Peace of mind......safety never ends.

Push&Pull

Recognized Leader Triumph 210 / 215 Forum
City
Florida City
State
Florida
Well guys, I finally concluded I can't tread water for 25 or more miles. Plus I hate having to count on others to be able to go fishing. Time for some solo fishing.
So my latest addition is a device called "Autotether". Pretty cool. Super simple installation and a waterproof FOB I keep in my pocket or clipped on my belt......and then while I'm doing my Tarzan act from the TTop or leaning over the gunnels gaffing a fish........slip....splash and the boat keeps right on putt - puttin away, and I'm left wondering whats bumping into my feet......wrong......Fall into the water and this dandy things SHUTS OFF the engine....pronto. Like in 1.5 seconds. More fishing, here I come. And if the anyone hems & haws.....they get left at the dock. :p

Autotether.jpg

Cool looking product and know the feeling Brother, but I still go out anyway :rolleyes:

Now how far will it allow you to roam before killing the engine or does it even matter and is water activated? Can you walk around on deck from bow to stern while still running and maybe take some spray, or would it just be more cost effective to add more line to my manual kill switch?

I use an extended kill switch as Putershark mentioned..I watched the video on autotether and it seems that the delay before shutting down your motor would be too long for me if I'm running on plane. I like the concept and the product but I still use my kill switch with the extension. I want the boat as close to me as possible in a strong current or wind.

I watched the video on autotether and it seems that the delay before shutting down your motor would be too long for me if I'm running on plane. I like the concept and the product but I still use my kill switch with the extension.

When I'm on plane, I'm pretty fixed & secure at the helm. But if your concerned when on plane there is a loop on the key FOB to attach the origional coiled cord. I use my autopilot when I'm trolling and therefore I am all over my boat while underway.
Plus I'm usually many miles offshore. That's when I feel it's a little too risky. Hey, in 40+ years of boating, I've never actually attached the coiled cord to me under any conditions........so this has got to be better than using nothing. :p

Here is a guy that probably thinks an Autotether is a good idea. Ouch!

[video=youtube;ZSxK9bhMNj8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSxK9bhMNj8&feature=related[/video]
YouTube - Boat Crashes into St Lucie Inlet rocks after driver and passengers thrown off!

Ouch! At those speeds, I'm thinking a tethered kill switch is the way to go.

Did I miss something or somebody misread the time delay. One & a half seconds from when you hit the water. That's not even the length of a swimming pool. Let me see a show of hands (truthfully, no trying to look good) of those that actually clip the kill switch to themselves. And not just in real bad weather or at night. You won't get to pick when you fall overboard. Keep in mind guys, procrastination is the biggest regret when it comes to safety. Once your alone in the water.......you'd give up your house and all your toys for second chance at some cheap precaution. :confused:
Boat safe all

Did I miss something or somebody misread the time delay. One & a half seconds from when you hit the water. That's not even the length of a swimming pool. Let me see a show of hands (truthfully, no trying to look good) of those that actually clip the kill switch to themselves. And not just in real bad weather or at night. You won't get to pick when you fall overboard. Keep in mind guys, procrastination is the biggest regret when it comes to safety. Once your alone in the water.......you'd give up your house and all your toys for second chance at some cheap precaution. :confused:
Boat safe all

In all honesty, I use my kill switch lanyard every time ...it gets attached just before I put the boat in gear. I fish by myself alot and I've had a few close calls so I'm pretty aware of what safety precautions I need to take. I also wear my PFD all the time...and I'm a pretty good swimmer. Now it's just habit. If you look at any of my pictures that I've posted, you'll see me in a PFD. That's just how I roll. Your milage may vary.

Getting back to the original intent of this thread, if you'll wear it and it makes you safer, then it's a good thing.

Tight lines.

I guess my point for liking this gizmo is really more the type of fishing someone does. If you run to your fishing grounds and then drift or anchor up, then it would make perfect sense to use the lanyard clip while running and dissconnect it when fishing with the engine off, to allow moving about the boat. Then the Autotether would be redundant to the lanyard. However, my interest lies with fishing solo while trolling. The lanyard would just be too restrictive when fish strike and consequently, not get used at all. I guess for my use I like the ability to use it while trolling and I also get the added benefit of knowing it will also protect me while running on plane when I typically don't use the lanyard. As Cagrove said above, each persons needs may vary. I just wanted to clarify that it will indeed accomplish the function of killing the engine quickly even when the boat is planning. Hopefully I never need it. ;)

On a personal note..........

Here's an interesting consequence of coming across a piece of equipment like the Autotether. Maybe I'm wiser now or just getting less confident in my old age............but I never gave falling overboard while fishing solo, a second thought before. Now after reading stories about this device and then installing it, I think back to all my boating laxity..... and I shudder at what could only be construed as sheer luck that I'm still here. And until now, I always figured it was just my good seamanship. :rolleyes:
Boat safe

I have put a 8-10 ft. extension on my landyard. I can still walk around the boat. The down side is that I have to make sure the landyard does not hang up as I move around (so far no big deal). The auto tether would be nice for the freedom it gives you, but I know the landyard will kill the motor.I would have to count on the autothether doing its "gizmo" thing to kick the landyard free. I fish by myself a lot and I've lost a friend that fell out of the boat while slow trolling and know someone else that the same thing happened to but he was found alive 5 hours later.No matter what system you use I hope everyone that fishes alone will use the autotether or the landyard while boating/fishing.Thanks P&P for bringing this topic up.
John D.

While I admit to not wearing the lanyard myself, I've been out in the Gulf just twice by myself so far. The Autotether is one of three things I've promised my wife that I'll be wearing when I finally get the equipment to go out farther than just the nearest oil rigs. The other two are a good class V inflatable PFD and an EPIRB or PLB. I'm 100% for the Autotether, because I know I'll wear it. Not so sure that I'd stay hooked up to a lanyard......first time it hindered my movement, off it would come. So yeah, I'm one of those mules that needs a swift kick in the backside, 'cause like Capt Bill said, I still forget that I'm not as good as I was 40 years ago,:( in either reaction time or balance, and I know I don't have the stamina to tread water anymore. So yep, it's on my short list.

As an illustration of my obstinence, I was out trolling for kings by myself last weekend. As I sat with the helm seat turned sideways, with one hand on the helm and my feet braced against the gunwale, I kept an eye on the waves and the pole. I couldn't see over the tops of the waves, so I know it was 4-6 feet. I was right near the jetty, one mile out on the surf side, with a lot of cross-currents. I said a little prayer as I was trollin', "Lord, if I hook up a big one, You're gonna have to help me out in these seas." Do you think I was wearing the lanyard? I'll give ya three guesses.....

I did get one 39", and had to drop the anchor to bring him in, since the waves were edging me toward the rocks that were now less than 20 yards or so away. Once the fish was secured, bled, and on ice, I had to pull that anchor up, still pitchin' and rollin'. Wore me out!! :eek: Later I managed a 25" Spanish. Another king humbled me, and took the lure along with him. I never once considered the lanyard......

Follow up. Took the boat out today and tested the Autotether. Repeated the overboard in water and the distance test at least 15 times and it worked flawlessly every time. I am impressed. It takes a little getting used to. when walking around with the FOB in your pocket, you must remember it will activate the kill at 150 feet unless you turn it off first. Once oriented, it is very easy to use. When I fell over the side it cut the engine before I cleared the rear of the boat. Thumbs up :)

Autotether.jpgDash layout.jpg

Thanks P&P for posting your results.I did not know that it activated that fast.I will look into getting myself one of those Gizmo's.

Back