Is my tank full?

j5moto

Registered Member
State
Ca
195CC - 2006 - I haven't able to get a confirmation from reading what the fuel cap is. I think it is 45 gallons, but I've read other figures, too.

I've also read about issues trying to fill up the tank. The first couple time I had fuel come out the fuel vent. Then I read about that issue on this form, and I started back-blowing into the vent before filling up. Since then, the fuel pump will pump no problem until it auto-shutoffs. Because I had to replace some pumps, I had the bilge hatch open, and this is what I've found for what I was thinking has been a "full" tank. Today, I also found wires broken that caused the fuel gauge to stop working. Now that I fixed that, it shows 3/4 tank, so I'm not sure that I am better off from when I was not back-blowing into the vent, because that is what it was showing before after filling until fuel spilled out.

Attachments

• Resized_20180904_104438.jpeg
    Resized_20180904_104438.jpeg
    722.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Resized_20180904_104414.jpeg
    Resized_20180904_104414.jpeg
    204.1 KB · Views: 43

Harper

Recognized Leader Triumph 191/195 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Republic of Texas
It;'s a 60 gallon tank. It's sometimes difficult to fill completely due to a poor design in the vent line. The vent hose coems from the front of the tank, and tends to have a dip in it along the left side of the tank. So fuel gets in the line and it no longer vents as you're filling.

j5moto

Registered Member
State
Ca
Are we sure it is a 60? I thought I read somewhere that the 60 gallon tank cut in around 2009?

I'd have to find it again, but I read a post here somewhere with an owner performing a slightly intricate fix. I'll look it up again, but I might have to do something somewhat soon. You can see the corrosion on the tank fittings...

Harper

Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Republic of Texas
Pretty sure it's 60. Mine is an '08 model. They went smaller in later years, not bigger.

Harper

Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Republic of Texas
Also don't notice anything tha appears like corrosion in your pictures. Just looks like mold and crud to me.

Harper

Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Republic of Texas
Do you usually fuel on your trailer, or on the water?

Harper

Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Republic of Texas
I have a short piece (4" long) of 1" PVC that I've tapered on one end. When I refuel, on the trailer, the bow sits high enough that if I blow into the vent, using that PVC piece wedged in the vent, I can clear the vent line of any fuel and fill the tank without issue. The last 5 gallons or so have to go in slower than full flow. Can't do that on the water, but I always fuel on the road wth non-ethanol gas.

Offshoreman

Recognized Leader Triumph 235 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
I have read a lot about why that happens. Definitely sounds like your vent tube is clear.

Except for the Diesels, every boat I've had spits fuel out of the vent tube right as it gets full. If I let it settle a moment, I can get the last few gallons in.

Play with the attitude of the boat, as it sits differently on the trailer or in the water.

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
It's not a problem with the Skiff, but was a issue with my past Triumph for sure. I just burped it like a baby by rocking her some when she would get near full.

And for some reason, when the pump 1st come on, it would always spit up... Again, I would just rock the hull some while on the trailer which was pretty easy to do by dancing around some on the deck LOL... Just have some music playing so everyone is not staring at you :p

Offshoreman

Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
Ha! Got a video of that?

Erikvann77

Registered Member
State
MA
Hello,
First post here. Apologies for hijacking your thread for a moment! I am a recent owner of a 2004 191 fs. Been enjoying the boat all summer. I have had the same fueling issues mentioned above and in many other posts. I must admit that I don't knew where my fuel vent is.... the fuel filler neck has a very small air hole above the filler opening but aside from that I am in the dark about where a larger vent might be located. Is it on the transom and I have confused it for a drain? many thanks. Great site!

Harper

Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Republic of Texas
I know the 195s and the 191 share the same hull, so if it's the same as my 195CC, it is on the port side of the transom, just above the outlet for the bilge pump.

20180919_074728.jpg

Last edited:

Erikvann77

Registered Member
State
MA
Thanks, I have a different arrangement on my transom. It seems that the fuel vent is integrated with the filler neck I will experiment with the suggested methods of clearing the vent lines.

Harper

Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Republic of Texas
I think also that some models have a vent somewhere on the side of the console. I'm just not that familiar with the 191FS.

Offshoreman

Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
I doubt the vent line is incorporated into the filler neck. The gas cap would seal it off preventing it from venting. Take a look at that vent in the above photo. You'll have one of those, most likely overboard along the side or transom. I'm a 215 and 235 guy, and both of mine were very near the gas cap / filler, on the side of the hull.

Offshoreman

Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
In the original Triumph advertisements, it shows the filler on the port gunwale, and the vent just below. Does yours look like this (except for the amazing and artful red arrow)?

Attachments

• Inked195_LI.jpg
    Inked195_LI.jpg
    842.5 KB · Views: 24

mrgreencms

Participating Member
City
Woodbine
It has been sometime since I reviewed this website, my fault, just busy. These are great questions and comments and I would like to add what I have experienced with my 2008 195CC. I was informed when I bought the boat (used) that it had a 60 gal gas tank. No matter how much I use it on any given outing, I have not filled it up with more than 25 gal. at a time. My gage appears to be working correctly, goes up and down with use and fill up but still no where near the tank stated amount. I even called the factory (e-mailed) before they closed, gave them my boat ID number, and they came back with 60 gal. capacity. Stopped by Merritt Marine when visiting NC (I recommend that if you are close) and asked that question on 2008 195CC, and they also said 60 gal. Is it 60 gal, or maybe 40 gal? Not really sure until it gets time to replace the tank, and then the truth will be known. I have tried that PVC extension, and it works great, hit a good bump one time underway and away it went, have not carved one again yet. Soon for sure, when you are in South Georgia (St. Mary's) the summer gets warm, and the vent works real well, the PVC extension keeps the spillage off the back of the boat. By the way the Reds are on fire down here.

Offshoreman

Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
I rarely filled my 215's tank all the way. It was 70 gallons. But with proper trim and topping it off after every trip, I rarely put in more than 20 or 30 gallons at a time. I kept it full.

Harper

Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Republic of Texas
I emptied my tank once (2008 195CC), a long time ago, when non-ethanol fuel became available in my area. There were only 10-12 gallons left when I did, but I wanted all the ethanol out. Anyway, point of my post, it took the whole of 60 gallons when I filled it up again. My wallet didn't like it much. :D