Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
As I made mention on this Thread below:

Been doing some research on how to steady up pictures from the Truck / SUV window for Wildlife or Landscape photos in low light conditions where you cannot really use a Tripod. After reading many reviews on various mounts both low and high end, most of all the product reviews all gave the Nikon 7070 Mount some of the best ratings.

The price for this product is what I would consider about the middle of the road of the ones I looked over. And if you shop smart, you can find them lower then many's full boat retail of around $53.00

Example, here is the BPS listing:
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/nikon-7070-window-mount

And here is what I managed to find it listed as ($36.00) on the Nikon section on Amazon:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00006LRWI/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_fHGyCbWA7D49W

And we wonder why many Brick and Mortar Stores have trouble competing? I can fully understand only showing full list pricing due to various retail agreements. But in this case with BPS who is no small time chain store and that I love shopping in. To not even denote that they will meet or beat any other listed price on such items, kind of surprises me...? :(

Be that as it may, not only can this mount handle Camera's, but is reported to be heavy duty enough to handle both Spotting Scopes and as the name implies, Binoculars.

Once the one I order arrives, I will update this write up with my personal findings and some example pictures :) Now if you already have one, do let us know how you like it and what you would like to see improved :cool:

Good Shooting!
Dave

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
The one I ordered just arrived and I have not had a chance to try it out just yet... I do have the Weather setting up for some great Sunset shots and a place that can best be reached by the Xterra, so this will come in very handy!

What I am impressed about this Nikon product thus far, is how well it is made! It has some weight to it and made of Metal and very fluid in how it pivots and moves. This and not some cheap plastic item that the smallest of turns on the adjustment screws, and it goes from Super tight to Super Worthless Loose :rolleyes: This as well as some nice and not flimsy open cell padding for the Truck Glass, that will just disintegrate in nothing flat... No, some Real World Engineering thought unlike you find with many products, was put into this design for sure :)

It is also reported in the Instructions (yes I do read those, sometimes...) can handle Camera's and Scopes to 6 + pounds. Thus even with my heavy P900 at two pounds. This or even the larger Nikon P1000 at 3 plus pounds (feels heavier then that last time I lifted one!) still gives me plenty of support to spare :cool:

Looking forward to further testing with this tool for sure!

Good Shooting!
Dave

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
So far I have found it to be a sturdy mount! However kind of disappointed that the quick release mount for this one (see below) is smaller in size than the one for my main ESSDI Tripod. Now that is not a Nikon problem either and no lowering the quality of it by any means! Just an observation by myself and something you may need to factor in ;)

14003902_med.jpeg

As such even though I carry both quick release plates in my camera backpack now. I kind of have to plan my trips and camera use some, this to ensure I have the correct one mounted to the bottom of my camera body since swapping them is not a quick 2 second process. You could drop your expensive camera in the swap over if not careful either.

So I might be on the lookout for a new Tripod that uses and fits the same quick release adapter in the near future ;) Finding one (online) that both have the same plate might be somewhat of a chore also...

Should have some shots taken from the new mount posted up here soon and I see this as a great tool for not only Wildlife shots, but Lighting while still safe inside your Truck or SUV. And remember (if at all possible) to shut the engine off before taking that shot :)

Good Shooting!
Dave

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Works great! Just be careful and not hit the power window button very hard or the "auto up / down" feature on your Truck or SUV could either knock it off or push your camera into the door frame ;)

And yes (just in case you are wondering) it fell into my lap on a auto down cycle, but lucky for me I had already popped my camera out of the mount :)

Example of one of the shots I was able to grab while driving along one of the local roads. A little post edit work to remove part of the street that was also in the shot. And it looks more like you are there yourself just enjoying the same Sunset :cool:

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
The Window Mount product works very well and after some time spent in Chat with Nikon, I was advised that this Tripod below (after some testing by them in real time) uses the same quick release base plate as their window mount.

Now I have not tested myself as of yet, but if you are looking for more information on this rugged looking and Camo covered tripod, you can find more information on them here:

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/sro-acc-tripod-adaptors/compact-tripod-realtree--hd-green.html

Good Shooting!
Dave