Oil Sheen

BarrNone

Contributing Member
Premium Member
City
Newark
Noticed my DF140 was low on iol last week so I filled it back up, thought it was strange as I just did an oil change 4 months ago. This week I noticed an oil sheen on the water when I put the boat in at the ramp and when I was drifting. Came home and flushed the motor and just for giggles I put a bucket under the prop exhaust and noticed an iol sheen there as well. Any ideas as to what's going on? Thanks.

Could be several things...

1. Leaking Oil Filter gasket
  2. Leaking Oil drain / gasket
  3. Gasket on the engine block leaking (seeping and running down)
  4. Shaft seal leaking / seeping
  5. Overfilled with lube oil or lower unit oil (does not take a lot of oil "PPM" to make a oil sheen)
  6. Loose oil filler cap and or poor fitting oil cap seal.
So after checking all levels again, I would use some laundry or dish soap in a sprayer and rise every off and let dry then see if you still see it after running again? You may be surprised and find some fitting or bolt that is now finger tight, that just needs half a turn to make sung on some cover to correct the issue. I would also check and see if the engine has some kind of PCV system that is not venting correct cause the crank case to get over pressurized and causing some kind of seepage.

Should be a simple fix once you find the root cause and of location of the leak and or spilled oil.

Apparently there is an issue with my lower unit. We pulled the fill plug and the fluid that ran out was the color of coffee that had a lot of cream in it. Taking it in for service. Boat wasn't run for 2 years before I bought it so the seals are probably shot.

Sounds logical and have had the same issue myself. This is one of the reason's I run a full synthetic lube oil in my lower unit since it will deal with water (worse yet salt water) much better than standard petrol based lube oils will. I am also of the opinion that using such saved my lower unit from water intrusion in the past.

Both AMSOIL and Mercury make a good synthetic lube oil from what I have found and I think you will also notice it easier to shift and less gear engagement noise once you are running it.

I'll call the shop and have them put in synthetic lube. Thank you.

OK I finally got my boat back after 3 weeks( they told me 1 week) and after $885 later after rebuilding my lower unit they're now telling me that I now also have a pin hole leak somewhere in my upper unit. They said it's either in my crankcase or the block and as lond as I keep checking the oil I should be ok. My question is, is there anything thing I can add to the oil to stop the leak? I know they make stop leak for auto's but will it harm my motor? I know that after the season is over it'll have to go into the shop but I really don't need another thing to worry about while I'm on the water. Dodging jet ski's and idiot's who think they own the water is enough and now to add this almost makes me want to stay on land, notice I said almost. Thanks.

No, not without plugging up something else that does not need it ;)

Here again you need to find the actual location of the leak and ensure it is not left over from other places higher up, spillage, etc. If metal you can block such issues by welding either using the proper welding methods at a metal repair shop, and or some kind of epoxy filler material like JB Weld.

Larger concern is the impact this oil is having on the water and from when I was in the Coast Guard you could get fined pretty heavy if it is found that you are creating a oil sheen on the water (which by the way is in the PPM range) I am quite sure the EPA would not show you much love either :(

So I would hit the puppy with a pressure washer and ensure you are not dealing with some spillage / residue and once the actual location of the oil leak is found, plug it much faster than BP ever thought of doing :)

Can't help you with the leak but I can relate to dodging Idiots.. Too many people don't take boating serious enough.

Does anyone know what the small hole just above the prop and on the underside of the cavitation plate is? I have a cream colored foam coming out of it while I have the muffs on and the motor isn't started yet. Lower unit was shot as the oil that I drained out of it looked like coffee with about a gallon of cream in it.

Taking it back to my dealer who I know will take care of me. I guess that's what I get for taking it to a local repair shop that was close. I do believe I learned an expensive lesson.

Your wallet naturally, but I would have it back to the local repair shop ;)

Since when do the words "rebuilding" include "missing" something as easy to find as that? What gasket did they leave out I wonder? Unless you smacked into some rocks with it the running at WOT and cracked some metal... I just cannot picture how that is happening other than leaving out something and or the failure to pressure test the lower unit before saying "It is all set Mr. Customer and will be 900.00 bucks when you come and get it :(

No "I" would not let them get off that easy :rolleyes: and would kindly say in my best Desi voice "Rucy jew gots some Splanning to do" :cool:

Can't help you with the leak but I can relate to dodging Idiots.. Too many people don't take boating serious enough.

Same idiots on the road taking advantage of you when towing a trailer!

Well as it turns out, my motor is basically s**t. My regular dealer did a compression test on it and 3 of the 4 cylinders are well below Suzuki standards. He told me I could replace the power head but I'd still have an '05 motor or I could repower the boat and not have any worries as I'd have a 5 year warranty on the new motor. Still trying to decide which way to go but I'm seriously leaning towards swapping the motor out.

How many hours do you have on that engine? Seems very strange (though possible) to have such a compression issue with an engine that is just not that old or has a lot of hours on it :confused:

IF (make sure for that will be the first thing called for) you have all the service records and in my opinion under 300 hours. Then my next call would be to the Suzuki and I would let them know how unhappy your are to be faced with this on such a low hour engine... I cannot see how they should not get involved and at least supply a factory rebuilt power head and call for the original one from the dealer for testing.

