Livewell Pump replacement

JustinW

Registered Member
City
Folsom
Has anyone tried to replace the livewell pump on their boat? Mine was overtightened at some point and has a crack in the outlet fitting. I tried to fix it but in the end the whole pump will need to be replaced. I have tried and tried to get it unscrewed from the brass thru-hull fitting but it looks like the factory has expoxied the plastic pump housing onto the brass threads. Has anyone else had experience replacing the pump?

BarryB

Contributing Member
City
Pembroke Pines
I doubt it's epoxy. I think they used Rule sealant. I would think if you put a wrench on the seacock (I assume you have the seacock as I have one on my boat) to prevent it from spinning and give the pump a good twist, it will unscrew.

pamarine

Contributing Member
City
Portsmouth
State
VA
If it's on the threads it is probably just a pipe dope that has set up with age. A few truns with a proper pipe or cresent wrench should take care of it.

JustinW

Registered Member
City
Folsom
I said "epoxied" but yes it looks like rule sealant. Sure seems to work great as a threadlocker whatever it is.

Yeah, pipe wrench only crunched the plastic, didn't even budge. It's on there good. With the small access area we have, I'm thinking about taking the back seat area out and exposing the bilge better. I am pretty sure I can get the torque I need to get it off at that point. In order to do that I have to unbolt the motor. There has got to be an easier way!
If I go that far, while I'm in there I'll do a bunch of other work too. Thank you very much for the feedback.

BarryB

Contributing Member
City
Pembroke Pines
Does the access plate have a screwed on outer ring? If so, removing the outer ring will give you a bit more room to work.

Yes, in order to remove the motor well/rear seat combo, you would have to remove the motor, cut the old Rule, etc. Lots of work.

Push&Pull

Recognized Leader Triumph 210 / 215 Forum
City
Florida City
State
Florida
Snap it off. then pry off the remaining plastic with a screwdriver. Your replacing it anyway.

DAOliveto

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
MI
Has anyone tried to replace the livewell pump on their boat? Mine was overtightened at some point and has a crack in the outlet fitting. I tried to fix it but in the end the whole pump will need to be replaced. I have tried and tried to get it unscrewed from the brass thru-hull fitting but it looks like the factory has expoxied the plastic pump housing onto the brass threads. Has anyone else had experience replacing the pump?
Hi Justin, When you have your boat out for the year can your e-mail me pictures of your live well pump setup? One of the two previous owners removed the pump and hose connects and I don't have a clue where everything goes. Thanks! Dave Oliveto DAOliveto@yahoo.com

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Hi Dave!
Above is a thread from over 11 years ago and Justin has not been on the Site in almost as long... Can you just post up a picture at what you are seeing, and sure someone here can help guide you ;)

Best,
Dave