Mounting a bow trolling motor on 2008 191fs

Tom Plantz

Registered Member
City
SODUS POINT
State
New York
I have a new 2008 191fs and want to mount a bow mounted trolling motor (haven't bought the motor yet). It looks like the bow ladder is in the location I need to mount the trolling motor mounting plate. If I mount the plate aft of the bow ladder, it looks like the trolling motor would not be able to lower. Has anyone solved this issue (do I need some kind of rotating mounting plate, or are there other ways to address this)?

I have never heard of this before as being a issue, but have you taken the time to dig though all the 191 pictures in the photo albums as of yet?

How mine is mounted on 2008 191fs

Tom,

My Minnkota Terrova was mounted by the dealer to the port side of the ladder such that when stowed, the motor shaft extends back into the bow seating area, which by the way is a pain!

Since the top of the gunnels are not parallel to the water, the dealer made two one inch spacers to put under the outer edge of the motor to make it level (and therefore make the shaft be vertical when in use).

Since I bought the swim platform/ladder on the back of my boat, it is on my list of things to do to remove the front swim ladder and remount the trolling motor in that spot. I plan on removing the ladder cover so that the motor will sit on the flat area and turning the motor so that in the stowed position the shaft will run along the starboard gunnel.

One thing I did get with my Terrova was the quick disconnect plate...a little pricey but worth every penny!

Good luck with your mounting your motor and please share any "lessons learned":)

Tony (aka FishinFool)

Hope this helps. Here is what my trolling motor mounting looks like. Minkota 80 lb thrust 24 volt system with on board charger.

Attachments

• CIMG1047.jpg
    CIMG1047.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 79
Trolling motor mounting on 191 F&S

Thanks for the suggestions. We mounted the quick disconnect plate for our Motorguide trolling motor on top of the bow ladder hatch. We removed the ladder, drilled through the hatch and into the boat, installed trolling motor rubber isolators under the hatch, then placed spacers made of pvc piping under the hatch and on top of the isolators. Next we closed the hatch and installed/tightened the bolts through the trolling motor mounting plate, bow ladder hatch, pvc spacers and into the rubber isolators. The Motor Guide mounting plate must be mounted very close to the edge of the boat in order for the trolling motor shaft to clear the edge, another consideration for this mounting location was to keep the trolling motor aligned with the gunwhale so it didn't hang outside the boat or inside the bow seating area. We decided to sacrifice the bow ladder because the stern ladder is the better way to get on and off the boat and didn't think the bow ladder would get any use. Sorry, I don't have any pictures available to share (not sure how to share pictures if I did have them).

Need pics!

Tom,

Please post pics if you can...I would love to see the details and what the final product looks like.

Tony

Back