Mann's Stretch Lures

MolarBoater

Contributing Member
City
Mountian Brook
After two summers fishing Mann's Stretch lures, I have to say they are some of the most succesful lures I have ever used. Going to retire the Mahi color lure since it is simply eaten' up after all the fish that have hit ....mainly toothy Kings and a shark. I have read that many troll these for grouper, sportfish and wahoo as well. If I ran a 4-5 trolling spread, the stretch lure would get about 50% of the strikes vs artificials with cigar minnows. From a cost stand point, the Stretch 25+ are hard to beat, unless of course you are going after some BIG fish and the Stretch 50's can handle them. They are just too easy to use and catch fish. Good colours are mahi, mackrel and red/white. YoZuri makes a "bonita" which is also a comparable choice. A stiff rod with 30+lb line and 10" ss leader with bearing swivle will help you keep from loosing them. They do float if you break one off.

Caught all my kings on the Mahi color the summer and yes I'll have to buy a new one for next season.

Stretch 25's

Has anyone had a problem with fish tearing out the rear hook on the 25's? Went fishing for redfish last Sunday and had fish tear the rear hook off of three of them.

You mean a redfish tore the back hook off a Stretch 25? Must have been some big ones. I have caught mainly king's with them and their sharp teeth are ruff on the painted ones but never had any hooks fail.

Caught 3 redfish trolling the east side of the pass. Didn't have a scale but they were about 49" in length. Pretty good day except for losing my lures!

Here's your fix. Drill a tiny hole near where your split ring attaches to the diving lip of the lure. You will run a wire leader thru it and attach it to the rear or both hook eyelets. Use a bearing swivel on the other end and you will have a safeguard against your hooks pulling out.
There was another version of this in a past Florida Sportsman or Saltwater Mag in which they did the same thing but removed the hooks from the lure completely, substituted single hooks and attached the leader to the lure via a couple of rubber bands. The reason was for the lure to separate from the leader and hooks by sliding up the line when a strike occured thus saving the expensive lures. The Stretch 25's aren't expensive compared to the 50's.

Stretch 25's

Thanks for your suggestion. I was just getting ready to do that very thing!

Moved into a bigger tackle box and noticed I am using the Stretch 30's mainly, not the 25+'s.....guess that's a good reason why I haven't had any hooks pull out of the lure! I decided to go ahead though and crimp 60lb braided plastic coated wire leaders to them since kings have hit'em pretty hard.

Molarboater:

I posted some pictures in the gallery of the mod that I made to the lures that had the hooks pulled. If it works, I will modify all my Stretch 25's.

Molarboater if you can , would you post a picture of the lure. I am always looking for a good lure.