Newbie Compass Question

JVES

Registered Member
City
Tampa
Just bought a small Ritchie Explorer surface mount compass. Is installation just a matter of installing the compass on line with the keel, or is there a lot more involved? Also will mounting the compass next to the VHF radio screw up the readings? Thanks in advance.

Newby Compass Question

JVES
08-15-2007, 08:14 AM
Just bought a small Ritchie Explorer surface mount compass. Is installation just a matter of installing the compass on line with the keel, or is there a lot more involved? Also will mounting the compass next to the VHF radio screw up the readings? Thanks in advance.

Not hard and it is up to you if you want it to be in-line with the keel or for many are not.

You do need to be careful about the placement of the compass around a lot of metal objects as you well know, but the VHF may or may not cause a problem? What I would do is have somebody hold the unit where you want to mount it, and then "key up" the microphone on the VHF and "see" if the compass moves? That would be one thing (since it is not constant) that you could NOT adjust out using the compass key ;)

Hope this helps some?

this if you can read them should give you an idea on how to install. If you cant read them send me an emial and I will send the full size pic to you.

Attachments

• ritchie instruct.jpg
    ritchie instruct.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 23
  • ritchie instruct 1.jpg
    ritchie instruct 1.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 10
  • ritchie instruct 2.jpg
    ritchie instruct 2.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 3
Back