Roplene Hull Barnacle Question

Gentlebear

Registered Member
City
Long Branch

A few years ago I asked a dealer about what would happen if you didn't bottom paint your Triumph and put it into Salt Water (Barnacleville ::D ). He told me about an experiment that was done in a Bay in Delaware that was famous for barnacle buildup. Hulls (Roplene) were left in the water for a significant time period (year?, months?). When the hulls were pulled out of the water the barnacles separated from the hulls in big sheets from their own weight and leaving a clean smooth Roplene hull behind. If I have any details wrong about this story please correct me

I would be very interested to hear any experiences anyone might have had with keeping their boat (Roplene Hull) in salt water with or without Bottom Paint.

How long would you leave an unpainted hull in salt water. Few weeks or maybe a month. Weekend only, NEVER.

Have you ever had an experience of barnacles falling off from their own weight when your boat was pulled out of the water OR evidence that barnacle buildup up was less because of water pressure on the bull (i.e. planning line on hull at cruising speed has less buildup).

There was another post about using pressure washer to clear a hull of barnacles (didn't specify whether it was bottom painted). Would be interested to hear of experiences of cleaning a hull in the water instead of pulling it out to clean. Maybe slipping on a pair of flipper and a Mask/Snorkel and flopping into the water with a stiff brush or wooden wedge to knock barnacle buildup off the hull.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Stoney

Participating Member
City
Marshfield
I'm not sure about this story. It sounds great. The previous owner of my 170cc left it in saltwater unpainted. When I bought it there were barnacles all over the hull and transom. Took a pressure washer and some scrubbing with a good brush, but they did come off and the hull looks great. I trailer my boat now, but if I were to leave it in the water I would paint the bottom even though I hear it is a lot of work. Let us know what you end up doing.
-Stoney-

NCangler

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Raleigh
State
NC
I left my 210 in the water down in Oriental, NC for two weeks once and I'll never do that again. The water in the river there is brackish, with fresh water from the Neuse River and saltwater from the Pamlico Sound. The stuff that attached to the hull was difficult to get off even with a pressure washer. I was told by my dealer to let it dry then power wash it off. I did that but still had to take a scrub brush to it. I don't know if barnacles would come off easier or not but I always put mine back on the trailer now if I'm not going to be using it on the water for more than 2-3 days.

TI Frank

Registered Member
City
Philadelphia
Just pulled my 17CC from a saltwater creek in Delaware Bay. What a mess....left it in for 6 weeks. Barnicles all over and extremely difficult to remove. Looking for suggestions?
Help? The base of the barnicle is the toughest. The boat is stained also. Spray with vineger. Has this happened before to anyone? The stains seem like they're inthe ropolene. Metal scrapers ok to use?

Thanks,
Frank

TI Frank

Registered Member
City
Philadelphia
forgot to mention, I take full responsibility for this. I know that anything over one week could be a problem. Didn't realize it would be such a mess...guess who will be painting the boat for next season....dopey frank....lol

NJWardy

Participating Member
City
Audubon
Frank,

I saw a dealer use a high power pressure washer on a boat loaded with barnicles. Came off looking like new. The boat was not bottom painted either. If you can trailer it to one of those self wash car washes...they are usually powerful.

TI Frank

Registered Member
City
Philadelphia
thanks NJWardy. I used a wimpy electric power washer and my brother has a super heavy duty one so I'll try that next. Where do you fish out of in NJ?

Are you close to Sea Isle or Townsends Inlet?
Frank

NJWardy

Participating Member
City
Audubon
Ocean City. Just waiting on the stripers now...

NCangler

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Raleigh
State
NC
Cleaning Barnacle from a Triumph Roplene hull

Okay folks here is the word on Barnacle removal on a Roplene Hull:
The trick to getting barnacles off of Roplene is to let them die first. If allowed to die and dry, the entire barnacle will come off. Time will vary with the weather but two weeks is usually enough time. If you
attack them as soon as the boat is pulled from the water you will only
get the body of the barnacle off and the base will stay. Regarding the
staining... I would try straight bleach first. If that did not work I
would try an acid based cleaner like On/Off.

