Re-Power

Push&Pull

Recognized Leader Triumph 210 / 215 Forum
City
Florida City
State
Florida
Well, the ole Honda 130 is getting up there in years and hours....... and I keep adding weight to the 210CC. Recyled Plastic is getting slower and slower. (like me) And with all the new engine advancements, I'm getting the itch to re-power. Had my eye on the new Yammie I-4 200hp with fly by wire.....but then figured the new Honda V6's are the same block from 200 to 250hp and only 10 lbs difference between the three. Would be nice to have all that HP if needed in a pinch. (provided I don't rip the transom off)
My gauges are really weathered too and are outdated analogs. (my fuel gauge just popped off the bezel from sun exposure) .....so new digitals would be a welcome upgrade. And ditching the control cables for electronic fly by wire would be heaven. With the new engine designs, I might even stay pretty close to the gph I burn now.
The old Honda has been a trusted, dependable workhorse, but time for her to retire. *** I HAVE THE NEED FOR SPEED***
Knowing how anal I can get, I'm sure any re-power would entail a makeover for the rest of the ole girl at the same time (paint flaking, cracks in deck lids here and there, etc etc. ). And I'm not even gonna get started on the latest electronics....drool, drool.......:p
So, I'm guessing she'll be outa service for awhile. (I'm older too, so moving a little slower these days will surely prolong the re-fit) The one "LOGIC" behind the whole upgrade decision......(see how I used the word logic......lol) .............is "Roplene". Even her name is descriptive. "Recycled Plastic. Spray a little chlorine on her and the hull is like "NEW". Wished that worked for me. It's a no brainer........ Nobody believes she is 17 years old. So, guess I'll keep her around for another 17. :cool:

Well, all that being said.....now I just gotta figure out where all the dough is coming from. I'll keep everyone posted on the ole girls progress. Plus, if anyone has any comments or experiences with their own re-power or about the new engine and electronics choices, by all means, chime in. ;)

Brother Bill!
Have you spent any time looking at the Zuke's? Most of their engines now are newer for many models than both the Honda and Yamaha's (and I have owned and loved both as you know) for the same HP class right now... But the Zuke's being newer in design overall ( at least for this model year) seem to be both lighter in weight and use an actual timing chain (not a a belt) for many models :)

Their website: http://www.suzukimarine.com/ has this cool comparison feature that sheds some interesting light on their latest offerings you might find interesting. You can also get many of them in white now and from some recent research I did for a friend of mine, they are usually around 2 Thousand (roughly) less in cost with a 6 year warranty so something else to also fact in.

As far as new gauges go, I would just get one or two MFI units like this https://store.suzukimarine.com/c/gauges_modular-instrument-systems_smis-gauges and then use a NEMA 2000 network to also shoot engine ECU data over to your larger Chartplotter screen.

As far as Chartplotters go, I was going to go with SIMRAD, but they either have a all touch screen (many of my Skiff buddies with damp hands have reported issues with such) or one with a much higher cost (the NSS series) that has a lot more input buttons which for the screen size, can get expensive quick. So I went with a newer Lowrance TI unit that still has a few main input buttons and at much lower price point than the flown blown NSS SIMRAD unit, but still the same company / OS (Navico) as SIMRAD.

Hope this helps, and feel free to drop me a line and would be happy to call and discuss my recent findings with you as go through the refit process :cool:

Best,
Dave

Thanks for that input Dave. I have briefly checked out the Suzuki's, but not a real detailed comparison. Guess I will have to go back and do some apples to apples. That is a significant amount less cheddar. I had looked at their I-4 and it was pretty much the same engine as the Yammy I-4. However, like I said above, I am now considering maybe as much as the 250. Gotta do alot more evaluations before a decision. :) I agree with you on the touch screen issues. I bang around alot in big seas and messing with a sensitive touch screen is not really practical. Fewer buttons the better. Poor brick and motor stores.......I'm going to hands on- check out all the latest at their stores and displays and then probably purchase online. I'm most concerned about my autopilot. It's got some age and may be close to failure......but not being produced any longer. So not sure what would be a good choice to replace it. Small boat autopilots are just few and far between and alot of entry level ones are now super expensive. :cool:

Last edited:
Most Welcome!

And certain engine builders seem to make what I call Flagship models for that X HP class that the others cannot match feature to feature.
Case in point... The Tohatsu 50 is great small Skiff engine. And I feel the Yamaha F70LA is damn hard to beat on a 17 to 18 foot Skiff like a Beavertail Strike or Hell's Bay Professional. Once you get in the 18 foot plus mark, the Honda BF150 is king with it's smaller displacement and almost twice the oil sump of others. Now you are looking at a 200 HP or larger and you have quite a selection of engines and hard to pick a King in that Market. That HP range (200 to 250) is huge market, and they all battle hard to be the King. The Zuke page though, does give you a breakdown on how their engine stacks up to some of the others: http://www.suzukimarine.com/Product Lines/Outboard Motors/Products/DF200A/2012/DF200A.aspx which you may find interesting.

Oh and speaking of Tohatsu (which might help you save on some cash) once you get 60Hp or higher, they are all Honda's with blue paint ;)

The Yamaha 200 SHO is a beast of a engine, and well worthy for consideration. https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/home/outboards/v-max-sho/v6-4-2l#specs-compare And if you bolt up one of those puppies, I'm ready for a shake down cruise just to help you break her in :cool: Either way, I think you would be happy with 200, and simply grinning like a goat eating nails with a 250 SHO on the bracket :p

What make and model is your present auto pilot?

Hi Bill!
I don't know if I would label this as a fair fight knowing how 2 strokes make power quicker. Nor am I (personally) a fan of the smell or the noise level of 2 strokes anymore, but interesting to watch and something you might want to review while shopping :)

And over-speeding the engine is not a concern "if" the ECU is programmed correctly for it will start shutting down fuel to the injectors before you get near or over the actual programmed engine red line. So that comment of warranty issues from such, sounds a little "old school" thinking to me ;)

Now I would have liked to see the same test ran with a Yamaha SHO engine in place of a regular one knowing the differences between them. Still, the Evinrude does has it's place, but the weight factor between 2 and 4 stroke engines is just not that great anymore and sometimes it is only like 10 to 30 pounds pending on engine HP when compared side by side.

Besides, I (myself) don't need my boat to always launch like the Swamp Rat, and willing to trade off some on plane time, for a longer cruise and less noise :D

927653d436d745e26ddd605ea18f09e8.jpg

Hope this helps? And I thought you may enjoy the reference to the old Navy Recruiting poster picture. My bet, is the Swamp Rat can run with the F8 for the 1st 30 feet or so even without being hooked to the #2 Cat :cool:

Wow, looking into the latest engines is like a kid in a candy shop.....but .........I have come down with a shocking illness as a result......"sticker shock"
:eek:o_O:eek:o_O

I have always run either diesel or Yamaha's. I bought my current boat with a Suzuki DF250. I wasn't thrilled. But I bought it because I wanted the boat. After about a year now, I am thoroughly impressed with the Suzuki. Of course, I wish I had a 300, fly by wire, etc., but I'm darn happy with the 250. Very simple to work on. We leave it running when drift fishing and have to look at the tach to see if its still running or not. I still like Yamaha's, but this outboard helped me better understand that new outboards are like new cars, they're all pretty good these days.

I'll say it again... Dealer support needs to be a line item on your wish list. Whatever outboard you go with, make sure there is dealer support for maintenance, repairs and warranty.

Back