New to boat ownership, new to Triumph

bobguy511

Registered Member
City
St. Paul
Hi All,

I have been fishing and boating for 40 years, but have avoided owning a boat. I finally decided to take the leap and had intended to buy a used aluminum fishing boat, I looked at so many this spring I can't even count them.

Then I came across an add on craigslist for a 1998 Logic 150. I was curiuos enough to check it out, through the process I reserched Triumph boats, when I saw the boat I had to have it! I only paid $3300 for it, but it is not the average Triumph boat. It came with a like new 25 horse Mercury 2 stroke (a 2001), a 2000 trailer in excellent shape, two new deep cycle batteries, a hummingbird fish finder with speed sensor and temerature, plus a marine radio. I took it for a test drive and everything worked perfectly, the 25 horse is little underpowered, but the boat does get up and plane out with two people on board.

The odd thing about the boat is that original owner bought just the hull of the 150. He then built the rest of the boat himself (floors, console, electrical, bench seats, storage, and rear casting deck). He did an excellent job, all the fasteners are stainless steel, the flooring seems to be the same material as the boat (some sort if 5/8" thick plastic). I didn't realize that the boat was custom made until I started looking at other Logic/Triumph boats online.

I am replacing the bench seat behind the console with a pedistal boat seat (much more comfortable). Adding a 55lb thrust MinKota trolling motor and a front casting deck. That should be done next week if all goes well.

Next winter I will replace the console and upgrade the 25 horse Mercury with a 40 or 50 horse (the boat is a little under powered with the 25 horse).

I attached a picture form the rear of teh boat and will post some before and after pictures when I am done.

I already love this boat!
Bob G.

Attachments

• boat - rear.jpg
    boat - rear.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 67
First, let me say welcome to the club, you will find a lot of great people on this site. They say the two best days in a boat owner's life are the day he buys a boat and the day he sells it, so I'm not sure wether to say "congrats" or "another one bites the dust." Just Kidding. It looks like the guy rigged that boat up nicely! Barring any major unseen defect, I would say well done on the find! I hope you have a lot of days on the water in her. If you need any help this is the place to come. Look forward to hearing more from you and seeing pictures of nice catches.

Congrats on the "new" boat. Well, for the first boat, "you done real good!" Welcome to the world of plastic boats and to this site. Lots of great friendly folks on here. We love pictures so please take and post lots of them.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome aboard captain. Nice boat!!

Rare Bird

That's one rare bird you got there,I hope you enjoy your 150 as much as I do mine.I also replaced my bench/cooler seat with a pedestal and moved the console forward to allow for full walk-around,but be super carefull if it has the original gas tank under the floor!My 40HP Honda does very well,but I would get the 50 ifn I were doing it again.Does she have a name?
Michael Fowler
CTBO Captain

Nice boat-fun projects

Buying the right boat for you at the right price is a fun process. Transforming it into what you need is more fun. Keep us posted on the pictures. I will be posting a couple of my projects in the next couple of weeks.
Welcome!

Back