My custom Trolling Motor install on 195CC

Katsuo

Participating Member
City
Simi Valley
State
SoCal
After owning my 195CC for almost four years now, I finally got around to getting a bow-mounted trolling motor. As many of you may know, the bow rails on a 195CC are lower than those on a 215CC, which makes it difficult to mount a TM on the bow. Clearing the bow rails on deployment of the motor was going to be the challenge.

I knew my skills weren't sufficient, so I brought my boat down to "The Trolling Motor Doctor" in Long Beach, CA. We decided that the only way to make it work without cutting the bow rails was to fabricate a custom mounting plate off the side of the bow pulpit. I think they did fantastic work on the custom mounting plate, using stainless steel and Star-Board. Note the Minn Kota Quick-Release on top...

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

The Trolling Motor I chose was the Minn Kota Riptide ST with the new iPilot GPS-based autopilot system. I went with the 80lb 24V motor and a 60" shaft because I do a lot of saltwater fishing in swells and surge. We installed two LifeLine deep cycle batteries in the front hatch below deck. I also had an onboard charger mounted in that hatch.

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

P3200426.jpg

IMG_0399.jpg

Once I figured out how to swing the head under the rail, stowing and deploying is actually pretty easy.

iPilot absolutely rocks -especially the "Spot Lock" feature, which uses the internal GPS to maintain a position. The claim is that it can compensate for wind and current to keep your boat within a small radius.

I can confirm that Spot Lock works as advertised. I took my boat up to the local reservoir last weekend in windy/gusty conditions. The stripers were concentrated right at the main launch ramp because they'd just planted trout. Drifting was not an option, nor was anchoring-up. They don't allow that in this location because it's right in front of the Sherrif/Lifeguard docks) I hit Spot Lock, and started casting. I fly fish, and using sinking lines to let shad imitations sink 40-50 feet into the feeding zone takes a long time. My motor held me in position despite the gusty conditions. I was able to catch this 8lb striper (my personal best on fly).

P3280461-1.jpg

Not long after I landed that fish, the lifeguard boat came over and told me I couldn't be anchored-up in that area. When I told them I wasn't anchored up, they didn't believe me. They said, "you've been on this spot for 30 minutes, we let you catch that fish, it's time to move..." I pointed to my bow, where my anchor was hanging high and dry under the bow pulpit, and they started to laugh.

So far, I love the new addition to my 195CC. I think it's going to transform my fishing. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

NCangler

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Raleigh
State
NC
Beauttiful work Robert and great photos. Would you mind if I moved this to the Articles section for the benefit of the membership? I think it would be more visible there. :cool:

RoryWainer

Contributing Member
City
Donvale
Katsuo said:
After owning my 195CC for almost four years now, I finally got around to getting a bow-mounted trolling motor. As many of you may know, the bow rails on a 195CC are lower than those on a 215CC, which makes it difficult to mount a TM on the bow. Clearing the bow rails on deployment of the motor was going to be the challenge.

I knew my skills weren't sufficient, so I brought my boat down to "The Trolling Motor Doctor" in Long Beach, CA. We decided that the only way to make it work without cutting the bow rails was to fabricate a custom mounting plate off the side of the bow pulpit. I think they did fantastic work on the custom mounting plate, using stainless steel and Star-Board. Note the Minn Kota Quick-Release on top...

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

The Trolling Motor I chose was the Minn Kota Riptide ST with the new iPilot GPS-based autopilot system. I went with the 80lb 24V motor and a 60" shaft because I do a lot of saltwater fishing in swells and surge. We installed two LifeLine deep cycle batteries in the front hatch below deck. I also had an onboard charger mounted in that hatch.

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

P3200426.jpg

IMG_0399.jpg

Once I figured out how to swing the head under the rail, stowing and deploying is actually pretty easy.

iPilot absolutely rocks -especially the "Spot Lock" feature, which uses the internal GPS to maintain a position. The claim is that it can compensate for wind and current to keep your boat within a small radius.

I can confirm that Spot Lock works as advertised. I took my boat up to the local reservoir last weekend in windy/gusty conditions. The stripers were concentrated right at the main launch ramp because they'd just planted trout. Drifting was not an option, nor was anchoring-up. They don't allow that in this location because it's right in front of the Sherrif/Lifeguard docks) I hit Spot Lock, and started casting. I fly fish, and using sinking lines to let shad imitations sink 40-50 feet into the feeding zone takes a long time. My motor held me in position despite the gusty conditions. I was able to catch this 8lb striper (my personal best on fly).

P3280461-1.jpg

Not long after I landed that fish, the lifeguard boat came over and told me I couldn't be anchored-up in that area. When I told them I wasn't anchored up, they didn't believe me. They said, "you've been on this spot for 30 minutes, we let you catch that fish, it's time to move..." I pointed to my bow, where my anchor was hanging high and dry under the bow pulpit, and they started to laugh.

So far, I love the new addition to my 195CC. I think it's going to transform my fishing. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

Wow, very professional job - looks like it came straight from the factory.

JimW

Contributing Member
City
Aberdeen
Very nice mount and fish!

fridaysoff

Contributing Member
City
Leland
Robert,
That is a great installation job.I really appreciate the info on the "spot lock.I fish alone alot and am really interested in the GPS trolling motor for the spot lock feature.Nice fish also.Thank you for sharing.
John D.

