Mega compartment drain help

Cdavies59

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
MD
I hope someone can offer some guidance. I have what seems to be a very common overall issue with water in the inner hull. I attempted to replace the bilge pump and when I removed the screws, water began pushing up through the screw holes. After researching, I added a starboard side transom drain which did not seem to help. I plan to add a port side drain when I can grab another matching plug. Hopefully that helps.
In the interim, I checked the mega compartment drain tunnel that runs under the center console and it is almost completely blocked by foam about 8" in. I'm trying desperately to remove the blockage so I can sleeve it per the suggested fix. I can't find a way to get out. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20210710_191603.jpg
    20210710_191603.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Is that foam or one of hull stringers? When I zoom in it is hard to tell from that picture...

Be that as it may, have you tried using a bolt grabber as if yet? You know one that is long enough to reach down there and grab something, anything, to gently pull it back up and out yet?

949fa7da-2a42-4146-922a-2d3846e6b2f5.jpg

Cdavies59

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
MD
Thank you for you idea! Unfortunately, I learned a VERY hard lesson yesterday. I tried tapping through it with a length of PVC first, then tried to break it up with a screwdriver. That is when I discovered that it wasn't a foam blockage. The drain was clear. It was actually the front face of my fuel tank. I did not do enough research. I punctured the front face of the tank. It now has a flat blade screwdriver shaped puncture. And yes, there is fuel in the tank.
So my next question is what is the best way to repair a punctured tank? What material is it?
Again, any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. And yes, I am unbelievably disappointed in myself. I'm usually much more thorough and cautious.

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Not good... They are plastic / poly tanks and I suspect you will have to pull it to "possibly" repair it this or just replace it.

Check with Merritt Marine in Hillsborough, NC. ( https://www.merrittmarine.com ) and see what they have to say?

Best,
Dave

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Most Welcome!

210ChaosOwner

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
NJ
Ouch, this is not going to help you but it will us. If you have to pull the tank can you take pictures along the way?

I hope this becomes an easy fix. Good luck, please keep us posted.

Cdavies59

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
MD
If it goes in that direction, I'll be glad to post some photos! Hopefully someone else can learn from my mistake.

Cdavies59

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
MD
I spoke with Carl from Merritt Marine yesterday. The legends are true. He is an amazing wealth of knowledge. I wish I had spoken with him BEFORE my big error in judgment! Based on his advice, I will be replacing the tank. Hopefully I will be making the 5 1/2 hour trip to take the boat to him later this month. I think that using the best person to do a job is always preferable, when possible. He seems to fit that title. Thank you again for your advice!

Cdavies59

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
MD
In my situation, my drain wasn't clogged. The "blockage" I saw in the pictures that I took with my cell phone was actually the corner of my fuel tank. So PLEASE make sure you don't make the same mistake I did and try to break it up. I have a 2004 210CC with the 70 gallon tank. The drainage tunnel leading from the Mega compartment to under the center console is only about 8 inches long before it dumps into the area under the console. What is the issue you are experiencing?

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
On the trailer on in the water?

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Some of that does not surprise me which is why they (Triumph) added a false floor to the 210's starting around 05.

So as long as the drain is clear which I do not recall seeing one get plugged up, I would make sure all the hull drains are open and park it with the trailer jack-stand quite high to help it drain towards the stern.

Also, those yellow foam practice golf balls make for a excellent plug / way to help keep water from moving forward...

full

The lid though is not going to keep rain out of them, it simply does not fit tight enough so IF you leave the ball in place all the time, like your bathtub it will fill back up again.

Hope this helps?
Dave