Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
A great little all around Skiff that does many things well! I am a fan of the larger center console design for flush mounting of all your electronics (just not in all cases) and I agree with Capt Bou on his observation on using the 115 Outboard. They in most cases have the same weight as a 90HP, but you can swing a little larger prop for better launch and cruise numbers. The test runs I made on the Maverick, really made the 115HP shine!

And hopefully soon, a few of us from Performance Outdoors will get a chance to see the new MBG (Maverick Boat Group) factory, and have a set down with their Sales Director for some Q&A that we will post up on the Site :cool:

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
And now, they have the 17 HPX V II Carbon Edition which in round numbers saves over 100 lbs (some say closer to 200) of weight off of the Skiff.

And I also found out, that all 3 models of the HPX can now have the Carbon Edition upgrade made at build time. So even the HPX 18 V (my favorite of their lineup) can have this build process.

Awesome!

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Good little walk through of the 17 HPX S model with some great upgrades and ideas for your present or future Skiff :cool:

And if you would like to see how one of these handles some Seas while making a run to the Marquesas Keys (bucket list item for sure!) while in search of Poons this one you should enjoy. And If nothing else, to help warm you up on a cool night ;)

Off the Chain for sure :p

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Our friend here on Performance Outdoors, Capt Tommy Derringer was gracious enough to send me some pictures of his new Maverick Carbon 18 HPX V that you seen in the video above ;)

As soon as possible, we are going to have a Podcast / Chat with Capt Derringer here, to cover not only the State of Flats fishing in NE Florida, but also his experiences with Maverick Skiffs since he has owned several models that as you have seen. This and had some cool upgrades to better fit his needs for guiding in that ecosystem. Should be awesome to pick his brain and get some ideas to better help you choose your next Skiff as well as some killer upgrades ideas for your present one :cool:

Photo Credit for these great shots goes to Cody Rubner, and we need to secure his help here on the Site after you see some of these shots he took :D

IMG_1460.jpg

Interesting to see how she floats even at the stern with the lighter Carbon deck and Hatch build.

IMG_1455.jpg

Love that 4 bladed prop! Sure it lost a few knots of top end, but they launch so much better and from everyone that I ran they are very smooth...

IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

IMG_1453.jpg

Enjoy and do feel free to ask questions! If I cannot answer them, I have quite a few professional contacts that can :)

Tight Lines!
Dave

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Some more pictures (actually a great slide show) of Captain Tommy's build while she was under actual construction. This from Kent the Media Manager at MBG who has been most helpful to me with this article! Just click on the link below to start the slides:

Captain Tommy's Carbon Edition 18 HPX V Build

Makes me itch looking at some of these shots LOL

And much easier to install the wiring, Power Pole Charge system, etc. etc. when building one as you can see! And something you might want to consider having the factory add on during the build process, rather then later on...

Thanks again to our friends over at Maverick Boat Group!

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Though a little dated, another good video review of the 18 HPX V

Good fitting music always helps :)

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Some other great options and how they look on a Maverick 18

1st this the Guide Mounted Trolling Motor which frees up a lot of space as well as helps get it out of the way when docking also!

guide mount tmotor.jpg

And two Power Poles, now these are the 8 footers and I agree with Capt Tommy that 6 footers fit nicer and help keep from getting in the way of Push Polling the Skiff around...

37773937_10156501339194709_1128501712131194880_o.jpg

But nothing stakes off a Skiff or Boat better, so it does not sway back and forth in the wind, like having two Power Poles Planted :cool:

pro12.jpg

And do let them know the guys from Performance Outdoors.Net sent you when you reach out to them!

Tight Lines!

Dave

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Where most of us prefer to spend more time in our lives :cool:

167393732_2799859403586573_7871384847696385785_n.jpg

And this video should make you smile some if not, you need your pulse checked :D

And do let them know the guys from Performance Outdoors.Net sent you when you reach out to them!

My Best,
Dave

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Slick little video on how they are made

Now I would personally like to see more bolts with backing plates used for things like the throttle, but I guess MBG have tested the clamping force of sheet metal type screws, and found them to work and not loosen back up.

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Another good review of the Maverick and not only on it's design features for skinny water fishing, but overall build quality.

And we have to remember, that our Guide Community like our friend here on the Site, Capt Tommy Derringer:

https://www.performanceoutdoors.net/threads/capt-tommy-derringer-st-augustine-florida.10236/#post-57490

Will put more wear and tear on a Skiff in one year, than most of our members will in 10 years fishing weekends and Vacation days.

More information about the entire Maverick line up can be found here:

https://www.maverickboats.com/

Tight Lines!
Dave

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Love that shot!

90438300_4092344470783703_6204915608736235520_n.jpg

Another one Maverick should use in their catalog / Site for sure :cool:

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
And thanks to our friend Kent Krebeck who is the Media Manager over at Maverick Boat Group he sent me over this one that he took, and edited of the new Carbon Edition 17 HPX-VII in it's element Permit and Bonefishing down in The Keys. Great work Brother, and I am all ready to go if you need any help filming in the future and just some awesome scenes and got to love all that Gin Clear Water!

And looking forward to getting a little of his time in the future to cover all things Maverick in an interview if we can set it up! He though has been a big help to me with this article and some other things that will get posted up here soon :cool:

So, thanks again Kent, and do let them know the guys from Performance Outdoors.Net sent you when you reach out to them!

Tight Lines!
Dave

Capt Tommy Derringer

Subject Matter Expert
State
FL
78F23AC2-94A6-4E4D-8CEF-63556E237EE6.jpeg
Been absolutely loving my new 18 HPX-V carbon edition. There’s really nothing about it I don’t like. It rides great, poles effortlessly, drafts very shallow, and it’s just an all-around super fun boat.

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Now if interested in a Maverick Skiff or another fine product built by the MBG, I highly recommend getting in contact with these dealers even if not nearby since they have trailers and can be brought to you when the paperwork is finished :)

In NE Florida and the surrounding areas, who is the dealer that Captain Tommy Derringer uses, is Atlantic Coast Marine and more contact information can be found here: https://www.atlanticcoastmarine.com/ and do let them know Captain Tommy and we here at PO sent you ;)

And in SW Florida and the respective area, which has just an awesome staff that I have had the pleasure to work with one some projects, Fort Myers Marine and you can reach them here: https://www.ftmyersmarine.com/

And do let them know the guys from Performance Outdoors.Net sent you when you reach out to either of them!

Tight Lines!
Dave