In the situation of the boat described in the thread I would not do
either. I would use the stain line as water line reference and sand and
prime the bottom and put on bottom paint. It's likely that the boats
going to end up with barnacles again.

TI Frank

Registered Member
City
Philadelphia
thanks for the info. That's exactly what happened. The base is left on the sides where I tried scraping. I know vineger disolves calcium deposits and I was wondering if anyone had luck with a light solution to remove the base of the barnicle. I sure learned my lession.....have you painted your boat? Do you prime it first?
Thanks,
Frank

NCangler

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Raleigh
State
NC
I haven't painted mine. I just don't leave it in the water unused for more than a couple days anymore. But if you do decide to bottom paint here is a short article on how to do so:

http://www.performanceoutdoors.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1014

It might be worth getting a quote from your Triumph dealer to see what they would charge to do it. I think there are some photos in the gallery by another member who had his painted. You might try searching in the gallery for 'bottom paint'.

rspring

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
Florida
bringing back a thread from the dead... I have a severe case of barnacles, thought the water was pretty fresh since it has alligators and multiple fresh water inputs.... anyway Barnacle Buster isn't touching these things. Even after two weeks of drying a pressure washer won't touch them and scraping them leaves their "feet" attached. Any other suggestions?

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Scrape away, and take it further into fresh water every now and then to totally kill them or they will drop off... Most bottom growth thrives in brackish water and in the case of Oysters, they cannot live / breed in pure saltwater.

And be careful with them Gators there! Saltwater in any amount is not a place they really enjoy, and I always said the Salt "irritates their butts" (like one can make them any worse LOL) unlike Crocs, that thrive in it ;)

The change from pure Salt to pure Fresh though, makes a good way to help keep the bottom clean for one set of bottom growth / slime will die in one system, and live in another...

Bottom paint if you are going to keep her in the water is going to be your best bet in the long run... This, or put her on a Lift / Trailer every week or so (whichever is most cost effective) to wipe it all out :)

At least you are not like Admiral Columbus, and have the entire ship eaten out from under them, and leave stranded on some Island for months on end during what I believe was his third voyage to the New World :oops: Those Marine Worms are some bad dudes for sure!

rspring

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
Florida
Thank you Dave! It will be on a lift soon, but I've got to get them off before that. Making me nuts! Was going to try Roll-On Roll-Off next.

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Most Welcome!
And as in some cases, might be easier to scrape them off under water "Before" they have had a chance to die, dry, and really get dug in like a Tick on a Coonhound :oops:

Pressure washer might help some, but in many cases the hull needs to get blasted with some type of media like walnut shells or soda blasting. I would pull a search on these keywords "dustless blasting companies near me" which are mobile units and see what it might run per foot?

Hope this helps!
Dave

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Low Budget Option "B" that I just found... ;)

rspring

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
Florida
Thank you again Dave. I'm going to hit them with undiluted Barnacle Buster, then try a cheap harbor freight oscillating scraper tool. If that does not work I'll try the sandblast method. I wonder if ceramic sticks to our boats like it does to fiberglass? The barnacles have a hard time adhering to ceramic coat.

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Most Welcome!

Sounds like a plan...

And I could not attest how ceramic products would or would not stick to those hulls? I do know that they (Triumph Hulls) are flexible, and ceramic's generally are not. So, logically, I would think not for long, for it would crack and fall away like broken glass... I would be interested in seeing how something like Turtle Wax "Seal and Shine" would work if nothing else, in the short term and until the friction of the water takes it off. More on it here:

https://www.performanceoutdoors.net/threads/turtle-wax-ice-seal-and-shine.9790/

Now, if you are looking for something to apply to the hull to fend off / make it taste bad / too slick for barnacle's to stick... Maybe use something along the lines of "Propspeed" that is used for running gear? Again, getting it to stick on a non metal surface might be a chore.

They cannot stick and stay attached to something that is moving very well so I say, just take her out more often ;)

rspring

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
Florida
I will definitely be on the water a lot more once my lift is rebuilt. 4 weeks in brackish water and I would say it is literally thousands of $ worth or work, but I can't find anyone in SW FL that will touch it.

For all: Save your money instead of using Barnacle Buster. It does nothing at all. Star Brite Bottom Cleaner is better, but so far no magic bullet.