Man's leg severed in boating accident

RoryWainer

Contributing Member
City
Donvale
Below is an article from today that should act as a good safety reminder regarding ropes, towing, etc.

A man has had a leg severed in a boating accident off Western Australia's Pilbara coast.

The 35-year-old man was working just offshore from Beadon Creek near Onslow, around midday. (WST)

It is understood he was trying to link a boat and barge together that was being towed to shore, when a rope coiled around one of his feet and amputated his leg above the knee.

I am also reminded of the stories about people throwing anchors overboard only to be standing on the rope coils and have them wrap around their feet/legs...:eek:

Eyes on the object at all times.

That is why you lower an anchor, not throw it.

Dang, and I am quite sure other Naval type Veterans will remember the little "life lesson" since we were taught in basic to "always" step on the line (never over it), but never on a coil ;)

This way it will not split you up the middle :eek: (not the exact terminology used in the training session naturally :D) but in case the line does part it will knock you off. The coil example terminology also included the word "gonads" in the same sentence if I am not mistaken :rolleyes: :p

You see Chief I was listening "even" all these years later on that subject! So why did we all have to do all those **** push ups when we laughed at your examples? :( I guess he wanted to "crank it" into all of our brains... Maybe I should employ that method (doing push ups till you puke) for more "life lesson's" for my Daughter? Like "always" look over your shoulder before you move into the next lane? I figure that one is worth at least 30 push ups alone :)

They dont call it a "bight" for nothing!

Back