pamarine

Contributing Member
City
Portsmouth
State
VA
hand.jpg
hand2.jpg

Doesn't look like much, but lemme tell you an 1/8" drill bit spinning inside your knuckle at ~1,400 rpm is a weird and painful feeling to say the least. Finger swelled up a bit and is a bit tender, but luckily it seems I missed anything important like major blood vessels, nerves, or tendons.

Surprisingly (or maybe not), this isn't the first time I've drilled into my hand, but it was by far the deepest I've done it. Brought the part back to the shop to finish the job on a proper drill press.

Lesson learned, use the right tool for the job (ok, knew that already, and will probably still improvise in the field)

Get a Tetanus shot.

Ah, yeah. Pain works great for life's lessons. Glad all still works.

I don't learn nearly as well as I should.

Thats a good one!

2 weeks ago I added a nice 1" gash between my middle and ring finger knuckles on my right hand. I back'handed a utility knife clean across the kitchen while trying to crimp a pex collet. Completely severed the 1/8" vein betwen the knuckles and had a 6" gusher. Wife almost passed out when it spurted all over the kitchen. 14 stitches later... Lesson: when you need 3 hands to accomplish a task, ask for #3.

Lol, something tells me I will probably attempt that at some point. Glad it's. Not more serious.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Its funny, when I was a child I remember looking at my fathers hands (electrician and auto mechanic) and asking him "why do you have so many bumps and scars on your hands?" His reply, and I remember it as if it were yesterday was "They are a record of Man's life, a book. Each one has a story. Every cut, scrape, and wrinkle is tied to an Man's acomplishment or to a Man's mistakes and failures." And he would tell me the story behind each one.

40 years later, he was absolutly right. I can look down at my "bumped and scared" hands and tell you where and when I got every single blemish. From the 2" scar from a 1" wood chisel that went completely through my hand in 1982 to the utility knife scar from 2 weeks ago. They are record of a Man's work.

I think I'm gonna use your father's nugget of wisdom.

I better wear gloves as I'd never stop talking the way my hands look. Great story!

Back