New to trailers bunk vs EZ load

Quag

Registered Member
State
MA
I am getting my first boat this weekend. I'm experienced on the water but totally new to trailering. I'm getting a 2015 170cc 75 HP. It comes with a Shorelander bunk trailer. How difficult is it to launch/retrieve with the factor bunk trailer. I have seen the EZ launch set up with the rollers but hear that long term storage on the rollers can put dents in the hull. Any thoughts on this? Its not a heavy boat and the factory bunk set up may be just fine.

Shouldn't have any problem with the bunks at all. My 195CC weighs considerably more then your 170CC, and I've never had a problem on- or off-loading. I usually have the trailer in far enough to almost float the boat on launch, then stand on the truck bumper and push the boat back about a foot or so, climb aboard over the pulpit, fire it up, and back the boat into the water. If you encounter what you consider too much difficulty on recovery, back the trailer far enough into the water initially to wet the bunks well, then pull back up to your recovery position. The boat slides a lot easier on wet bunks.

What he said. The 170cc is easy-cheesy to launch and recover. I sprayed silicon spray on the bunk liners one time and it was TOO easy.

I've had my 170CC three seasons now. The day I bought it was the first time I had ever pulled a trailer in my life and when I left the dealership I was nervous as a cat in room full of rocking chairs. But I got home ok and practiced backing into my driveway a couple times a day and made some short trips just to get used to pulling the trailer and I got pretty good at it and have a lot of confidence now. And the bunks are fine. The 170CC is easy to launch and retrieve. I've been out many times with a friend who had a roller trailer. I did not like it, and neither did he; his roller trailer was over 10 years old this season and he just replaced it with a brand new bunk trailer.

For your new 170CC I recommend practicing backing up as much as you can. And get the guide posts for your trailer--they are very helpful IMO.

Back