Dave LeGear

Contributing Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
What's left of Pine Island
State
Florida
Long time member and contributor here on the Site, Frank (peaceinthewood) has a new Pocket Battle Wagon which is just stunning! I am a big fan of the Pocket Battle Wagon segment, and more than once drooled over a 38 Cabo Express myself thinking "You know Dave, you could sale the house, and just live on that puppy" but She, has just too much stuff for me to ever pull that off! LOL :p

Brother Frank though, with a lot of planning and hard work I am quit sure... Has scored on just a stunning Catalina Islander 34 with twin (my favorite brand) 315 HP Cummins Turbo Diesel's. So, what better than to kick off this new Forum section, with some pictures and quick tour of his awesome example of a Catalina Islander 34 :cool:

I will cover some of the specs and what I know Frank has updated thus far, and he will take us further along on his journey with her! Should be both interesting as well as educational for those looking to do the same, and would like some tips and guidance on both securing and maintaining a vessel like this. So, for a little back history and specs on the Catalina Islander 34 from the HMY Yachts Site found here:

https://www.hmy.com/yachts-for-sale/catalina/islander-34/

"The Islander 34 (built by sailboat-manufacturer Catalina Yachts) began life in 1989 as the Pearson 34, a good-running deep-V design aimed at the family cruiser market. Catalina obtained the tooling to this model in 1993 when Pearson went out of business, and introduced her as the Islander 34 with a revised interior favored by many for its utility and space utilization.

With 6'4"" of headroom and a light, airy salon the Islander’s two-stateroom floor-plan is arranged with a mid cabin berth tucked under the elevated dinette—an innovative and seldom-seen configuration capable of sleeping eight people. The forward stateroom has an island berth, and the head compartment is very spacious. On the downside, the galley is compact with little counter space. While not large, the Islander’s cockpit is big enough for a couple of light-tackle anglers. Additional features include a spacious engine room, a large Flybridge with bench seating forward of the helm, bow pulpit, and a transom door. Twin 250hp Cummins diesels cruise the Islander at 18 knots (22–23 knots top), and 315hp Cummins cruise at 20 knots (mid 20s top)."

Typical with any Boat purchase new or used, things need attention and in Frank's case, the topside and engine room were kept real nice! Personally, I would probably just go insane detailing the Engine space alone on 34 feet of Battle Wagon, and you would not see me surface for weeks :p

8864186E-5F09-4119-A1AC-373221088848.jpeg

Laugh if you must, but I was just yesterday, touching up the gel coat in the bilge space on our brand new Maverick ;) As I say all the time "We might not thump any Fish, but we are always going to look Damn Good doing it!" LOL Well in Franks case, he has that already!

Frank was telling me the bottom needed some love and attention, which living here in the warm waters of Florida, is no shock to anyone! Bottom growth is just a constant and ongoing battle! The weight and drag they add to the hull is just shocking and simply needs to be removed... Frank was telling me she was hauled out, and it took 3 weeks to soda blast, apply barrier coating, and 3 separate coats of a quality bottom paint. Quite sure that was not cheap by any means, but it turned out stunning and will pay off for many years just in lower fuel burn rates as Frank is deep dropping off the ledge in The Keys (her home port now) or chasing after Sails, Dolphin, Kings, etc. along the weed lines!

During the bottom work picture... And few ways, to cut any corners on this kind of work if done correctly! Just strip, grind, repair... Then rinse and repeat over and over again, till covered and looking great!

60F3F12C-8FA4-4CC5-B617-4674880E441F.jpeg

Just awesome results from all that hard work, and she turned out beautiful!

794A8782-D394-4263-A89C-037FA348DDFF.jpeg

5D9654D0-353C-42F7-9E6E-0DA989FC914F.jpeg

9D327CDD-DC96-4D5E-81CA-E767E6C76E89.jpeg

And now, she is back in her Home Port as other cleaning, tweaks, and upgrades are getting completed. I am really looking forward to going aboard and getting some more pictures and getting the Grand Tour with her new Captain!

AEFFBB86-49E7-40D3-A3E4-3623A48F4B1C.jpeg

And here is her battle deck and as advised, plans are on her getting a new name in the near future.

042BAEDF-FE83-4B05-A5F7-55513CABE16D.jpeg

Soon I am quite sure, and once this Gale settles down, and time permits... Frank will be underway again chasing after something to pick a fight with :cool:

58AA529B-1D00-44C6-88C4-B00AE75EE43F.jpeg

Congratulations again Frank, she is stunning, and looking forward to see her in person and hearing all the plans you have for her! I will now turn this one to him to fill us in on the history of this boat, all the killer specs and goodies she has aboard now, and his future plans!

Tight Lines!
Dave

Wow nice write up! So here’s what I’ve done so far...

Full service to both engines transmissions and gen set, which was replaced with a larger 8KW than the original 5KW that came with it I have done the Re packed the rudders, installed three new Sea Cock’s.( 2 main engines and one gen set) complete bottom paint with two brand new propellers (21 x 21) new Fireboy auto engine room fire extinguisher (not installed yet) 2 new 8d batteries, and one new 1000 cc amp genset battery.

Previous owner had just installed 2 new dometic ac units. Installed a cell phone extender ( 20 mile range , so they claim) Seems like the port engine needs a new alternator as it’s making a ticking noise. This engine was a reman that has approximately 200 hours on it. Both engines run smooth and strong, and the tech is coming tomorrow to change out alternator. All else seems to be in good working order. I’m probably about 18- 20 k into it (about what I anticipated) purchase price was 80k. I think not a bad deal as it’s about as good as it gets and next I will post performance info.

Well took her out on her maiden (Fishing voyage) she ran beautifully. Went out to the Islamorada hump ( about 15 miles off shore) we were out there battling for position with some pretty big boys 55-70 Vikings and a few other 50-60 footers all trolling it was a traffic jam, but I managed to mingle with them all bobbing and weaving around everyone. Well we caught 4 football tuna’s and of course lost 3/4 of the biggest one to the tax collector, but all in all we hung with the big boys and held our own.

I have to say that the practice I got driving my 215 served me well. I have backed her in to the slip with ease already a few times. My 215 was a bit squirrelly at low speeds and difficult to keep straight (a bit better when I added bobs machine stabilizer) but that has served me well as I thought I would need some sort of training to drive this boat. So far haven’t needed it. Looking to maybe take her out this weekend. A bit windy and 3 to 4 ft waves. We’ll see how she handles that.

Back