progressive

Just a note on Florida Insurance and Progressive. I live in the Florida Panhandle, have a 195 CC w/ 150 Etec. Don't remember the exact coverage limits off the top of my head but they are fairly substantial and I pay about $330 a year with Progressive.

Have been with Progressive a number of years, have had one claim and have nothing but good things to say about their service. No claims with the 195 but my Key West 216 Bay Reef got hit by lightning about 4 years ago. Progressive asked where I want to get it repaired, I took it there and simply paid my decreasing deductible which was down fairly low by that time. Way to go Progressive!:)

Well I found the drawback to Paradise. (Now,more like paradise lost) The insurance rates have gone thru the roof. Based on what I have seen here from other's rates from around the US and even other areas of FL. And most companies I've inquired with have no idea what a Roplene hull is or a Logic or Triumph. Does anybody have any reccommendations for a company with decent rates in South East Florida? I'm not living in the past, but just what is decent nowadays? :confused:

Guess, I'll have to be extremely careful, get everybody to sign a waiver and get an attack dog to live in the boat :eek:

P&P
I'm with Nationwide in NC and the rates are fair here compared to Florida.I have heard quite a few good comments about Progressive Ins. I got a quote online at their website.They have Roplene built into their quote so it seems the word is out.Give them a try.Good luck
John D.

P&P
I have heard quite a few good comments about Progressive Ins. I got a quote online at their website.They have Roplene built into their quote so it seems the word is out.Give them a try.Good luck
John D.

John,
Many on here indicated Progressive was their insurance and worth a look. I did their online quote, attached below. Wow. That is just unrealistic. I've owned over 15 boats up to 46' and have a Captain's License, a Pilots License, Class A CDL, no violations and never had a loss in 40 years, and the boat is loaded with safety gear and has LoJack.
Guess all that doesn't matter now days. :mad:

Drivers: WILLIAM
No violations
Vehicles
2002 Triumph 210CC
Policy Info
Discounts you're receiving
Boat Safety Course Discount
HomeOwner discount
Original Owner Discount
Paid-In-Full Discount
Responsible Driver Discount
Your 12 Month Progressive Quote
Custom Package $1,307.95
$114.57 / month
Policy Coverages
Bodily Injury: $100,000 accident$100,000 person/$300,000 accident
$50,000 property damage
Uninsured/ Underinsured Boater: $100,000 accident$100,000 person/$300,000 accident
Medical Payments: 1,000 each person
Fishing Equipment: $2,500 ($250 deductible)
Vehicle #1 - 2002 Triumph 210 CC (agreed value$30,000 including trailer)
Physical Damage options: Agreed Value
Comprehensive: $500 Deductible (Agreed Value)
Collision: $500 Deductible (Agreed Value)
On-Water Towing: No coverage
Coastal Navigation: 75 Nautical Miles
Roadside Assistance:
Included
Taxes and Fees
Florida Hurricane Catastrophe Fund Assessment
$12.95

Is it Florida, or what?!? I've got insurance with Progressive (contracted through USAA).....$254/yr this year, up from $236 last year. Yes, they do know about Roplene, coverage includes the trailer, liability, replacement cost, etc, out to 75 miles offshore. I've got all the same credentials as you, Bill, sans the Captains Lic, and LoJack

Is it Florida, or what?!? I've got insurance with Progressive

Yeah Mike, I guess it is.
My Homeowners insurance right after Hurrican Andrew in '92 went from $385.00 to $2200.00 a year with the same company (State Farm). And that was for half the coverage as before.

I'd sooner go to Las Vegas and pull the Slots. At least they don't jack it up outa sight after a payout.

Well, that's a bummer, man.....I wish you luck. Who insures your plane, Bill? Maybe they'd be a little kinder, like a volume discount or something?:)

Just got my Progressive renewal notice and it actually went down a few dollars to just barely $300 for the year. I got my insurance through a Progressive Agent here in the Florida Panhandle. When I originally tried to do an Online Quote, it didn't work. However the Agent did not have a problem with getting the coverage. They had Triumph Boats listed and it only took about 30 minutes to get the Policy information completed. Hope this helps.

Also as another note on Florida Homeowners Insurance. If you have a home built before about 2002, check in to having a Wind Mitigation Survey done on your home. Having this done dropped my premium by about $800. Having the survey done will cost you about $75, but it's worth cost.

I guess I call a Progressive agent and see if that makes any difference from the online quote. Probably a good idea to wait a few days till Bonnie blows on by. LOL. (great timing). Gonna be a little busy tomorrow anyway. Nothing like waiting till the last minute. :eek:

P&P
I had no idea that boat and home owners Ins. was that high in Fla. I knew it was high but that quote from Progressive on your boat was unreal.We've had plenty of hurricanes here in South east NC and our rates have gone way up,but the quote from Progressive was $300 on my boat.My wife and I have talked often about moving to Fla. next year when I retire so we can fish year round. I may have to re think that move.Good luck on the insurance.
John

Back