Kudos to Faria/Beede

Harper

Recognized Leader Triumph 191/195 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
State
Republic of Texas
I bought my 2008 195CC new in July 2009. All the gauges are Faria gauges, and I assume most Triumphs are so equipped. Today, I replaced the pitot speedometer that came on the boat with a new Faria GPS speedometer. I had a question for Faria support, so gave them a call. While speaking to the rep, I also mentioned that all my gauge lenses have been yellowing over the years, and asked if he had any suggestions for clearing them up. I've tried Novus products, but haven't had much luck. He asked what kind of boat they were on and I told him. He said that Triumph probably put gauges in with the plastic lenses instead of glass, and he didn't think there was much way of clearing them up once the yellowing started. I replied that they were indeed plastic. He said, "Why not just send them to us and we'll replace the lenses with glass, free of charge." He got my information, emailed an RMA number and the four remaining gauges will be on their way next month. The new speedo has a glass lense already. Pretty cool unit, has the GPS rcvr built in and has a digital readout of the boat's course in degrees and the heading by compass points.
gps-speedo_500x200.jpg

Wow now that is great customer service. Thanks for sharing! :cool:

Very nice gauges. I will have to look into those to replace mine.

Does it also display engine hours on it - maybe alternately between the GPS heading? Just curious. I have been pleased with their customer service too. Good company. I buff the plastic lenses with baking soda every now and then. Doesn't help with yellowing but mine get pitting/salt build up and it seems to help for that.

According to the attached info sheet. it is available with an hour meter, but I don't see that offering anywhere else on their website http://faria-instruments.com/ I guess you could give them a call and find out specifically what catalog number you would need to request.

Attachments

• faria_beede_fm-002-0027_B_Faria-GPS_Speedo.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
Gotta hand it to those fellas at Faria Beede. They really do provide exceptional customer service. I sent the gauges in on 25 April, and got them back today with brand new glass lenses ... no charge. They look real sweet! I tinted all the gauge lights red several years ago, and I think they are still to bright at night, so as I reinstall the gauges, I'm also going to wire in a Blue Sea 7507 Deck Hand Dimmer. It works with a momentary contact center-off rocker switch ... push one way to dim, the other to brighten.
40644XL.jpg

We have been doing a complete kitchen remodel and I was brain dead on this one Harper. My hour meter is on the tach! I like that speedo BTW.

Ha! So is mine.... I wondered when you asked, but they are different boats, after all, so there was no reason to question it.

Nice town, Savannah .... used to instruct in choppers out of Hunter AAF back in the 60s and 70s.

Yeah, Savannah is a pretty neat place. There is a lot of new development and renovation going on in the past decade. Like any place in the world, there is good and bad. You have to embrace the good. The historic downtown area is just a great place to walk around and enjoy music, food, and atmosphere. History just oozes from every corner.

Since you flew choppers, you are probably familiar with the barrier islands on the coast. I have a getaway where my boat is - overlooking St Catherines Island south of Ossabaw Island, dead east from Ft Stewart. Undeveloped, unspoiled and, for the most part, uninhabited. That is my boating playground. There are many days that I am the only boat on the water – and that's inshore!

Life is good. Hectic, but good.

I try to avoid hectic, and manage to do so most of the time, in my bucolic lifestyle. My wife always wanted us to retire in Savannah, and it would've been okay with me, were it not so far from the kids and grandkids. Besides, it's not Texas. But we are going to travel back to your area for our 50th anniversary next year, spending most of our time between St Augustine and Charleston.

It has been too long since I have been to St Augustine so I don't have suggestions but I will PM you some Charleston restaurants and Sav restaurants when I have a few minutes. Some good eats to be had. And I am jealous of that bucolic thing you have going. Hope to achieve that one day.

Back