Push Pole----possible cheap alternative?

Wolf81101

Registered Member
City
Liverpool
I have no idea if these will work as a push pole since they are designed for kite flying, but they are fiberglass and weigh the same as some of the true push poles. They do collapse to aout 46 inches for storage and come in various lengths up to 30 feet. The 16 foot one is 3 lbs. I saw this link posted on another fishing website and thought I would post it for all to see. If anyone tries these or has one I would appreciate any feedback since I plan to buy a push pole this spring. They range in price from $30 to $60 versus $250 plus for a true push pole.

Wolf,
I don't use push poles but I do use kites. I think the two key factors here are the word "collapse" and the the term "push pole". The kite pole is designed for a kite that weighs less than a pound with absolutely no stresses pushing on it. Least of all, the force of trying to move the boat around. I would guess it would either break or collapse. So wear a swim suit.......you'd probably be going in the drink quite often. :D

Extreme low budget would be a section of SEC 40 PVC pipe and cut it however long you feel is needed.

Now if you do not want 20 feet of Push Pole to deal with all the time hanging off the boat. Then this is the one I have for the times I may need it and comes in different sizes ;)

push poles by Superstick, the only telecopic push pole

I though can fit it in one of my rod holders and it still all remain inside the hull. Also has this cool toy on the foot that flips out that I have used to pull a more than one crank bait out when I hung one over in a Mangrove tree :)Only thing I do not like is how hot it can get when you go to first grab it and only wished they made it in white...

Thanks. I've seen those and have given thought to getting one. Beats always dropping anchor and scaring away the huge schools of bull redfish we find down near panama city. Trying to convince my dad to get one, but hes 67 and refuses to get a GPS or depthfinder. He uses his paddle for the depthfinder....doesn't trust technology : ). Took me 15 years to convince him that he could safely drive his whaler onto the trailer rather than having ME winch it up. I think it was the lack of slave power (I mean children) that changed his mind.

Thanks for the link.

rob

Rob,
When I had my 170CC I went to Lowes or Home Depot and bought a 8'-10' wooden closet rod.Cut it to your desired length. They are about an inch in diameter.Paint it white or what ever color you like. You can find or make a flat surface to attach to one end and get some sort of clamp system to attach it to the gunnell of your boat.It worked fine for me poling around here in NC. Good luck with your search.

Back