Prop selection??

JGL

Participating Member
City
Limerick
I have a 191FS with a Suzuki 140 HP engine currently running with the supplied 3X13X21 aluminum prop. Max. RPM reached is 5000 (WOT), with a speed of 35 MPH (GPS). Boat had 1/2 tank of fuel and 2 adults and 4 young children aboard. Specs. say engine should top out at 5600 to 6200 RPM at WOT. Adjusting the trim made no significant difference in WOT results. Anyone running a different prop care to share their experience?

Cincinnati

Contributing Member
JGL said:
I have a 191FS with a Suzuki 140 HP engine currently running with the supplied 3X13X21 aluminum prop. Max. RPM reached is 5000 (WOT), with a speed of 35 MPH (GPS). Boat had 1/2 tank of fuel and 2 adults and 4 young children aboard. Specs. say engine should top out at 5600 to 6200 RPM at WOT. Adjusting the trim made no significant difference in WOT results. Anyone running a different prop care to share their experience?

I'll start out by saying that my post will likely not be of much help given we have different motors... I've got a Honda 130 running a 13.25x17. I can get at max rpm - 5,500 - 6,000 at a few mph faster than you (per my Garmin). But what is more important to me is trolling speed. With the 17P, I can troll at only 2-3 mph at idle. Anything faster is too fast. So I'm happy. Normally a larger pitch is faster but may also limit getting to your rpm limit.

But you had six people on board and I've not had that much weight, plus the 191 FS is heavyer than the 190 CC (I think). So even less of a comparison. I would suspect that you wouldn't be able to get much bow out of the water with that weight and, therefore, you're pushing a lot of water. Actually, 35mph is fast with that load.

JGL

Participating Member
City
Limerick
Cincinnati, thanks for the input. Looked at my prop today, it is actually a 14X21. I am thinking of trying a 14X19 to see if it lets me get to Suzuki's recommended WOT RPM values. The boat will be used mostly for lake/inshore fishing and family tubing/knee boarding.

B

Big Rich

191 Fs

I also have a 2005 191 FS. I have a question. How and if did you install your fish finder. I am running a 19 pitch and getting about 5200 rpm with 3 adults, 1/2 tank and very little gear. I am thinking of trying a 17. I have only had the boat in the water very little and still trying to figure everything out. What state do you live in?

Sea.P.A.

Registered Member
City
Evans
propping the suzukis

I had a heck of a time finding the right prop for my Johnson 115 4S. (same as the suzuki 115 4S). Had a 21 and couldn't get anywhere close to the recommended RPM before I went up any further I had a prop guy in Oklahoma City recommend a used 19" SS and I am now missing the WOT recommendation by about 500 rpms trimmed all the way down and getting close with it trimmed up. I had started with a factory 17 then to 19 then to 21 all aluminum I was getting pretty frustrated as I was the first to have an '03 190Bay with an '03 Johnson 115 4S and no one could get it right. Lots of wasted trips back and forth. Still have it on and love the performance I get.

ILLOGICAL GGC

Contributing Member
City
Washington PARK
State
NC
i have the 140 johnson on my 210cc and it came with the 21"pitch s.s blade also. like you i couldnt get above 5200 and could never get on plane . i opted for the propulse variable pitch 4 blade prop and it is the ticket for me. i think the 8902 is the one for the 140 and it has 5 diff pitch adjustments. i was able to go from 5200 to 6300 from just 1 prop depending on what pitch i selected. i currently have it set so i get 5900 wot and it jumps on plane pronto. i have cut an inside curve on the river too close and plowed thru the shallow bar and ran aground twice going out a cut that a nor'easter blew the markers out of the channel and the damage was minimal.can't imagine the damage if a s.s. blade had been on. plus i keep 3 extra replacement blades on board just in case i break one off,i can change it on the fly if needed.
needless to say i've got a good deal on 2ea 21pitch s.s blades if anyone isnt sold on the propulse blade technology!!!!
robert

JGL

Participating Member
City
Limerick
Big Rich....

I live in PA and had my dealer install a Raymarine DS400X that seems to work well. I like the fact that the unit is compact so it fits well on the console and allows me to place my Garmin 72 GPS next to it.

Skinnywaters

Registered Member
Prop for Suzuki

IL-LOGIC-AL GGC said:
i have the 140 johnson on my 210cc and it came with the 21"pitch s.s blade also. like you i couldnt get above 5200 and could never get on plane . i opted for the propulse variable pitch 4 blade prop and it is the ticket for me. i think the 8902 is the one for the 140 and it has 5 diff pitch adjustments. i was able to go from 5200 to 6300 from just 1 prop depending on what pitch i selected. i currently have it set so i get 5900 wot and it jumps on plane pronto. i have cut an inside curve on the river too close and plowed thru the shallow bar and ran aground twice going out a cut that a nor'easter blew the markers out of the channel and the damage was minimal.can't imagine the damage if a s.s. blade had been on. plus i keep 3 extra replacement blades on board just in case i break one off,i can change it on the fly if needed.
needless to say i've got a good deal on 2ea 21pitch s.s blades if anyone isnt sold on the propulse blade technology!!!!
robert

I am in the market for a 21 pitch S/S Prop for my 140 Suzuki. What is the make and diameter of your prop? What are you asking for it?

