Genelie

Recognized Leader and Retriver Guru
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Lakeside
State
Ca
Well all was good @ 4:00AM Sunday morning, weather report was for flat seas Whhhooo hhoo....BUT they LIED!!!!!!!! it was rough beyond ruff, not so bad the first 20 miles, then everything turn to doo doo. 3-5 foot swells, wind gust at least 15-25 miles Just plain nasty. But we carried on, we had HUGE meter marks, we new the fish were here, but they just did not want to play, we chummed we trolled, we got them to come up to about 30 feet from the surface, but they just did not play with us. Now it is about noon, and we are tried of seeing fish with no action, so we opt to head to new location closer to home. Then all of a sudden my rador / Gps went blank, came back on, then back off. HMMMMmm I assumed a loose connection, because it happened before, but all connections were good. So we knew where we are with charts and experience. We continued, a few miles later............moter dies..and would not start.!!! ( and yes both batteries were fully charged when we left. )We lost power, I switched to the 2nd bank, got her to barely turn over , but no go. okay we are 40 miles out HMMmm. My 2nd in command, wanted to try to pull on the moter manually, I said good luck with that, it is a 4 stroke...so I let him play for awhile. Duh I said as he gives me the look of shame. Okay now it is time to call for help. First I raised a distress flag on top of my radio anntenna, the radio was barely working due to lack of power, I was able to raise the coast guard, bu t we had a hard time communicating due to lack of power. We would have to wait a few minutes between calls. I gave them approx loction based on charts, But they did something COOL, during one of the transmission, ( rememeber these transmissions are garbled due to lack of power) I barely made out "key your mic for 10 seconds"...So I did. Then I heard we got you triangulated..helicopter on its way for verification. ALL RIGHT!! 30 or so minutes later I hear the sound of the Helocopter....then there she was, what a beautifull sight. They stayed around until VESSAL ASSIT showed up 2 hours later. And before you say it..I do have a hand held gps...but I forgot her DUH!!! I will also be getting a hand held radio before next trip out...FOR SURE. Here is a couple of picture of our heros

Attachments

• FishingTrip  Rescue 9-19-2010 015.jpg
    FishingTrip Rescue 9-19-2010 015.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 50
  • FishingTrip  Rescue 9-19-2010 012.jpg
    FishingTrip Rescue 9-19-2010 012.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 47
Sure glad you all were okay. Those folks that support us in the Coast Guard sure deserve our thanks. :cool:

Genelie,
Thats great news that all is well.Make sure you look into a PLB or Epirb while you are looking for a radio.

Genelie,

Glad to hear everything turned out OK. I just added a portable GPS device called SPOT II for just such an occasion. As Fridaysoff says above, maybe a good thing to look into. I like having portable devices that are not reliant on the boat's systems. (I now have on board a portable PLB, 2 Epirbs, handheld VHF, & handheld GPS) Plus you can take them on different boats or other type trips (camping, hiking, hunting etc.)

Again, glad to hear it worked out.:)

Glad you got your MBA (Made it Back Alive). I'll take a photo of my "Bail out Box". Bright yellow pelican box with extra: GPS, VHF, Batteries, Signal mirror, Knife, Water pills, Flashlight/laser, etc.

It is attached to the rear of my seat ready for deployment.

Glad you got your MBA (Made it Back Alive). I'll take a photo of my "Bail out Box". Bright yellow pelican box with extra: GPS, VHF, Batteries, Signal mirror, Knife, Water pills, Flashlight/laser, etc.

It is attached to the rear of my seat ready for deployment.

Cool, I have all that except water pills, and of course the hand help radio....I also have a nice flare gun...as we all know you we can never have enough safety devise's...I talked to the mech they say the out out of the alternator on outboards are not designed for recharging the battery....do any of you believe that?? I did look it up, my moter has a 50 amp / 600 watt that does seem low compared to my titan that has 200 + amps.

Bail out box... (as in I'm bailing, follow me)

Well, in order to charge a battery, you have to take into account all the electronics that are pulling amps when you are running. What is left goes to the battery. That is why I top off the battery at home the night before a long trip.

Here are the photos of the bail out box. I keep flares in a different box.

Bail out box ready to deploy.jpgInside the bail out box.jpg

I like that, all nice and organized. well done...I think I can get those boxes at a dive shop, possible even a camera shop.

I found out what happened I was thinking old batteries......wrong I just did a charge test. At idle it was 12.5 volts. At fast idle it was the same.......You all know what that means. Crud. More money on repairs.Its been a tuff year for repairs and no fish to ease the pain

Hey, we all know that............

Glad everything turned out OK for you, what an experience.

Back