Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
And the State of Florida / FWC takes the position (from what I have read) that releasing pen raised birds does not help the local populations. OK, I understand that Quail like most birds, have a very high mortality rate of like 80% annually. But unless you start to release birds in an area like where I live that have large tracks of Coastal scrub and Palm Tree farms this or God drops them from Heaven, they are never going to come back... You simply cannot have something from nothing.

So to help with this effort, I have reached out to Quail Forever to see what tips and resources they can provide to help me with my crazy idea to try and get some kind of quail population back onto Pine Island? Anybody who has access to Google Earth, can see that we have a very good mix of habitat that should support them given half a chance to survive.

I sure would like to both see, and hear the little Quail again like when I was young. And sure your grandchildren would also and just not on You Tube!

Much less (maybe one day) be able to put down a brace of Brittany's or Pointers to go find some just to watch the dogs work...

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Yet we still have a few left here in Florida it would appear...
And 1st one I have personally heard in many years, but I was taking pictures over in Lehigh Acres on a photo shoot and I heard him not far off (100 yards or so) and simply could not whistle back very loud even though the little Rooster was responding some.

So I drove over to the next street in this pretty undeveloped part of the county, and as I slowly drove along I heard him a few times. So I got my phone app out that has Bird ID and sounds and started to play it back... Finally got him nailed down to a 30 yard section along the street and slipped out of the car with the phone app (Merlin Bird ID) calling back. Then I finally found / saw him about half way this pine after hearing him call a few times.

So I grabbed a few shots with the phone just in case he split... Now if this one it was not a male, I don't think I would have ever seen any of them. The white on his face is what I picked off even though he was calling not more than 10 yards away from me up that tree.

Then I slowly walked back to the car and grabbed the Nikon. Big difference in photo quality with those Optics for sure :)

Plus that big Nikon Telephoto lens does come in handy!

Shocking how well they blend into that Pine Bark.

So I slowly slipped back to the car and listened for a while and did not hear or see any other members of his covey. I fear, he was a loner, but I hope not! Now if we can just get some planted onto the Island here where we have some more connected habitat and cover for them. I sure do miss not hearing them everyday :(

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
I reached out to Quail Forever again and will be reaching out to the FWC here soon on it. Now If someone in SWFL has some ideas or time to follow up on this project, please feel free to let us know on this Thread. This or send me a PM and I will be happy to share what I have found thus far ;)

Thanks much!
Dave