Rule 1100GPH Automatic Bilge

alm1810

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
MA
Hey everyone!

Does anyone know why my bilge pump is doing this?

(Video Here).

I would love to attach this directly to the battery as the boat is docked in the summer, however I don't want this killing the battery. Any info as to what is causing this would be greatly appreciated. I wanted to add a float switch however I have the 90 gallon tank so there is not room for one in the bilge.

Thanks!

Al

Offshoreman

Recognized Leader Triumph 235 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
Newer bilge pumps are cycling on and off. They do that so when the pump cycles on, if it senses any resistance (water pressure), it stays on until it senses no more resistance.

I'm helping a couple of friends rebuild their boats. We installed new bilge pumps and they do this. It was unsettling at first, but I understand now why it does it.

Last edited:

alm1810

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
MA
Newer bilge pumps are cycling on and off. They do that so when the pump cycles on, if it senses any resistance (water pressure), it stays on until it senses no more resistance.

I'm helping a couple of friends rebuild their boats. We installed a new bilge pumps and they do this. It was unsettling at first, but I understand now why it does it.
Is it supposed to stop after a while? Once I turn the battery on it continues to do so non stop unless there is water in the bilge or I hold the test button for 5 seconds.

Offshoreman

Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
They do that for the entire time they have power.

alm1810

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
MA
They do that for the entire time they have power.
Hmmm ok I don't recall this happening before but I could be wrong. I thought it only turned on when the internal float switch was activated. Was hoping to allow this to stay on while the boat is docked in case of rain. I may need to look into a small float switch to resolve this. Thanks!

Offshoreman

Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
You are correct. The previous versions of all bilge pumps would only come on when the float switch came up. Now, there is a feature that cycles the pump on and off seeking for water pressure. I don't know who invented that, but that seems to be the thing in some pumps.

Codfish

Contributing Member
Premium Member
City
Payette
Call me old fashioned but I would search for a pump without the auto check feature and install a reliable water witch type switch with it so it works when needed but does not drain the batteries all the time.

Do a search for my post on this matter in 2006 when I had a failure of the Rule float switch. Search "Water Witch".

Last edited:

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Option B
Install a 3 way switch with the center position being the "off" position so it does not constantly draw on the battery when setting on the trailer. I would also tie in a small red LED light on the dash (if the switch does not have one) to show you when it is running constantly also ;)

Flats fishing also dictates being ultra quiet... Those pumps cycling on all the time will flush out fish like quail which is another reason for killing the pump when engaged in such :cool:

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida