Possible new Triumph 170CC owner in Northern Australia

M

Monty

G'Day,
I'm considering purchasing a Triumph 170CC for use in the Great Barrier Reef waters off Townsville, Queensland, Northern Australia.
The main purpose will be for lure fishing for Barramundi and other better eating fish such as Mangrove Jacks and crabbing up mangrove lined creeks. Also, when the weather is suitable, visiting some of the Barrier Reef Islands and reefs for line fishing, snorkling and overnght camping.

Unfortunately, I'm some 1500 kilometers (approx. 1000 miles) from the only Triumph dealer in Australia so I'm looking for any advice and ideas for the configeration I have in mind.

I will be reviewing the articles posted to date and I would appreciate any help and suggestions to questions asked in the near future.

Have a good day.

Monty Mahoney

Ok guys now I dont want to hear any of us in the the US complaining, oH I have to drve 4 hrs to my triumph dealer. It apparently could be worse. The 170cc would be a good boat for what you describe. I own a 210cc, hopefully one of the many 170 owners will step up and give you some ideas. I think it would do you fine with just a very basic setup.

The 170CC is a great boat...you could do a lot worse. I've had mine a little over three years now and I still love it every time I'm in it. It's the perfect boat for what I do. I think you will be very happy with the 170CC...buy it and don't look back. Good luck.

BTW...my dealer is 10 miles away...sorry. :eek:

Monty,
I drove a good way to pick up my 170 and it was a cold, windy day. Because of the weather and the long drive (only 440 miles) I didn't do a thorough enough job of checking out the machine or spending long enough on a cruise. Now that things are sorted out, I am very happy. The 170 sounds great for your use.
On your test run, make sure it can idle in the water for 15 minutes or so. If it sucks the gas line dry, have the dealer pull the entire fuel pickup and replace the cracked hard plastic line. That was the only real problem I had and was able to fix it myself with parts from my dealer.
I enjoy the tough little boat a great deal.

Back