Pink Stains On Vinyl

bplaster

Registered Member
City
Washington
State
North Carolina
When we bought our 215cc in May 2009 the dealer replaced the cooler cushion because it had a pink "stain" on it, which he said was a fungus that was impossible to remove. Since then the bow seat backrest cushion has developed 3 of these. We've tried a non-chlorine bleach detergent, soft scrub and Clorox without success. Any ideas on how to remove these stains?

If the cushion has a zipper, remove the foam and see if the stain is on the inside, then try some watered down bleach.

Pink fungus, really? I had pink stains on the bow cushion of my 190Bay but those came from the dye in my daughter's jacket. The clothes dye never came out, but it did fade with soap & hard work. If it is fungus, diluted chlorine will kill/remove it (but test a small patch first as it may kill the cover too).

I thought mine were from somebody with red Gatoraid. Spray Nine did not touch it.

Try coating stains in 50SPF sunscreen. Friend of mine that works on boats suggested that remedy. I have the pink stains but have not yet tried this.

I checked with the factory on this for you and here was their reply:
There are many opinions and threads on the internet about the pink stain phenomenon. It does seem to be a biological issue that can "infect" a given boat and or boat yard. A contaminated rag and spread the problem. We have not found the magic solution to getting rid of the stain.

I did some research and apparently it's a fungus on vinyl that had not been treated well to prevent it in the first place. Heat and humidity cause it to become active and it feeds on the dirt on the foam, and it's by-product is the pink stain we see. Two items people have tried that seem to work are Ortho Garden Disease Control fungicide, and the other is Oxy-10 acne cream. I haven't had a chance to try either yet, but when I do I'll post the results.

Bought a tube of OXY Spot Treatment acne medication, $4.50, yesterday and applied it to the pink stains last night, then covered them with a towel to keep the sun off during the day. Tonight, all the stains were gone but two, and they were considerably lighter. Re-treated them tonight and I expect they will be gone tomorrow night. It did not damage the vinyl,
but if you have colored piping on your cushions do not leave it on that because it will slightly fade the color.

The active ingredient is 10% Benzoyl Peroxide. We'll see if the pink stains come back later. If not, then we've discovered another product that has more uses than it's intended purpose of preventing zits!!

My 08 191FS made the trip home from the dealer in a frog strangling rain. I had taken the bow cushions out of the boat for the four hour trip and put them in the back of my Chevy Avalanche, but they were wet from the dealer's yard. I had just stacked them on top of one another in the back of the truck. Three of the four cushions had pink stains on them once I got home and when the cushion was squeezed, a pink "sudsy" liquid would come out. Nothing would remove the stains. The dealer said it was glue reacting with the water and replaced the cushions. I am very careful now to place my cushions "vinyl to vinyl" when I store them wet so the black backing never touches the vinyl and I have not had a problem since.

Tony

My vinyl has had several pink spots since I picked the boat up new last year. So, the OXY10 treatment is of interest to me. But since OXY10 is a brand formula of benzoyl peroxide, I'm going to give hydrogen peroxide a go first. It's really cheap, and I've got a quart of it just sitting around waiting for my next tango with the barbed wire or briar patch. So we'll see if it gets rid of the pink stuff, too.

Had the same "Pink Spots" on three places in my 195CC. Picked up some Walgreen's brand OXY 10 gel and tried it. Just applied it directly to the spot and after a day, most of the pink had faded. Reapplied and covered with towels as suggested in one of the other posts. Seems to be working well and the Walgreen's brand was about $3.50 for a tube. I think I agree with one of the other posts that the Benzoyl Peroxide must be the important ingredient. Will post later on final results!

Follow-up from earlier post. After a second application, my pink stains are gone! Just one word of caution. If applying near any fabric or vinyl with color in it, use caution. The stuff did slightly discolor some of the blue welting on one of my bolsters. Other than that, the job is complete. Thanks to whomever discovered this process!

Here in Quebec it's impossible to find 10% peroxide acnea cream. I found 5% one and used it to clean those pink stains that were colonisating my seats cushions and il worked fine. The biggest (and oldest) stains disappeared with two or three applications of cream with an old toothbrush. Thank you very much for those who made search and shared their results.

When we bought our 215cc in May 2009 the dealer replaced the cooler cushion because it had a pink "stain" on it, which he said was a fungus that was impossible to remove. Since then the bow seat backrest cushion has developed 3 of these. We've tried a non-chlorine bleach detergent, soft scrub and Clorox without success. Any ideas on how to remove these stains?
Mine had same issue and all covers were replaced by either dealer or manufacturer. ..not sure which, alp I know is I did not pay for it!

Bought a tube of OXY Spot Treatment acne medication, $4.50, yesterday and applied it to the pink stains last night, then covered them with a towel to keep the sun off during the day. Tonight, all the stains were gone but two, and they were considerably lighter. Re-treated them tonight and I expect they will be gone tomorrow night. It did not damage the vinyl,
but if you have colored piping on your cushions do not leave it on that because it will slightly fade the color.

The active ingredient is 10% Benzoyl Peroxide. We'll see if the pink stains come back later. If not, then we've discovered another product that has more uses than it's intended purpose of preventing zits!!
I’m very new, I only joined just to get the exact bottle of the item purchased to remove the pink stains.. I searched Oxy10 and there is like 5 different ones ranging from $9-$27 do you mind replying with a picture :)

Had the same "Pink Spots" on three places in my 195CC. Picked up some Walgreen's brand OXY 10 gel and tried it. Just applied it directly to the spot and after a day, most of the pink had faded. Reapplied and covered with towels as suggested in one of the other posts. Seems to be working well and the Walgreen's brand was about $3.50 for a tube. I think I agree with one of the other posts that the Benzoyl Peroxide must be the important ingredient. Will post later on final results!
Can you post. Picture of the oxy10 please, when I searched there were 5 types to choose from :)

Back