Prop question for a 2006 150HP

SubmersibleGeek

Registered Member
City
Marina
Hey all,

I have a 2007 215CC w/ 2006 150 Hp Suzuki. The motor has 1.7 hours on it and I have a few questions.

First, how should I approach the break in with 1.7 hours. The last owner put 1 hour on it "cruising around a local lake" and I put .5 hours on it in the sea trial. Not knowing exactly how it was run I was going to just go back and start the break in period like it has no hours. The other option would be to pick up the break in at the 2 hour point and go from there. Any suggestions?

Also, what prop should I be running on this set up. The guy I bought the boat from gave me the 2 props he had for the boat but my suspicion is that the pitch is too high. The props I have are

3x15x21
3x14.75x23

any opinions on the props.?

I'll let other Suzuki owners speak to the prop setup, but I would pick up the breakin as if the boat was new just to be safe. Congratulations on picking up a boat with the fewest hours I've heard of! :)

submer go to the 215 forum and do a search useing the word prop you will find alot of good info .it would be nice to know your top rpm and top seed and what the props are made out of. for some one to help you hope this helps i am runing a viper 3x14.5x 18 on my boat with a 150 hp motor has alot of hole shoot and top end is about 43 44 mgh at about 5200 rpm.. good luck

Both props are stainless but I can't speak to the speed or rpm yet. he motor only has 2 hours on her.

Prop info

I don't know about the Suzuki website but the yamaha site has performance bulletins available for each motor and actually has Triumph boat performance sheets with their motor and the factory prop info. Might be worth a check. Yes I'm still jealous you lucky guy.

submer how long does it take for you to get on plan its sound like to me you have top end props that will leave you with no bottom end to get on plan...........

I'll tell you for sure after this weekend but I think you are correct. From the 20 minutes I spent on here during a test ride I was shocked how much time and throttle it took to get on plane. At the time I was comparing the 215CC's performance to a 170CC that seemed to jump right out of the water and I attributed the difference to boat size. But after more thought I think prop had something to do with it.

Sub_Geek,

My 215CC TE came with the 3X15X21 stock, just and FYI.

OK, I finally put the boat back together, put her in the water and completed most of the break-in period. Got a few preliminary numbers. I was running 26 mph at 4200 rpm trimmed all the way down. Trimmed up I got 28-29 mph. This was with 2-3 ft seas and 6-8 ft swells. I was also able open her up long enough to get max rpm but don't have a speed to go with it. She topped out at 5200rpm. Do these sound like decent numbers.

Suzuki specs say the max operating range is 5000-6000 rpms. Is 5200 far enough into the operating range or should I try and prop down to get more revs.

At the time the boat had 3/4 of a tank, 580lbs of people weight and another 150 lbs of dive gear on it.

sub my boat will do 30mph at 4000 rpm with about the same weight on her ..so you are not doing to bad ... top speed is about 46mph at 5200 rmp on a lake.. hope this helps

SG,

I run a 140 Suzi on my 210CC. Your motor should WOT at 6,000 to 6,200 rpm, just as mine does. Because my motor has less HP I will only comment that I run a Pro-Pulse prop at the 18P setting. It is a four blade chopper style. With a normal fuel and passenger load, near what you were reporting, I can just get it to the 6,200 rpm and my speed is 37 mph measured with the GPS.

I would recommend you get the motor broke in to a point you are comfortable with it and then see if you can attain top rpm at WOT. If not, then you are trading fuel comsumption for a couple of mph top end potentially. If you run in seas like you mentioned earlier, then you will get better overall performance with a slightly shorter pitch. A motor that cannot attain full rpm will have to work harder (fuel comsumption) at the WOT setting. Also the hole shot or time to plane will be longer.

Hope this helps you.

Codfish

Back