MolarBoater

Contributing Member
City
Mountian Brook
I run a 14x19 ss 3 blade prop and get @46mph full tank of gas (no top) for fishing and one other adult and 100lbs ice/beverages. I would prop it differently though for pulling more than one adult skier. Now with T-Top, two T-bags, trolling motor and full tank of "stabilized" 8 month old gas, 42.5mph/gps at 6200rpms.

NCangler

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Raleigh
State
NC
Wow! That is great speed. I have a 13x19 ss 3-blade on my Suzuki 140/Triumph 210 setup. The best I've been able to get is around 36mph.

MolarBoater said:
I run a 14x19 ss 3 blade prop and get @46mph full tank of gas for fishing and one other adult and 100lbs ice/beverages. I would prop it differently though for pulling more than one adult skier.

Cincinnati

Contributing Member
MolarBoater said:
I run a 14x19 ss 3 blade prop and get @46mph full tank of gas for fishing and one other adult and 100lbs ice/beverages. I would prop it differently though for pulling more than one adult skier.

That's flat-out flying! Sure that's not a bass boat there MB? ;-)

MolarBoater

Contributing Member
City
Mountian Brook
The Suzuki df 140 as was my choice of Triumph boat are two complete accidents on my part and I feel very lucky. I use to race Suzuki motorcyles but had no idea what a good motor this was, and I bought the Bay 190 over the phone and didn't know it wasn't fiberglass. After reading all the incredible reports (PowerBoats Reports shootout) on the Suzuki df 250, makes me want to get a bigger boat just to run those! When's that 23' Triumph due out?
I do run 93 octane in a 4 stroke which is another debate but may get speed and mileage improvements (but possible overheating) but like I said on the prop, if you plan on pulling a single adult on slolom ski who weighs over 170lbs with a boat full of family, or more, you will want to reprop cause a 14x19 will begin to struggle a good bit. Maybe a 4 blade too.

ILLOGICAL GGC

Contributing Member
City
Washington PARK
State
NC
Skinnywaters
they are both Michigen wheel model SSY621IIC 3 x 13 x 21" . One has never on the boat and one was used for apprx 5 months. i will post prices on the sale section so randy dont get mad with it being listed here :D

JGL

Participating Member
City
Limerick
Molarboater,
Thanks for the input. So are you suggesting I keep the 14X21 for sking and tubing performance and try the 14X19 for fishing and day trips?

NCangler

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Raleigh
State
NC
Randy doesn't get mad, he's just picky about stuff. ;) I'm always telling my kids "there's a place for everything and everything has its place." No wonder I never have time to go fishing! :eek:

IL-LOGIC-AL GGC said:
Skinnywaters
they are both Michigen wheel model SSY621IIC 3 x 13 x 21" . One has never on the boat and one was used for apprx 5 months. i will post prices on the sale section so randy dont get mad with it being listed here :D

mtblife

Registered Member
Does the 14x19 prop come standard on the Suzuki DF140 on the 190CC? Won't know about my boat for about 2 weeks

JGL

Participating Member
City
Limerick
Still need Prop help!

Anyone else running a Suzuki 140HP on a 191FS. What prop are you using to get recommended WOT RPM. Suzuki says I really should be using a 14" dia. prop, its the pitch that is a guessing game so far. When you crunch the numbers, calc. says 14" x 17" should get WOT RPM, just looking for some livetime data.
Thanks

Skinnywaters

Registered Member
Suzuki 140 on a 190 Bay

I have a similiar setup on a 190 Bay, which should be the same hull as yours. I am running a 14x20 aluminum prop on my Suzuki 140. With full fishing gear and half tank of fuel, 2 large fishermen we run 6200 to 6300 rpm and 43 to 45 mph per a Garmin GPS, according to water conditions. Plans are to go to a S/S prop same size. I expect possibly 47 to 48 mph.

Skinnywaters

ILLOGICAL GGC

Contributing Member
City
Washington PARK
State
NC
i thought 6000 was recommended wot for the 140. i run a 210cc and have my 4 blade propulse set so as to get 5900 and i thought that was pushing top end of the rpm range
GGC

Perdido Key

Registered Member
City
Sylacauga
WOT specs

Per the Johnson factory service manual for 90/115/140 four stroke motors (all made by Suzuki ) the wot max is 90HP 4500-5500;115HP 5000-6000;140HP 5600-6200.
The odd thing is Suzuki factory props are even number pitches and Johnson are odd numbers 17-19-21-23.
This way you have more options for the "perfect match"!
The factory manual also has the self diagnostic flashing light codes (11 of them) if anyone needs these. The check engine light on the monitor-tachometer flashes intermittently giving the codes.