Looking for a ss 4 blade prop recommendation

Yump

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
CA
I am looking to upgrade to a 4 blade prop currently running a 5050 15 quicksilver ss prop 3 blade on a 2006 215 T-top yamaha F150. Love it but looking to be able to stay on plane at lower rpm to search for paddies. So anyone have any helpful intel as to what they went with in terms of pitch and diameter? I have roughly #800 of extra gear and people on board average when going out. Trolling motor batteries, 3 people fishing, full tank of gas, and baitwell filled. Please and thank you for all info

Last edited:

Putershark

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
See if this helps any?

Best,
Dave

Yump

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
CA
See if this helps any?

Best,
Dave
Really appreciate it Dave, but I have a triumph 215 my bad i think I might have posted in the general area by accident. Alot of the threads lead more to the reliance series but im looking for a 4 blade prop to be able to cruise at lower rpm and not get beat up by the swells and falling off plane. I can almost do it but when I drop below 25mph gps speed I drop off plane lol. I have searched major amounts of threads and even kept my search words at a minimum but what I have found is that only a couple people ran 4 blade on the yamaha 150. One of them was a 2 stroke lol. Their pitch won't work to well for me. Was wondering if anyone had any first hand info, but the charts are helping me lean towards a 16" pitch roughly between 13.5-14.25 diameter lol

Offshoreman

Recognized Leader Triumph 235 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
I ran the Yamaha reliance series 17 pitch in stainless steel and it was the best overall prop on my 215 with the 150 Yamaha. I tried four blades and a couple of different three blades and I kept coming back to that reliance 17. Overall, it was outstanding.

Yump

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
CA
I ran the Yamaha reliance series 17 pitch in stainless steel and it was the best overall prop on my 215 with the 150 Yamaha. I tried four blades and a couple of different three blades and I kept coming back to that reliance 17. Overall, it was outstanding.
Dang seems like thats what im going to get lol. What pitch did you try in 4 blade? Was the 4 blade stainless or aluminum? Also what kind of gas burn and mpg are you getting with your reliance prop? Oddly enough I know this last question is subjective, but what speeds are you seeing around 4k rpm and what speed do you tend to drop off plane? Very much appreciated for the response!

Offshoreman

Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
I tried a 16 and 18 pitch Yamaha stainless 4 blade. I also tried a 17 and 19 3 blade both in aluminum and stainless. The aluminum really didn't work well at all. Way too much flex.

If I remember correctly, and it's been awhile since I've had a 215, I was getting 4.25 mph fully trimmed out on flat water. 3.21 mph overall, average miles per gallon on a tuna trip fully loaded. And that was with the 17-pitch stainless reliance. The four blade gave me great low end, but really suffered on the overall economy and overall performance.

Yump

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
CA
I tried a 16 and 18 pitch Yamaha stainless 4 blade. I also tried a 17 and 19 3 blade both in aluminum and stainless. The aluminum really didn't work well at all. Way too much flex.

If I remember correctly, and it's been awhile since I've had a 215, I was getting 4.25 mph fully trimmed out on flat water. 3.21 mph overall, average miles per gallon on a tuna trip fully loaded. And that was with the 17-pitch stainless reliance. The four blade gave me great low end, but really suffered on the overall economy and overall performance.
Guess that sums it up im getting a reliance prop hahaha or maybe a rel3 as they're the same design as the yamaha for a little less lol very much appreciated also how do you like your 235? I'm thinking of upgrading in a year or so maybe run two boats who knows lol

Putershark

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
You might find some help here also:

Offshoreman

Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
The 235 is a completely different boat. Loving it! And Mrs. Offshoreman loves the head compartment for sure! I miss my 215 fuel mileage. The 235 is more of a gas hog. 2.6 mpg is about the best I get. But it's alot more boat.

Yump

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
CA
You might find some help here also:

Interesting enough I actually enjoyed that read! I'm going to have to try that out for the 4 blade prop I want instead haahah. Very much appreciated also when I do try it out ill let you know how it compares to the reliance. I also have a buddy with a 17" pitch mercury enertia that is willing to sell me for $200. Says its light years better than the reliance. He no longer has a f150 but thats what he ran on his hydrasport i guess. Now he runs a parker and swears i should sell my boat while the market is still good lol

Yump

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
CA
The 235 is a completely different boat. Loving it! And Mrs. Offshoreman loves the head compartment for sure! I miss my 215 fuel mileage. The 235 is more of a gas hog. 2.6 mpg is about the best I get. But it's alot more boat.
Gotcha yeah i totally dig the ropolene concept. My bilge pump got clogged on me the last trip out and didn't notice cause its on a float switch. Noticed the motor couldn't turn past 4500rpm. Then went to see how the fish was looking in the box. Well I sat there for like 15 min trying to unclog the drain and next thing you know I was like there is no pressure and it seemed like more water was in the fish box. Checked the little hatch lol filled with water to the deck. Fished all kinds of coagulated blood out of the way of the pump and everything was fine. Happned one more time too though. So im going to install a second bilge and keep it on a manual switch . That's when I was once again sold on the triumph line of boats hahaha I could have sunk like 70 miles offshore lol. I went ahead and uploaded some pics of the slay sesh we had. All fish were bled out to preserve the quality. received_354799619131360.jpeg