HighTechRedneck

Contributing Member
City
Montgomery
Really nicely done.

I couldn't help but notice all the motorguide boxes next to the boat but the minn kota being put on the boat:)

Katsuo

Participating Member
City
Simi Valley
State
SoCal
Battery - charger mounting location

It's been a few seasons now with my trolling motor setup, and I couldn't imagine fishing without it now. It's by far the best thing I've ever done for my boat, and my fishing.

I had a request for pix of the battery mounting location. Today I took the boat out of storage for the first time this winter. Pardon the mildew in the hatch, I only get that at this time of the year, when the rain comes and I let the boat sit for more than a few weeks.

This mounting location has worked out pretty well overall. You can see the 10amp dual-bank charger in action in these shots.

20130202_152922_zps611f543b.jpg

20130202_153004_zpsc7cf729b.jpg

20130202_153035_zps6aabc5d7.jpg

NCangler

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Raleigh
State
NC
Nicely done. :cool:

OspreyVic

Contributing Member
City
Osprey
I really like your taste in batteries. They are the best and last a long time with proper care.

I also like your setup, the batteries just stood out.

Vic

PlanB

Registered Member
City
Algonac
Hello,

So my question is has anyone ever put a kicker motor off the transom? Or is this custom bowmount the only trolling motor anyone has put on a 195? Thank you. We fish in the river systems of the great lakes and vertical jigging for walleye is fun and productive. A 9.9 or 15 stroke 4 stroke tied into the main tank would be great. Has any triumph owners had a kicker motor off of transom?

ty

steve

Muddzy

Registered Member
City
Ringoes
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I figured someone else might have my question when looking at this thread. I have a 191FS and I am also getting a Riptide i-pilot link TM. Unlike the 195, the 191 has a centered bow ladder instead of a pulpit. Although access to the ladder isn't essential, I would prefer to keep access to the ladder when the TM is removed (plus it's easier to mount off the ladder cover). Due to your bow pulpit, your TM is mounted to the left of center, rather than centered on the bow.

My question is this: Have you noticed any variations in performance using your TM when turning left vs turning right? My guess is with your setup you really don't notice any issues. The advantage of your off-pulpit mount is that your TM is still mounted beyond the bow point (called "prow" - I just learned this), whereas on the 191 if I offset the TM mount, the TM will not only be to one side off center but it will be "behind" the prow. The unknown for the 191 might be how far off center the deployed shaft can be before the TM has to work noticeably harder to slightly push the boat to the opposite side it's mounted on versus only pulling the boat.

I get the TM today so I will be able to lay it out and see how much I would need to offset it to keep ladder access. Other threads on this site talk about removing the ladder and filling the gap with starboard so I know that is my fall back option. Thanks for any comments!

Last edited:

Katsuo

Participating Member
City
Simi Valley
State
SoCal
I have never noticed any variations in the performance of my TM due to the off-the-side-of-the-pulpit mounting location. It's turns equally well in either direction, tracks straight, and holds a spot-lock like a champ.

Muddzy

Registered Member
City
Ringoes
Thanks! I'll reply with my findings. On a slightly different topic but relevant to a TM on a 191/195 - you said your spot-lock works like a champ. What is your real world experience on holding location with spot lock? I've read that some love it and others aren't as impressed since the bow can sometimes have excessive drift (upwards of 20' before the GPS self corrects to take the TM back to the spot). This "excessive" drift would seem to be a problem if one is fishing close to structure, land or another boat.

Last edited:

Muddzy

Registered Member
City
Ringoes
Can't keep the Bow ladder and mount the trolling motor to the side without TM being significantly off-center and behind the point. The 60" shaft would probably stick over the side when the TM is stowed and exposed to damage.

The recessed ladder area is a very good place to mount the TM but then the 60" shaft and head projects down the center of the bow and is in the way of the bow platform. Looks like I'll end up mounting it along the port side and I need to figure out a way to level the TM base due to the significant slope. I'll report my solution when I'm done.

Last edited:

Muddzy

Registered Member
City
Ringoes
I ended up mounting the TM directly onto the recessed area where the ladder was. I have it angled so the shaft/head run along the port side gunnel. To do this I mounted the TM about 6" off-center, toward the starboard side. The TM has to stick out in front of the bow so the shaft clears the boat. I mounted the TM to a QR bracket so the TM is easy to remove. I had the boat out on Saturday and the TM worked great. I was only on calm water and the wind wasn't terrible but I didn't notice any difference due to the TM being mounted 6" off-center. My guess is if the TM is in front of the bow/boat then the fact that it is off-center is negligible.

Glen Everett

Registered Member
State
GA
I saw your install and kinda copied it...they say it's the best form of flattery! I used 1/4" stainless plate stacked with starboard to bring up to pulpit level. Then a minkota quick release to modified to the Xi5. Still trying to figure out where to put 2 deep cycle batt's....leaning towards inside bottom of center console. 20160822_122521.jpg 20160822_115511.jpg 20160822_122521.jpg 20160822_115511.jpg

NCangler

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Raleigh
State
NC
Nice! :cool: