Season's Over

BeeReel

Contributing Member
City
Brockton
Think I'm done for the year but not because I wanted too. Last week cruising out to the tuna grounds after a 35 min run (5000RPM, 32MPH) in perfectly calm waters the engine lets go! After a clank (or is it a clunk) and few rattles of metal everything shuts down. Even the digital gauges stayed frozen in their running positions rather than return to zero. I'm not a mechanic but I know seeing oil/gas in the water is not good. Hoping my 2yr old Suzuki, 400hrs with a 6 year warranty gets me a new engine at no costs.

Waited for 2.5 hrs for a BoatUS tow, we made the best of the situation live-lining macs for tuna as they were jumping all around us. We were in 200ft of water and drifted about 3 miles dragging the anchor, all 300ft of rope was out. Luckily the day for Nov was great (sunny and high 60's) with seas calm and SW wind gradually increasing as the day wore on. Once hooked to the tow boat, a 3.5hr tow to land and another 3 hours of running for the truck/trailer (launch site not the same a tow site) finally got home safe.

Wow thats awful,that motor is known to be very reliable but it happens but it still sucks.I am sure they will fix it but wont get the fishing days back.Good luck at least your safe and hopefully up and running soon.Tight lines and fish safe.....TC 08 te

I'm glad it was a calm day. That would have been a long drift in rough water! Keep us updated on what you find wrong with the Suzuki. Strange to have one go like that.

BeeReel,
Glad you made it back safe.Like Randy said let us know how your repair goes.I've heard that Suzuki has a long delay for parts. I hope your repair goes smoothly for you and you dispel that myth.
John D.

Sorry to here of your problems, but glad that all is well. Glad that you were not out in the mess (Ida) that came up from the gulf last week. Good luck on the repairs.

No fish either?

Okay, I'll say it "That sucks". :eek: Now, let see how warranty covers it.

Glad you made it home okay.

Tow Boat didn't tow you to launching point?

Keep us informed.

Well the boat service finally got around to looking at the engine today, in the technical jargon provide me: "there is a big hole in the engine". Looks like a goner. Initially looks like warranty coverage, only 398hrs total time and I've done every service required (20, 100, 200, and 300 hrs). Marina has provided all the service records to Suzuki. Suzuki wants them to remove the powerhead and take more pictures. Lets hope for swift resolution and a new 150HP engine not a re-build.

Quote: Tow Boat didn't tow you to launching point?
I had option of going to launch site or TowBoat home base which was about equal in tow mileage. Winds/waves increasing suggest going to TowBoat port was the preferred direction so I OK'd. The TowBaot crew would have had a really long day if they towed me from P'town to Plymouth and return to Sesuit.

Current status is that all the information from the engine brain (memory mod) has been supplied to Suzuki and apparently there is agreement that whatever work will be covered under warranty. The local Suzuki rep is to look at the engine and determine the extent of repair/replacement. I said I'd call back in Jan.

Would I buy another Suzuki? Maybe don't know what the others have to offer, my main consideration would be a Yamaha. The Suzuki standard service every 100hrs is expensive: odd 100's runs about $250-300 and even 100's run's about $900.

I agree it does not help when they drag their feet like that and they should just drop in a new or factory rebuilt power-head, and do their metallurgy / failure cause work on their own time later on.

Warranty limitations also very from State to State that the OEM's are also subject to, so I would read up on such so you are empowered with that information also. I am of the opinion (pending dealer communications back to the factory of course) that you would get a faster response back with either Honda or Yamaha if faced with the same failure.

In your shoes, I also would not let a lot of time pass without making a call to Suzuki Customer Service and try the "nice route" first before becoming the squeaking wheel. No need to keep making payments on something that is setting in a Dealers Lot ;)

Another way...

I've found an email to the offending company with a note and :cc to all fellow boaters concerning poor service tends to get the attention of company executives.

It worked for me.

Hope Suzuki does the right thing.

Slow down guys. I have no problems (yet) with the level of service and support being offered. It is winter and I am in no hurry to get resolution and as such I'm not pressing the issue.

Update 1/5: All the work is being done under warranty. They are ordering the parts for a (almost) total rebuild including a new powerhead. I’ll have to start the break in process all over again. They said there was NO WAY that Suzuki would offer up a new engine, although I said it must be more costly to do the rebuild (whole<sum of the parts)? The current engine is in pieces on the workbench. The hull is sitting in the yard. I said I’d drive down and get the batteries out of the boat for winter and they offered to put in gas stabilizer.

Might take several weeks just to get the parts in the shop. Hope it is working again by Spring for trials and a quick 20hr usage for first service point.

Keep fingers crossed

I hope they have a good mechanic. :)

BR, have they told you exactly what failed, or indicated what they think caused the failure? Just wondering since I've the same engine, '07 model bought in '09.

BR, have they told you exactly what failed, or indicated what they think caused the failure? Just wondering since I've the same engine, '07 model bought in '09.

I haven't gotten nor have I asked the details. I'll try to find out for you, but maybe just a fluke thing? Hope I never hear that clunk sound again!

[/QUOTE].................Hope I never hear that clunk sound again![/QUOTE]

I'm sure......and I hope I never hear it at all. I don't even have a hundred hours yet, but I've always done my own maintenance on anything mechanical, including a lot of major stuff, and always do more than required, and plan to do so with my Suzuki. Of course, I always keep good records in case of a problem. Hopefully won't have any. But I sure do wish you well with the rebuild, and like BarryB said, hope they have a good mechanic.

Harper and others interested,

(I am not an engine guy so I'll do my best)

WOW, I saw the engine today since it has been torn down for evaluation and re-build. They have never seen so many blown holes in a block or one so badly damaged, a real Picasso! The took amny pictures to document the damage to provide Suzuki.

It appears the connecting rod let go (was this root cause or secondary?) and all **** broke lose after that: both side walls of the cylinder are blow out, pieces shot out of the top through the head and into the fuel injection system, they still have broken pieces down in the bottom of the cylinder and more I can't remember....

Let's hope for a nice newly rebuilt engine by early April (or sooner) for sea trials.

Phil

IMHO, BR, your engine throws a rod, you get a new one. NO rebuild will fix the kind of damage a thrown rod will do @5000RPM (as you've witnessed).

Back