Dave LeGear

Contributing Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
What's left of Pine Island
State
Florida
Repairing paint chips on the front of your Truck or SUV requires one or two things...

1. Some Money to have it re-shot by a local Body Shop and pending the scope of work and the tools that you have on-hand, what you can do at home to save on prep time labor?

1A. Don't forget about having some Line X applied on some of those panels (thinking lower ones that really take a beating) as another option!

2. Or a ton of patience and a steady hand (lack of bugs chewing on you would also help) and use this method spelled out on the video below at a much lower cost ;)

Another option pending the color of your Truck (like K9reno) would be the install of a Matte Black PPF (Paint Protection Film) for those lower to mid levels of the front end say... Parts exposed above and below the front bumper which should cover the majority of the most front stone chips.

See some example uses below

875436766_o.jpg

mattewrap1.jpg

Then use the Touch Up paint system above for the rest of the hood if you want to still have a gloss like factory looking finish ;)

Personally (and just my Ole School Opinion) I am not a big fan of the overall Matte look. It reminds me of primer and unfinished work that still needs to go in for a final wet sanding and top coat painting like when were kids on a rebuild budget, all driving around our "Primer Pickup Trucks" back in High School with the 8 Tracks Blaring out some Lynyrd Skynyrd thinking we were cool LOL :p

However, to help cover larger exposed areas that may already look like a shotgun already hit it. I think the Matte Black PPF is a great option!

I was thinking of wrapping the bottoms of my doors and up a few inches on the outside with this product. It will cover, protect and reinforce a bit the areas that I fixed the rust issues on. I was going to run it the length of the truck side between the wheels. I am also thinking I am also thinking of putting it on the step area of the door opening. After of course removing the little bit of surface rust the is starting around some edges there.
XPEL Black Universal Rocker Panel Guard (9" x 30') Paint Protection Film Kit (R3028-1)

• 91nNeNYsAuL._SX679_.jpg

With so many things related to the move and selling my house I had to put it on the back burner for a while. Things were just starting to settle, but my wife fell in the kitchen the other day and broke her hand. Then today at the ortho for follow up I find out my insurance info is all messed up and they were not in network and I have to start all over or foot the whole bill my self. At least I have gotten to go fishing once. 3781.jpeg

Back