Putershark

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
I always knew what I needed / wanted in a custom new skiff. And I even had it built out in a excel sheet with tabs for Hull, Engine, Electronics, etc. options. Though a smaller boat, the options are endless when having a new one built. So when reviewing utilization for that much / little space, using excel really helps keep your thoughts organized :)

Problem was, I simply could not find one that was under X amount $ that I liked brand new. This OR it would have been so stripped out, that it would have been just a glorified bath tub :confused: Trust me, you can get a heart attack on hearing what some of these Skiffs cost and though a work of art, do you really want to spend 60K or more, for one?

So keeping that in mind, we kept going to shows and Demo days for reviews and water testing (OK, so that was as far as Maria was helping out in the process ;)) which I give her credit, others would have just stayed home, but she loves the water and fishing!

But yours truly on the other hand... Was reading specs, reviews, talking to my contacts in the Industry, watching the various websites like Boat Trader, Craig's list, etc. Basically a years worth of research and effort as well as playing poker on some (you know the game, let's hold on that one and see if it will drop in price any?) finally all paid off...

The final piece of the pie though was the console? Do you want a Center Console for it's advantages (center line weight balance, built in cooler, flush mounted electronics, etc.) Or side console with the extra space it gives you and less weight? :confused: I always loved a side console and had since I was a kid, but the big kid now, was a concerned about it always having a list to starboard even though a quick adjustment on the trim tabs can always fix such :) Well again, this is why you always water test anything you are looking to buy for I found out in this hulls case, that was not an issue at all.

So I found one, as well as Maria had near the same time online, and that helps! And if I have to explain why, then you do not have a woman in your house ;)

We had also tested this same hull together at one of the shows and loved the ride and stability. Now we had looked at one of their smaller hulls in a effort to save on $ for a new one at 1st. But again, water testing is the key! That one, was just too small and tippy for us...

This model hull though, was so much more stable yet not so large that you needed to spend even more money to power it. As such "we" went with the Beavertail Strike and found a great one, with low hours, used :) Better yet, with all the tools already installed, one needs to really fish the Flats and Mangrove creeks in a smaller light weight shallow draft package.

IMG_0216.jpg

New Skiff.jpg

She also quickly fell in love with the color (quick Dave set the hook!) which I thought would also blend in well with the Mangroves. Think of it as Camo for your boat which is why I always wear a sky blue shirt when fishing to also help blend in :cool: So "we" are quite pleased with our find and how it handles. The F70 is a quiet as a church mouse and very fuel efficient with a 550 pound base hull weight.

Now comes all the work to get her cleaned up back to "my" level of detail, new hull numbers installed, etc. etc...

More information on this model for those who attack the same fishing ecosystems that we do. Really can be summed up quite well in this short video clip from Beavertail...

Tight Lines!
Dave

Putershark

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Now she is all nice and tucked away under a cover out of the Sun and Rain and more important! Off the trailer and on the lift now (more on that major build project later) but ready to go anytime we have a few hours, and need some time on the "Decompression Tank" ;)

DSCN0063.JPG

But she has gone through quite a refit the last few months with new electronics, lights, wiring repairs and upgrades, new sound system and full engine service and hull protection updates. Oh and can't forget our friend and Site Supporter "Dan Roberts" from Lectrotab for all the technical help on the trim tab repairs! I can really get this hull trimmed out and dialed in now :D

Basically, She is ready to hunt now! And just in time for cooler water Big Sow Trout and Redfish Pursuits... :cool:

Any questions on what to look for in a Skiff (for your Ecosystem and needs) or interested in BT Skiffs in general, please feel free to reach out! I have a lot of resources that would be glad to help you also :)

Tight Lines!
Dave