Attachments

• received_348775436410761.jpeg
    received_348775436410761.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Yump

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
CA
Okay so I'm going to try out Mercury's Enertia 17" pitch prop. A buddy has one that he bought before deployment and loved it. Got back home loaded gear and it was a tad over propped for his boat. He swears that I will love this thing better than the Reliance series. I'm also going to get a Reliance series prop to test out but I was talking to Ken at propgods and he recommended the Enertia for a first choice pick. I'll let you know how things turn lol . Very much appreciated for all input. Hopefully I can still get a brand new reliance off a buddy for $350+tax next check. Then going to play around with the propulse prop and end up deciding what prop i wanna keep as a spare. The real fun is I am going to have to tinker with the PVS holes to dial in the prop to the load lol

Offshoreman

Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
While you are running that prop, make sure you're fully trimmed out and go back and look at the anti-ventilation plate. it is the first flat surface above the prop. It should be visibly skimming across the water at cruise speed and higher all the way to wide open throttle. If you cannot see it, you need to raise your outboard one hole. And try again. Good luck with that prop I'm anxious to hear how it goes.

Yump

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
CA
Definitely can't wait just installed and swapped new zinks on the boat. She looks like a monster!! No joke this prop looks aggressive as hell! Was told to try it out with the ports closed and then try from there to the small holes. Water test saturday will check for propper planning speeds and ventilation plate clearance. Never thought about raising the outboard though always thought it was best to run the 215 mounting as low as possible? I will tinker around a bit though
While you are running that prop, make sure you're fully trimmed out and go back and look at the anti-ventilation plate. it is the first flat surface above the prop. It should be visibly skimming across the water at cruise speed and higher all the way to wide open throttle. If you cannot see it, you need to raise your outboard one hole. And try again. Good luck with that prop I'm anxious to hear how it goes.

Attachments

• 20201106_125146.jpg
    20201106_125146.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 20201106_125140.jpg
    20201106_125140.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Yump

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
CA
Okay so wind storm lasted a little longer than expected. I did manage to go out yesterday to test the prop. Conditions were perfect. Glass on the water. So I did what I could. This prop is amazing! Pops me up on plane in 1.8-2 seconds flat. Just throttle and up! The bow lift from this prop is insane! Wide open throttle is 6k rpm with only me half tank of gas and no bait tank filled. Mind you I have a 36v trolling motor setup on there too. Once loaded with me and my buddy full gear full scoop of bait in the tank WOT 5850 RPM. Max speed from GPS on phone and GPS on fish finder were accurate. So photo of fish finder speed is legit what was happening in the photo. Max speed was 43mph with me half tank of gas. Fully loaded was 41mph only thought to take the photo after I filled up at the dock lmao. Oops. I have a yamaha reliance series on the way from a buddy who sells yamaha parts in Montana. Its slightly used but he said performance is tested before the except in a trade. All in all after shipping $240 will get here in a week snail mail status lol. Also while testing my prop found a paddie that was holding nice size yellowtails. Managed my PB a #26 yellow and only spent $20 on gas so that was a score!!

Attachments

• 20201110_085416.jpg
    20201110_085416.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • FullSizeR(1).jpg
    FullSizeR(1).jpg
    446.4 KB · Views: 5

Yump

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
CA
So I finally got her out there and the anti-ventilation plate was just a tad under the water line. I could see it but wasn't crusing on top of the water. Roughly about and inch or two down under the turbulence. Should I raise my motor one hole and test out? Also have a reliance series on the way to test that out to see what the best proven prop thats been tested for a base comparison. Prop was a serious monster thats for sure!! Definitely happy with the performance out of the hole, planing, and top speed!! I did notice that when planing at a lower speed that the stern of the boat was more down than before forcing the bow up. Pushed through everything just fine in terms of swells. Would rasing the engine help with that? Thank you so much brotha and happy veterans day to all!

Offshoreman

Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
Yes, raising the outboard one hole would be appropriate. However, despite the experts suggesting all the performance improvements in the world, it really comes down to one thing: Are you happy with it? If you're amazed and very happy, then LEAVE IT ALONE!!

If you're still chasing performance and economy improvements, then raise it up one hole and run it again.

So, what is your fuel burn like at cruise and WOT? Do you have the ability to measure gallons per hour (GPH)? If not, start with a full tank, run it for a while, fill it up and see what you burn. Pretty easy MPG (with GPS measuring distance). Then make changes and do it again.

My 215 with a 150 Yamaha got 4.25 MPG best completely trimmed out, and usually an average of 3.21 MPG after a full day of running and fishing.

If I were exclaiming how happy I was like you are, I'd stop there and enjoy the boat.

Offshoreman

Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
Thank you. I was honored to serve and bleed for my country. And you. And I'd do it again in a second.....