Popping sound

Alex621

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
CT
I just got in from a day on the water and noticed a popping sound my engine was making unrelated to throttle or otherwise good running performance. I came across this from someone else that’s describes it well on the same motor.

Popping sound F60TLR
10-12-2012, 11:53 AM

I have an 2007 F60TLR that makes a loud pop when idling after a short run. It reminds me or sounds like a metal exhaust contracting while cooling down. I have also heard this sound after shutting down the motor after a wash. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this sound might be?

I would also add that it sounds a little like popping a dent in or out of a soda can. And I definitely heard it after the boat was pulled out of the water and turned off for at least 5 minutes while I was doing my trailer straps. ????
Not sure how worried I should be....

Oh, there was no link. Just copied text. The only reply to the text I quoted was get it checked at a Yamaha dealer. I will see if I can grab that video tomorrow. Could an oil filter make that sound?

The reason I throw out the oil filter question is that when we looked under the cowling the one thing that looked like it could make a noise like that was the oil filter, but we thought that impossible. And today at idle I was throwing a little blue smoke. Didn’t even worry me that much but then I was thinking something like a valve acting funny and oil pressure causing it. My mechanical knowledge is not that in depth to know if that’s even possible.

Oil filters have (at least quality ones do) pressure valves in them so "if" the filter becomes plugged, oil flow is not stopped. And the many thousands of them I or my Techs that worked for me have swapped out, I have never heard of any of them making sound.

Be that it may, simply hydraulic pressure since you cannot compress a fluid (which by the way, kind of shoots that High Pressure Fishing is harder theory in the rear end since in the water they do not feel it) I would think... Logically... That if you had excessive pressure to the point you had some kind of "Water Hammer" type of sound. That either the seal on the filter would blow out, or it would pop that filter at one of the seems like a balloon ;) I would also think it would launch the dip stick, and pop the oil fill cap since they are not held on as tight as a properly installed Oil Filter.

So much for the Theory since we cannot hear or see this happening in real time, so I would check the following items...

1. Check the oil level once cool and see IF it is overfilled? Have seen engines designed for 4 quarts have 8 in them from someone not paying attention to what they were doing or in a rush.
  2. Is this the correct Yamaha Filter designed for that year and model Engine? This or is it an aftermarket one that is not designed to OEM specs OR too big and rubbing inside the cowling? And is this after a recent Oil Change this started (simple cause and effect) Troubleshooting at that point OR as I like to call it the "Since You" syndrome... Since you just did X it now does that? Which in many cases does not hold any water BUT something to always consider if the last repair or maintenance service now impacts present operation.
  3. Is it now overheating? Maybe one of the Thermostats is sticking or full of salt now that simple flushing is not clearing? I would not mess around with for long and just have the T-Stats replaced and yes, some engines have more than one. I would also have a new water impeller installed at the same time for if this a new engine to you, hard to tell how well it was serviced in the past short of see past repair orders.
  4. Blue smoke from a 4 stroke engine is of some concern, could be an indicator of worn rings, worn valve seals, leaking head gasket allowing water to get into the cylinders while ruining, etc. Usually "Blue Smoke" and not blue looking steam is oil related, Again is it simply over filled with oil and blowing up past the rings? Is the PVC valve (pending how equipped) or system having troubles? Again, seeing it run and hearing that noise would help greatly!
  5. Lastly Blue Smoke could be UN-burned fuel and anything from a worn spark plug, to worn plug wires, to even a plugged fuel injector can cause such. And I doubt that engine has a O2 sensor, but it if all gummed up or not sending the correct signal back to the ECU to make the needed correct and real time Air / Fuel mixture adjustments could cause such. You would be shocked how many times I have seen such operations due to the ECU operating in "Limp Home" mode due to a weak battery or loose ground wire causing the ECU to drop below 10.5 VDC and it going (for a better lack of terms) simply Brain Dead... I am just not well versed on that year 60 HP Yamaha is designed and could even have a Carburetor on it?

Hope this helps and lots of simple things to check I agree, but many times it is the simple things (remember the KISS system) that is giving you the most grief.

Lastly do not fall under the many times wrong path of swapping out expensive sensors, etc. due to a long list of codes stored in the ECU? Operating "any" ECU controlled engine with a weak battery, loose ground, bad spot on the Ignition switch, can raise havoc with the ECU and the respective voltage drop usually fires false codes found on the test scanner with the 1st one many times being the O2 sensor.

Let us know what you find out! Will be interesting to hear your findings (what corrected it in the end) and record here for others, the cause and effect on any Marine Engine showing strange operating conditions!

Best,
Dave

Back