Screws on swim ladder cover are loose. Solution?

mallahan

Registered Member
City
Everett
State
WA
One of the sets of 2 screws on the swim ladder cover are loose. Suggestions for tightening down and securing?
1594154898959.png

Offshoreman

Recognized Leader Triumph 235 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
The back side of the screws are, or should be threaded inserts. Open it up, then as you try to remove the screw look at the backside. If they're spinning you'll have to secure them somehow to get the screw out. A little bit of waterproof grease or anti-seize on the threads when you put it back together should keep that from happening again.

Carefully using a small amount of adhesive on the threaded inserts prior to putting the screw back in should prevent that from happening again in the future also.

mallahan

Registered Member
City
Everett
State
WA
The screws that are loose are on the boat body itself. The three on the swim ladder have the inserts and are secure.
Any value in heating up the screws and reinserting?

Offshoreman

Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
Gotcha. Removing the screws and filling the holes with powdered roplene is the best. Merritt Marine has the materials.

I believe the process is heating up the screw, dipping it into the powder and reinserting it into the hole pretty much returns the hole to how it was originally made.

There are some topics on how to secure screws into that material here on this website. Using the search tool at the top will help.

I have used Sudbury elastomeric to fill a hole and re-secure the screw. But that was with a screw that was only a little loose. My experience was, that worked very well.

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
You could also upgrade it to a piano hinge that is hidden inside the gap that helps spread out the forces trying to pull them out. Also if placed correctly, you can get the hinges out of site for a cleaner look.

Here is a image search link so you can see them and how long of one you may need: Boat Piano Hinges

Hope this helps?

Offshoreman

Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
Yes, that is also a good option. When you purchase anything stainless, especially hinges and screws, make sure you get 316 stainless or higher. 304 stainless will rust after a while.

mallahan

Registered Member
City
Everett
State
WA
I contacted Merritt Marine and they are sending me the materials. They are a great outfit and responds right away. I’ll try the powder technique and see how it goes. 13 years and just now the screws are loose. Hope for another 13.

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Here is the process in case you did not find it here on the Site

Let us know how you make out :)