Prepping the outboard motor for winter storage

A

Aqualab

Just wanted to get some thoughts/opinions on whether fellow Logic/Triumph boat owners "fog" their motor as part of your winter storage prep and do you drain your fuel tank or add an additive (marine sta-bil) to the tank? My boat will be stored in my unheated attached garage through the winter up here in upstate NY. Making room now to stow it in the garage.

Thanks,
Bill

Bill,
I live in NC and I do not winterize my motor.We have enough warm days during the winter to start it up and let it run on the ear muffs every couple of weeks.I do use a sta-bil type product in my fuel tank year round.I use Startron. I have read too many horror stories about ethenol problems with boat motors due to the lenght of time gas sits in our boats without being used.

fuel stablizer for sure... and fog if its a 2 stroke, you should spray through the carb(s) and then remove the spark plugs and spray in each cylinder also. once all back together pull the lanyard (to kill the spark) and turn it over a few times to spread the fogging oil within the cylinders. Also a perfect time to drain and refill your lower unit oil to make sure it has no water in it.

and store the motor vertically to ensure all water drains.

Back