Offshoreman

Recognized Leader Triumph 235 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
Well, sort of.... I have been wanting to update my marine navigation network, but did not want to spend the big $$$'s or completely rebuild my system. So, I've been researching. Now, this may seem simple to some, but to me is was deliverance in a box.

I have the Lowrance network with the older "blue connector" N2K backbone for my system that is the heart of my 2008 HDS 10 (gen 1), Point 1 GPS / heading sensor, BR24 3G radar, Airmar P66 transducer and Suzuki engine and fuel data network. I didn't want to have to replace EVERYTHING just to get a faster more functional display, which is what a few manufacturers were telling me. So, I got to thinking:

Lowrance and Simrad are both Navico. Plenty of differences, but much of the cables and software are the same. I shopped around and could't decide which make to go with, how much to spend, how much work I wanted to do and exactly which system was best; touch screen, non-touch screen, hybrids, on and on.

I liked Garmin on my last boat, Raymarine on my first Triumph, but I'm kinda in love with Furuno. All big money. Each of them were telling me all equipment needed to be changed out to their proprietary equipment in order to use them. Drat.

So, I called Navico.

They were awesome! Simply put, I can unplug my 11 year old HDS 10 and plug in a Simrad Go or NSS display and keep running with all of my other completely functional equipment in place.

Then, I called Peter at BOE Marine today. I don't know Peter, he was just the tech that answered the phone. But he was awesome too. He confirmed my suspicions and guided me through the process and exactly which adapter cable I needed for my display of choice. I've since ordered two Simarad NSS9's (evo 3), and two adapter cables. And that's all I need! How's that for plug and play!?!?

My 3G radar, transducer, and N2K backbone all plug right in. All of my engine data, fuel use data, GPS and heading senor, everything. No need to change ANYTHING out. How do ya like that....

Last edited:
Excellent!
And Navico is working hard to take the lead on interchangeability across their equipment lines. Big fan of their gear, and the support I get from them when I call them :)

Yeah, no kidding! All I got from the others (and I've owned and loved some of their products) is "You must buy all of our equipment. No inter-operability".

Navico, and BOE Marine for that matter, didn't care what I was wanting buy, just what I was wanting to DO. Now THAT's customer service.

I must say, however, when I initially called BOE Marine (on a recommendation), the folks there said I should speak with "Jim". But when I asked for him, they said he was out for a few moments and that he would call me right back, "in a moment of two" they said. I called back two more times and e-mailed "Jim" once, with no response for over the next three hours.

When I called the last time, I got Peter. Peter was awesome, but told me "Jim" was the owner. I'm not sure if I'm satisfied with "Jim" as the owner not responding to me or not. But Peter was the best.

Last edited:
A little update... New displays mocked-up into place.

Attachments

• IMG_20190110_163637.jpg
    IMG_20190110_163637.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20190110_163703.jpg
    IMG_20190110_163703.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 14
Glad to see you secured models with some buttons. Touch screens are great, but can have issues with wet / damp hands ;)

Looks good Brother! You need to take me for a run one day :cool:

Anytime...

Very nice!!! When are you going to try them out? Maybe I missed it. What transducer are you running?

I have been wiring all the network. Still waiting on two adapter cables to run my blue connector N2K backbone to the displays (should have waited to praise BOE Marine...). So, displays, auto pilot controller and VHF are in the dash panel. N2K backbone has additional "T" and drop installed for the second display, ethernet hub and cables installed, AM/FM moved to overhead electronics box, pant, pant, everything is there. As soon as the adapter cables come, I'll power up and see what's what.

I am running two transducers: Airmar P66 Simrad for traditional imaging, and the TotalScan transducer. Oh, yeah, still need to mount the TotalScan and run it to the dash.

I'll need the P66 for deep water, and the TotalScan for rockfishing in less than 120 feet, and maybe California Halibut fishing in the bay. Not confident the TotalScan is going to have any real deep water capabilities, but we’ll see. I'll post as progress is made.

I ditched the HDI transducer with my simrad. It was kind of cool, but I see everything I need to @ 200 or 50. I wanted to clean up my transom. Off with the transom mount stuff and sticking to through hulls. Not sure if you want it, but I have a Navico transom mount speed sensor you can have. It was nice because you could compare gps speed to speed over water and see how fast the current is going. I also have some blue 7 pin connectors if you need to piece something together.
Kris

Alright, all done. I moved the AM/FM up into the overhead electronics box. We only put beanie caps and gloves in there (which still fit), so no issues there.

The displays went in, got software updates and I managed to get most of the settings where I want them. Engine data and fuel use data was uninterrupted, radar, sounder, everything works well. The Navionics card slowed the processor some, but not bad.

Nothing to do but get in the water and make sounder settings adjustments and confirm heading sensor calibration.

Attachments

• IMG_20190118_143633.jpg
    IMG_20190118_143633.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20190118_143720.jpg
    IMG_20190118_143720.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 8
I need to do that. This coming weeks' weather is supposed to be clear. Let's hope it's nice and the fish hold in there long enough. If not, we'll take the little boat to Crescent City.

Back