k9reno

Recognized Leader and K9 Guru
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Punta Gorda
State
Florida
Hey guys i just got an Okuma T50w reel. I am setting up two heavy duty rod reel combo's. I was wondering if some one could help me out. I got the reel mounted fine no problem doing that, but, the reel has some kind of brace on the front I can not figure out how it is supposed to mount. Any one with experience that could explain it would be very much helpfull.

Attachments

• titus2.jpg
    titus2.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 11
Hey Dick. I've got six Okuma's myself. None came with that brace though. I've always had very good response when emailing their support folks though. You might want to go to their website and give that a try. :)

Okuma Reel

I think that brace goes around the rod to secure the reel

I just cant figure out if it is supposed to go over the top to support against forward pull on the reel or under . And of course how for sure it mounts in either of those positions

Okuma Reel

It's been years since I had a reel that had that brace. If I remember correctly, it goes underneath. I'll see if I can find a link for you.

admin.php

It goes like this one. Acts as a stabilizer to keep the reel from spinning when cranking on a big fish. Hey, K9, just how big are those Stripers out there??? :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
fridaysoff said:
Hey chuck,
Have you got that fighting chair and those reels mounted on your 170CC???
John D.

Rats!!! Foiled again!!! I was hoping to keep that a secret until I get to the Mackfest then spring it on everyone... :eek: I guess it won't be long until everyone finds out that I've mounted twin 350 Chevy big blocks under my center console too!!! :p

Actually this picture was taken aboard a Cape Hatteras charter boat, Tuna Duck, on a Gulf Stream fishing trip about two years ago. Hmmmm...now you've got me thinking....fighting chair, outriggers....sure would scare the pants off all those bass boats on the Potomac River!!!! :eek:

I don't own one, but I believe the brace is to take the load off the reel seat when the reel is clipped into a harness and the pressure from the fish is pulling the rod down away from the reel.

I believe Calico is correct also....the reason I said it was to keep the reel from spinning during a fight with a large fish is that is what happened to me on that charter. I hooked a citation sized (41 lbs) Wahoo and that very reel kept trying to spin on the reel seat when I would try to crank on the fish. The mate tightened the brace and that solved the spinning problem. Looking back, it was more than likely the result of a faulty reel seat and tightening the brace was a quick fix while fighting the fish.

FYI...here's a link to the picture of the Wahoo.

http://www.performanceoutdoors.net/forums/album.php?albumid=527&attachmentid=5140

Back