Power Inverter

cagrove

Contributing Member
Has anyone installed a power inverter on your boat to convert from 12V to 120V to run standard household tools, etc.? Just curious if there are any related hazards that I might encounter being in a marine environment.

Thanks in advance.

sounds like you are getting ready for a big screen t.v chuck:):):) come to think of it thats not a bad idea you can watch ballgames and fish at the same time. it doesnt get any better than that.

Inverters

Depending on th etype of inverter, you may experience surging when using mtorized appliances. This is due to the inverter's output being square wave instead of pure sine wave like shoreside AC. Also, a cautionary word is in order to all who are around your boat. AC voltages can kill, and when used in a marine environment become especially hazardous. Most inverters have very large capacitors which can release a large amount of current and generate an electrical shock even after DC power is removed. Always allow sufficient time for th inverter to discharge before disconnecting the DC wires for service or removal.

Depending on th etype of inverter, you may experience surging when using mtorized appliances. This is due to the inverter's output being square wave instead of pure sine wave like shoreside AC. Also, a cautionary word is in order to all who are around your boat. AC voltages can kill, and when used in a marine environment become especially hazardous. Most inverters have very large capacitors which can release a large amount of current and generate an electrical shock even after DC power is removed. Always allow sufficient time for th inverter to discharge before disconnecting the DC wires for service or removal.

I appreciate your words of caution and will take heed!

sounds like you are getting ready for a big screen t.v chuck:):):) come to think of it thats not a bad idea you can watch ballgames and fish at the same time. it doesnt get any better than that.

Yep...football season will be starting soon...gotta get ready! Now all I have to figure out is where to put the recliner!

Back