Question regarding wiring to trolling motor battery box

Kwo851446

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
MD
So with the trolling motor on the bow, I now have 2x 100ah sealed lead acid batteries in the battery box (step before bow). I got the wiring from battery to motor completed, the existing conduit going from the bow to the box was very convenient. I am now trying to install a 2 bank on board charger. It's too large to fit in the box with the batteries. My plan is to mount it in one of the transom corners, but I am unable to use fish tape to get the wires sent from transom to the trolling motor batteries. Couple things I've tried:

1. use fish tape from bow light wiring conduit = gets stuck somewhere near the live well
2. drill hole inside trolling motor battery box = too much foam to get around. ended up sealing the hole

Anyone have any tips?

Offshoreman

Recognized Leader Triumph 235 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
That's tough without actually laying our eyes and hands on it. Can you try running from the battery switch in the center console area forward to the bow? Eliminating coming from the stern?

Kwo851446

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
MD
I've tried the opposite, from bow light to center console. But I think it's just full of foam all around the trolling motor battery box so I can only get the fish tape so far. I've thought about cutting the bow nav light wires and pulling those back through the conduit to the center console, but when I tug on the wires from the bow side, it doesn't give at all so that leads me to believe they are clamped somewhere.

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Best all around combo for the 190

full

full

And I had 12 years of life on those two Batteries, and that charger fit perfect in there!

Kwo851446

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
MD
Nice and tidy! Yea, I should have done a bit more measuring before going with the 100ah sealed lead acid batteries. There's just no room for a charger anymore. For the time being, I think I might still mount the on board charger in the starboard transom storage compartment, but instead of hard wiring to the batteries, I was just going to create 12' leads with alligator clip ends and just clamp them on when I need to use it. There was a guy on this forum who did successfully go from bow to stern with for his on board battery, but his post wasn't too clear on how he did it, other than it took ~4 hours of fishtaping

Kwo851446

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
MD
Going to revive this to see if anyone has successfully routed wires from rear to bow. I keep running into what I think are foam walls.

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
You can't mount it to bulk head in there? Or better yet, just use a small portable unit that has a fan (why it is so light) like this one...

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B081DVZMY2/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_M77T3MDS3ER62TNGR4X7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Love that little charger, weight is nothing, and rebuild mode works well!

Pulling wire from stern to bow, then back from the trolling motor connection box, and then back to the battery storage section... I would not tackle, and the voltage drop from the 20 plus foot of run, might also present some issue and increase charging times. Much less the added weight to the wrong end of any 190, the stern...

I would swap out those huge batteries, trade them in, anything other than trying to install a charger way back in the stern of the 190. Bad enough if you were to install a three bank charger in the console to feed all three of them. Which is why I had 2 PC1200 units and charger in the T Battery box, and then another two of the same PC1200 batteries and same charger inside the console.

Hope this helps,
Dave

Kwo851446

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
MD
You can't mount it to bulk head in there? Or better yet, just use a small portable unit that has a fan (why it is so light) like this one...

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B081DVZMY2/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_M77T3MDS3ER62TNGR4X7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Love that little charger, weight is nothing, and rebuild mode works well!

Pulling wire from stern to bow, then back from the trolling motor connection box, and then back to the battery storage section... I would not tackle, and the voltage drop from the 20 plus foot of run, might also present some issue and increase charging times. Much less the added weight to the wrong end of any 190, the stern...

I would swap out those huge batteries, trade them in, anything other than trying to install a charger way back in the stern of the 190. Bad enough if you were to install a three bank charger in the console to feed all three of them. Which is why I had 2 PC1200 units and charger in the T Battery box, and then another two of the same PC1200 batteries and same charger inside the console.

Hope this helps,
Dave
The smaller charging unit is a great idea. I have a minnkota 220-d which is bulky. Now that I see the other charger, no idea why the 220-d is so big... guess it doesn't have a fan to cool it?

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Sealed marine units do not use a fan that I recall ever seeing as such, they have big (heavy) heat sinks to dissipate heat. Those little automotive units do not have that concern (salt water) per se, so they can be much smaller and lighter in weight.

And I took one in the past and split the wires so it could have more clips to charge two batteries at once. Took longer naturally, but I only had to jump in and hook everything up at once and the same when I took it off ;)