On-board battery charger

NJWardy

Participating Member
City
Audubon
I am planning on installing a 2 bank on-board charger this winter. Does anyone have any recommendations? In fact, do you think it is necessary? The only reason I see the need for a charger on-board would be for those occasions when I catch live bait with the cast net overnight and throw them in my baitwell.

Thoughts?

I installed a ProMariner 3-bank (only using 2 at the moment) for the same reason. I can go out in the afternoon to get bait in the livewell then hook up power at the dock to keep the batteries at full capacity overnight while the baitwell runs. It also makes it nice when I get home. I just run a power cord out to the boat and plug in to keep the batteries trickle charged and regulated. I installed a receptacle under above the footrest/under the console on my 215, that is connected to the battery charger inside the console. That way I don't have to open the console, just plug in to the receptacle on the outside of the console.

NJWARDY,
I just installed a Minn-Kota MK-25 2 bank battery charger/maintainer on my 195CC. I don't have the receptacle installed yet like Randy. I do not need a heavy overnight charger, but I do like to know that my batteries are fully charged when I take the boat out. It was easy to install; or as easy as you can imagine trying to work bent over that console and contort yourself to fit in there.
John D.

I'm an old school kind of guy...if it works, why change. However, I installed one on my 170CC to charge my trolling motor batteries. I love it! Do you really need one? No. Does it make life easier? Yes. Just park the boat and plug in the charger. Done. No more worrying about the charge in your batteries. It's worth it just for the peace of mind.

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Just found this thread...just purchased a Promariner Promite 5 and would like to know if install in the starboard rear battery compartment is acceptable...and where would I install the plug holder inlet?

196902241.jpg

196902803.jpg

If you have the room, I'm sure that would work fine. You can cut a hole in the front of the storage compartment or even the compartment door to take care of the plug inlet. Good luck with your install and take a few pics to share.

Tight lines.

This is an old post but I’m throwing it in here anyway in case it helps anyone. I installed a promariner 360elite four bank charger this weekend in the 170cc, largely overkill but I have a house battery and will be installing a trolling motor shortly with two more batteries and I am simply impatient. I don’t get to use the boat as much as I would like so when I do get to go out I want it recharged and ready before I am and I like long days on the water fishing.

I opted for the four bank simply for the maintenance of all batteries while the boat sits, especially in winter when the boat can sit for several months. The down side to this, I don’t have enough space to mount it in the center console without it blocking in the trolling batteries (which would be a real pain when they need to come out). I have seen some people putting hatches on the drivers side which I may have to look at to solve this later on but for now it works well.

I have the house battery under the rear port side seat and tied it as well as the starting battery back to the center console with two 15’ extensions through the existing plastic tube that runs under the floor to the back. That was easier and harder than I expected, once I found the tube it was a matter of getting my hand in there to catch the tape and then it was cake. I then mounted the remote plug in as well as the remote charge monitor on the port side of the center console so it was easy to use when backed into the shop. One other note, I didn’t know how the roplene would do with the weight of this thing hanging on it when it’s 100+ outside so I added two aluminum bars on the inside to spread the weight, no idea if that was needed or will actually help but I figured I would try.

I will attach a couple of pictures but be warned it’s raining here and the boat is a muddy mess at the end of this install.

Attachments

• BA91470E-1CAE-40CA-9A5D-BB9E8C610EEE.jpeg
    BA91470E-1CAE-40CA-9A5D-BB9E8C610EEE.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 17
  • A7943D46-FCF1-4FBA-8F4B-C406349E4BD7.jpeg
    A7943D46-FCF1-4FBA-8F4B-C406349E4BD7.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
I bet you had fun pulling all those wires (not) ;)

But I agree though the temperature is not an issue, the weight of that puppy could justify the extra support of the bars just to help spread out the load and should come in handy :)

I swear if they would have made the pipe six inches shorter it would have been a heck of a lot easier to pull, lol. The 6ga cables to front were not a big deal but you are correct, it was a painful experience getting those wires to the back!

I bet they were!
Was thinking just to help keep the charger drier. Maybe a small Starboard box / covering would come in handy?

Would also help blend it into the console at the same time for the "fashion conscious" Boater ;)

The first time you bump a knee on it after hitting a wave, Dave here is thinking you "may" be looking for another place to mount it just for safety reasons :)

The need for 4 batteries and the space they can take up is understandable, but going with smaller batteries (like Odyssey PC1200 or even smaller) will still give you a lot of rugged storage. You could pair it down to just two or even three batteries and still have a very dependable system in place.

Also (thinking on space and trolling motor demands) a 12 Volt Trolling Motor with 55 pound thrust should be plenty for moving a 17 foot skiff. At present we just have two batteries, but can combine both "if needed" for starting. They are also PC 1500 Odyssey units which are pretty good in size http://www.odysseybatteries.com/pc1500_series.htm and that 12 Volt T-Motor is more than enough power to move that almost 18 foot skiff :)

Thanks for sharing your build, and do keep us posted on how it all works out! :cool:

Dave

Well you are not wrong, the knees are one of my concerns and it’s going to be a lot of cursing my own name if i hit it. I moved the seat back a few inches to combat this and make the backrest into a useable leaning post as I am bit tall and it wasn’t working out that close to the steering wheel. I also agree a box may not be a bad idea, cosmetically I really dislike this location, functionally I figured it is where it will start out and as I get further into the project maybe I could relocate a bit.

I have battled myself back and forth on the 12 vs 24 volt trolling motor like no other but I think I will start a new thread for that conversation so I don’t digress too much here.

OK, an update on the placement. I have taken the boat out several times since this install and I have to say other than the appearance I am very pleased with the placement so far. The charger has not been in the way at all and I haven’t managed to hit my knees. All in all a great install functionally and the charger is incredible.

Back