Logic 170cc Towing Weight

John Luca

Registered Member
City
Vero Beach
State
Florida
I'm considering replacing my 2006 Toyota 4Runner, a car that tows my 2000 Logic 170cc (w/2006-90HP ETEC on an aftermarket custom single axle trailer). The 4Runner has a 5000 lb towing capacity and tows my boat/motor/trailer with ease. I'm trying to determine an adequate towing capacity on any potential replacement vehicle, but I'm having difficulty finding even a ballpark estimate of my current tow weight (boat, motor and trailer).

Can anyone offer an estimate of what my current tow requirement is so that I can make an informed choice when I replace my 4Runner? Thanks!.

Good Morning!
As long as you stay with your current BMT combo, then anything that has a 3500 pound towing rating should do just fine. All total you are more than likely 2000 to 2500 for the BMT so having 3500 pound rating will work fine. Now if you plan on going larger in size with your BMT combo, then I would stay at the 5000 pound rating or go even higher pending the next one you are looking to buy?

From my past experience in automotive sector as a Service Director, it is not the engine as much when it comes to towing. It is the other systems that many forget about needed, to handle the extra weight and heat build up that develops from towing. As such your needs in braking and cooling increase so not only can you safely bring it all to a whoa. But not burn out expensive things like automatic transmissions.

So when shopping having as 3500 pound towing ability is good for your current combo, but I would also check and make sure, that the automobile has a automatic transmission cooler in combo with the braking and suspension system to handle that extra weight? I would also highly recommend, having the factory tow package either factory (preferred) or at least dealer installed. The hitch components really do fit and look much better than you can get most times aftermarket, and the wiring is in place to address the needs of the trailer without cutting or at least making much fewer splices into the auto's main wiring harness.

A good approach to take when shopping for a vehicle, is to look at the accessory catalog "before" even spending a lot of time looking at the main catalog. This and see what in the way of towing related items you can buy? Then compare that to what the sticker may already denote is on that one unit on the lot?

Hope this helps?
Dave

Dave,
Yes this helps, very much!... And I really appreciate your detailed and informative reply. This will definitely narrow down my search.

One of my favorite potential choices, a Honda CRV ,will fall short at only 1500 LBS. Another favorite, Toyota's Rav4, is available with up to 3500 lbs, so that now becomes a front runner.

Thank you!
John

You are most welcome John!
And I agree the CRV just does not have enough "grunt" to handle that job ;)

I have not had the time to look over the Toyota website in a while, but I would (if you are going that route?) go with the V6 just to make sure you have enough reserve power. Not that the 4 cylinder would not handle the chore, it would just be at its upper limit at times going up steep ramps and steep inclines where as the V6 would be working much less. You do not need HP as much as Torque for pulling things from a dead start, and I like to equate it to having a Quarter horse when you really, you need a Clydesdale :)

Another thing to consider is the design intent of most automobiles. Many have a design life of 10 years 250K miles. Unless you are near or at such with your present 4 runner? It does have a sub frame making it basically a small truck... They are tough units that can handle a lot work as compared to many modern SUV's that are uni-body in construction. I would be half tempted to just invest in the 4 Runner (again not knowing its condition) and ride that horse till she drops :cool:

And please, feel free to drop me a PM with your # if you would like to chat about such and save on some typing :)

All my best,
Dave

Back