Portable fuel tanks!

Mud Runner

Participating Member
It's been a year and a half since our marina and rental fleet has switched to to E-10 ethanol fuel. I have had some of our rental skiff come down with starting issues through the year and yesterday had a customer break down(first one). After delivering a replacement tank to him, I found that the plastic pickup tube had dropped away from the plastic pickup body. This has been happening too much. The only thing I can attribute this to is the use of E-10. Prior to that I had not had one tube drop off. The tubes are made of an opaque white plastic material. I thought this would be a good heads up to those of you that use portable tanks in an E-10 area.

Randy,
I know you'll be reading this and since the Triumph line has a poly tank, you could run this by Triumph and see what their take is.

Thanks
Carlos

Ethanol E10 fuel and Triumph fuel tanks

I contacted Triumph about the Ethanol/E10 fuel and its possible effects on plastic fuel tanks. Triumph contacted their fuel tank supplier and received this response which they forwarded to me:

"I have copied and posted in RED here the important parts of the emails that have gone back and forth.
Here is the answer to your question: "Are you aware if Triumph's fuel tanks and parts of the fuel tanks can and will withstand the use of E-10 ethanol fuel?"

Answer:
The Energy Policy Act of 2005 requires ethanol production to nearly double in the US by 2012. The EPA, which is responsible for setting Federal Guidelines that regulate fuel content, is allowing a 10% ethanol and gasoline blend for common engine use: percentages higher than E-10 are currently prohibited. The potential effects of E-10 and E-85 fuels on existing marketed products remain one to be wary of:

1. Ethanol is hygroscopic, mixing more easily with water than gasoline.
Fuel Tank Shell will not be impacted.
May lead to serious damage to some fuel system components- regular
maintenance recommended.
2. Ethanol increases fuel electrical conductivity.
Promotes metal corrosion of system components
Most of the "molded in inserts" are encapsulated thus a non issue.
We are waiting to hear back from our sending unit companies to validate their senders are E-10 compatible.
3. Ethanol blends, such as E-10 affect the integrity of some gaskets and other non metal materials.
Can cause common materials to swell in excess of 35% and shrink by 6%.
Already working on improving our pick-up tube material to provide
greater compatibility with blends.

With this being indicated fuel systems going forward will need Water separation filters, which Moeller Marine can provide. This will reduce and minimize Ethanol related issues."

Randy,
Thanks for the legwork on this issue. The way I see it, the tanks on Triumph boats will be OK but the pickup tubes will possibly be subject to swelling and falling off with the potential to leave someone stranded. I'll be more vigilant with my Triumphs but you'll never know until the tube does fall off. :confused: :eek:

Definitely something to have our dealers check when we have the motors serviced.

Quick Story (yeah...they always start out "quick"): I had a Yamaha 4 Stroke waverunner prior to my Triumph. When they switched to E-10, I was unaware and later read that your first tank of the new gas should be as empty as it can be prior to filling up because the fuels do not mix well. Also, I was unaware at the time, but my fuel cap did not have a rubber seal on it (I bought this new). Soon after the fuel switch, my ski became sluggish and I spent the next 3 years trying to get it fixed...2 different dealers tried to fix it. After $3k...they finally replaced the injectors and it solved the problem. I sold it.

As it turned out, because of the bad seal on the cap and the water friendly properties of the E-10 fuel, the fuel was absorbing water from the moist shore air.

Moral of the story: I always ensure a good seal on the cap and will blame the alcohol for any future engine "sluggishness" first.

I also do not buy my fuel on the water since they are all e-10, even though my boat is moored. I had a 14 Gal portable tank on wheels that I use. It has a hose and nozzel.

33631_lg.gif

http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/200325161.htm

NJWardy,
I've seen all sorts of problems arise because of E-10. Most of them have been with older boats and engines that have run with MTBE fuels. They have left a coating of brown that the E-10 (solvent) has loosened and created gunk blockages. Not many have been water related. On the smaller engines, I have seen some water accumulation My lawn and garden equipment have had some. Fortunately my personal engines have not had any problems because they are not that old. I wish I could carry down my fuel but it holds 210 gals. I do use a fuel stabilizer and Startron on a regular basis.

With the portable tanks that I mentioned previously, I guess the E-10 has caused the pickup tube to swell and drop off.

Well,
It looks like I spoke too soon. I am now one of the E-10 victims. Last Friday in preparing for an annual charity fishing trip, I fueled up my boat with 60 gallons.. When I finished fueling I smelled gas but thought it was a slight over flow. I moved th boat from one marina to one closer to the event. When I got there I still smelled gas. I opened the hatch to the bilge to find fuel a the bottom. After searching, I found that the 1 1/2 fuel fill was trash. It was cracked from top to bottom, even on the outside. This boat is only four years old. Hopefully the new hose won't have the same results.

Randy,
with your permission, I'd like to copy and paste the letter from Moeller for my customers and the other website that I am a member of. If you would rather not, it's OK.

Carlos

Carlos, Thank you for asking. Let me check with them first since it is not really mine to authorize. :)

Carlos, I checked with the folks that produce the fuel tanks for Triumph boats and they are okay with reposting that information. In fact they are working on a new website that will have a section to answer questions and concerns like these. I've asked permission for us to link to it when it is ready. ;) Carlos, again thank you for asking.

Randy,
Thank you not only for allowing the information to be used but also for your service in the form of the Triumph Owners website.

Carlos

Back