Offshoreman

Recognized Leader Triumph 235 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
Just picked up a used Jackson Cuda 12.6 kayak. I have fished off of this same (borrowed) kayak in our local rivers, but I'm going to set this one up for near shore ocean and bay fishing. As soon as I get it I'll post some photos and some of my mods that I'll make.

Look forward to seeing it! :cool: I've got a number of Yakattack kayak mounting rails of different lengths. If you could use a couple let me know.

Awesome, thank you!

Alright, pretty much done. Added a Lowrance Elite 5, a center rod holder, a milk crate storage box and paddle clamps. A couple of handy things like a tray in front of the seat for fishing stuff, etc. Inside the center hold I placed an AGM battery in a Pelican case for Lowrance power. Trying to keep it simple, yet very fishable.

I made a drag anchor tube on the stern. A retractable clothes line reel to keep anchor line out of the way. I can deploy a length of 1/2 inch chain as a drag anchor for river fishing. Then pull it right back up with a cleat to tie it off.

Suggestions welcome!

Attachments

• image000000 (2).jpg
    image000000 (2).jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 2
  • image000001 (1).jpg
    image000001 (1).jpg
    238 KB · Views: 2
  • image000002.jpg
    image000002.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 2
  • image000003.jpg
    image000003.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 2
  • image000004.jpg
    image000004.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 4
Oh, and I had difficulty finding a place for the transducer. I didn't want it hitting (dragging) along the bottom in shallow water and I didn't want an over-the-gunwale mount. So I glued it to the inside of the bottom of the hull. I made a coffer dam of tape inside the rear compartment, then filled it with Marine Goop. (I hear it's best for this application). I slowly pressed the transducer into the Goop until it was against the bottom of the hull with no bubbles in the glue. I figured if it didn't work well, it was a cheap transducer.

Well, I went down the river the other day and it really works quite well. 455 and 800 down-view was great! No direct contact with the water so the temp is off. But I don't care about water temp on the kayak.

All right, so I fished this thing a few times. But not seriously. This last two weeks I spent out of state in Oregon and Idaho. I have to say, I like fishing off this thing.

And the choice of transducer location works perfectly.

Attachments

• IMG_20200604_210517.jpg
    IMG_20200604_210517.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
No sidescan. Just medium and high chirp (455-800) downscan.

Back