Is it safe to put screws in the bilge floor?

linchuntao

Participating Member
Premium Member
City
San Jose
I have a bow mount trolling motor. The battery is in the central storage space between the two front fish boxes. Please see the attached pictures. Assume the green rectangle is the battery. I want to put a battery tray there and secure it on the floor. I may need to put four screws on the floor (illustrated by the four red dots in the picture). My questions are:

Is it safe to put screws there? If so, what's the maximum length of the screw? Or is there any other way to secure a heavy battery in that area?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Triumph195.jpg
    Triumph195.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 32

NCangler

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Raleigh
State
NC
From what I can see I think you'd be fine putting some short stainless screws in there, but be sure to use RULE Elastomeric Sealant around them. You just need a screw long enough to bite into the surface well. I have not owned a 191 or 195 series but Dave (Putershark) might have a specific recommendation on this since he has had a 190. Someone else may join in as well.

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Mike (Harper) is our Recognized Leader for the 191 and 195 hulls and would know best. And I cannot tell from the picture, but that does not look like the actual bottom of the hull (more like a false floor) and I would prefer to defer to Mike since he can actually see his, and offer up the best recommendation for long term mounting ;)

Hope this helps?
Dave

Push&Pull

Recognized Leader Triumph 210 / 215 Forum
City
Florida City
State
Florida
A couple of points. While it might be OK to place screws in various areas of the deck or subfloor, I tend to NOT recommend it. It is just one more hole that will allow water to get below deck, into the hulls grate system and most likely trap it there permanently. (sealing the screws is not all that effective). Another point is you Do run the risk of going completely thru the outer hull. There are many "kiss off" spots and areas that are where the deck & or inner hull actually adhere to the hull and those spots have very little thickness.
If that is the only spot you can place the battery(s)..... maybe try to modify the hold-down to screw into the sides of the compartment. And considering the weight of batteries, I would use bolts or machine screws with locknuts. , not tap screws. :cool:

One more additional note. Be careful of placing too much permanent weight too far forward. It could upset the CG and the handling of the boat.

Harper

Recognized Leader Triumph 191/195 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Republic of Texas
Yeah....I tend to agree with Capt Bill. I'd personally be leary of screws in that area. I'd have two main concerns. Bill aptly covered my first concern, the second is the lack of strength in that area when it comes to the screws holding something as heavy as a battery. Keep in mind that I am on some fairly rough water at times, and don't think that in my 195CC, the battery would sit there for very long on the kind of days on which I often venture out. I'd just be constantly worried about it to the point that I'd never get out to an oil rig again. I have two batteries and an on-board charger under the console, and actually have room for another battery.. That's where I would put the third battery.

Moon Loon

Registered Member
Premium Member
City
Levis
State
Quebec
I did on my 2012 195CC what you plan to do with yours. I made a tray with Kingboard to locate the two batteries and the charger for my MinnKota 24 volts electric motor and I placed it in the front bilge. I never had issues with the batteries and the charger even in rough water but I made the mistake to secure the tray with two screws on the inner hull. I decided to move the tray farther on the front bilge for easy access issues two years ago.

This summer when I cleaned the boat after the harsh winter we had here in Quebec I noticed that there was water level to each one of the two inner bilge drains (It was the first time I noticed that). I checked all the inner hull and unscrewed the tray in the process and I seen that there was water pouring from the screws holes.
I drilled a 1/4 inch hole on the bilge floor and water spurted out hardly for a while indicating that there was some pressure even with the inner drain opened for months. When it stopped, I putted my weight on the floor and water started to spurt out again. After that, I flushed as much water I could with my air compressor but the floor of the bilge was raising under the air pressure without any water coming out the inner hull drains. So I drilled a second hole on the back of the rear front bilge to make a way the water to escape. Then I decided to weld all the screw holes and had a lot of problems with the last one for there was always water in the plastic solder. For now all the screw holes are well soldes and there is no way for the water to come into the inner hole from there... and no way to escape from there too.
My only remaining issue is what the water was not coming out from the two inner drains considering that the bow of the boat was by far higher than the stern since last september. It seems that something stops the water to go down to the inner drain and come out of il. I let them open and will see what happen after a week.
Can somebody give me a hint on what happen with this water trapped in the inner hull and how to solve this issue?

To secure my tray on the bilge I will make brackets with Kingboard that I will screw on the removable floor panel in the bottom of the bilge. I will let the tray fixed to the brackets bounce a bit but avoir them to run freely on the bilge floor.