Photo Share

Miranda G

Recognized Leader / Outdoor Photography
Premium Member
State
Virginia
I would just like to thank Dave (Putershark) for the fantastic introduction yesterday. I would also like to say "hi" to everyone on the forum. Recently I have been making the most of the uneven winter weather to get really familiar with the most recent additions to my photography gear by photographing the back yard birds, and the occasional squirrel. It has been good practice with the equipment and a good exercise in waiting for shots that are composed well (as in no ugly bits of yard debris, or other trappings of suburbia).

For me, it takes some discipline to remember to pay attention to everything that appears in the viewfinder and not just snap away in excitement over having a beautiful bird to photograph.

download_20190223_164541.jpg

This was taken on a very cold and rainy morning. I was able to pick up the rain, and was fortunate enough to catch the woodpecker watching the rain.

IMG_1801.jpg

In this photo, I was able to use a wider aperture (f5.6) to blur the suburban background to draw more attention to the blue bird.

IMG_2311.jpg

Lastly, I am posting this one just for fun. I loved the look on this squirrel's face. It is almost as if he is pointing out something about the bird seed mix on the ground. If you can think of a good caption, I would love to hear it. I would also love to see any photos you would like to send my way. Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

NCangler

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Raleigh
State
NC
Here is one I took last year of our rooster (Cogburn) and 18 hens. :) I'm using a SONY A7s II with 50mm Zeiss lens @ f/3.2 1/60 frame exposure.

Putershark

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Caption for the Wood Pecker while looking above! "Rain again... Really?"

Simply excellent work though for all the shots (even Randy's ;)) are very clear for the subject matter and the DOF (Depth of Field) on them!

This though is just my Unprofessional opinion :cool: And that is why we have Miranda G here now, to really educate us on the terminology and finer points of using our Camera Equipment in the Great Outdoors!

Miranda G

Recognized Leader / Outdoor Photography
Premium Member
State
Virginia
Fantastic image, Randy! I love the clarity and the colors. For my images I used a Canon t7i with a Canon 70-30mm lens @ f/5.6 for the birds with 1/800 frame exposure. The squirrel was the same camera and lens set @ f/8 with 1/400 frame exposure.

Last edited:

Putershark

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Fantastic image, Randy! I love the clarity and the colors. For my images I used a Canon t7i with a Canon 70-30mm lens @ f/5.6 for the birds with 1/800 frame exposure. The squirrel was the same camera and lens set @ f/8 with 1/400 frame exposure.
With the exception of the F numbers, I think that most here understand the notations on all the other information. However, maybe you can find one already posted, or maybe post up a good translation on F Stop (what it means and which settings work best for X use?) for the others here would be great! ;)

Thanks again!
Dave

Putershark

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
I will throw one into the mix and one of my favorites, showing an approaching weather front coming in from the West off of the Gulf of Mexico this as the Osprey is watching the change near Sunset...

Putershark

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida

Not as common for us that storms come in off of the Gulf much less, around Sunrise... And the colors though not as vivid as clouds at Sunset under the same conditions... Are still bright and I like the effect of the Sun light is creating with the different shades of orange and white on those approaching Storm clouds :)

Putershark

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Quick one I grabbed on my iPhone... We have some awesome Sunsets many days and mostly in the Summer after our typical afternoon Thunderstorms have ended.
Love all the color!

Putershark

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Time for a Mojito and watch the Sun go down Mon ;)

k9reno

Recognized Leader and K9 Guru
Lifetime Member
City
Punta Gorda
State
Florida
not near as nice as the others here but Ado liked it. So did the birdies.Bird Hair 2.jpgBird Hair.jpg

Putershark

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
My new Outdoor photography Adventure... And I blasted through like 40 manual shots of simply dark sky with the Camera on the Tripod with the remote in my hand, before I managed to grab these few a hour or so ago...

DSCN1215.JPG

DSCN1224 (2).JPG

Need to work out how to make better adjustments on shutter speed, etc. and really see what I can grab. Lord knows we have enough storms and lighting to practice on :D

Putershark

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
IMG_0822LR.jpg