I agree and I would not though feel all that confident that the present power head is worth rebuilding if it has failed this soon... Loss of compression can be due to metal loss not only from the rings, but also the loss of metal inside the cylinder head. Dropping in new pistons and or over sized pistons into a head that has shown to not be able to stand up to the wear is not logical and is the sign of a poor casting so I agree with the dealer and not even take the option of rebuilding the present head. However that would be one of my points to bring up with Suzuki! If I got a poor casting on the first one I paid retail for. Then what is to prevent it from happening again and why they "should" get involved. If not, then time to move to another engine builder who will stand behind their product ;)

Another aspect of this by getting the OEM involved is the a check and balance for the dealer. Though I try and take people at their word, we have all heard of more than one horror story of some repair place trying to take advantage of a customer. If Suzuki is involved "I" would feel much better knowing the information and choices given to you are valid ;)

my drawback with what your saying is that I'm the second owner of this boat. The previous owner did not run the boat at all for 2 years as was evident by the 6 hours of cleaning the wife and I did when we got the boat home. I don't know if Suzuki will do anything based on I'm the second owner and the fact that it sat out of the water not running. It will be worth an email to ask, the worst they can say is no, but I don't know if I'd feel confident about the motor as the plan was to try and do some offshore fishing this season. I know it's a 50/50 shot but I don't know if it's worth the risk to me or any passenger's on my boat.

It will be worth an email to ask, the worst they can say is no, but I don't know if I'd feel confident about the motor as the plan was to try and do some offshore fishing this season. I know it's a 50/50 shot but I don't know if it's worth the risk to me or any passenger's on my boat.

BarrNone,
I have been where you are, and it's frustrating. But you have already answered both of your concerns. As Puter said, get a hold of the factory and don't take no for an answer. I wouldn't leave the "rip off" shop off the hook either. He should have pointed out all the issues before repairing the lower unit. And with only a single engine, it just wouldn't be responsible to go offshore with a known potential failure. It really sucks though. I hope you get a decent resolution.

However, there is always the brighter side..........you may end up having to get a new engine and let's face it, with the issues the old one has, you would have been constantly concerned about the repairs and additional failures. And new is always better. OK OK, I didn't say it was ideal, just brighter..........:cool:

Though I agree with your feelings by being the second owner, hours is hours and setting and not running is not adding and real "extra" wear on this engine. Though they do know (or will) that you are not the original owner and is really a moot point. A low hour engine failure is just that. Let me explain...

Factory Warranties are not written (or should be if you stand behind your product) that is only for the original owner. One may need to go through a transfer process, but most of the engine builders I have ever death with just did not care. They put the warranty on the product for X amount of time starting at the in service date...

Here again, you are more than likely well past the original factory warranty. This is why I say call them with the engine serial number and what has been reported to you as the issue and what you are told needs to be done (just the facts) and always remember, you get more flies with honey ;)

The dealer should be able to pull from the ECU the actual running hours this engine has if you do not have a hour meter on the dash. If it sat as long as reported, I find it very hard to think it has a ton of hours on it.

Now how did you buy this boat? If by a private party then some of this has to fall naturally on your shoulders by not having the engine inspected before cutting the check :) Hard for a engine to develop such a rapid wear issue in the short time you may have ran the engine as I read this. However; if the dealer did not inspect this engine yet denoted it was in fine shape, I would also let the OEM rep know this at the time of your call. This way they can add some pressure (where needed) to help correct this issue with the dealer.

You never know, they (meaning Suzuki) may already be aware of some poor castings that made it out into the field and by giving them the S/N number tell you they will be most happy to help you out. Many field related issues are never known by anybody on the "outside" but are taken care of once reported ;)

Bottom line is this, companies that care about their product will have little trouble standing behind them. If it is a true low hour failure that is "not due" to the lack of service (oil changes) they do not want a unhappy customer running around like a loose cannon who could tell others about that (so called) POS they have mounted on the stern ;) They want you happy and to buy more from them and influence others to buy the same :D

Though it make take some time to get corrected, write down when you call and whom you talked to. Secure a case number at the end of your call to make it easier to track going forward and remember what I said about the Flies and Honey :D

I do know, as I had the first repair dealer, check the hours on it and they said that I had exactly 240 hours on that motor. You make a compelling argument and I will definitely call Suzuki tomorrow morning. As I said the worst they can say is no but once again as you stated they should stand behind their product and should be able to offer some sort of solution. I seriously don't think that 240 hours is much for a 5 year old motor. I definitely do shoulder some of the responsibility as I did not have the motor checked before cutting the check but in my limited defense I was going from a bass boat to this boat and I'm guilty of having stars in my eyes. I truly love the boat, other very minor issues aside, but I definitely would not trade this boat for anything. Yes there are some pretty boats that I've seen out on the water but after having the time in with this boat I truly am a convert to the Triumph line. Also I love having this forum to air my grievances and get some really helpful tips from truly great people. I'll keep the update going after my conversation with Suzuki and I'm keeping the fingers and toes crossed that they can come to some sort of a speedy resolution to this as I'm (as well as the wife) are ready to pull the trigger on just re-powering the boat with a different manufacturer as I have just a little bit of a bitter taste in my mouth with Suzuki right now but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Back