Seating Upgrades - New Upholstery and Leaning Post

Zardoz

Registered Member
State
Maryland
I really hated the seat on my 170 CC because it was just too low! I did like the flip flop part but decided to go with a new leaning post. I went to buy a Birdsall like I have on my Bluewater but it was going to be over $2000! I also needed to get the console seat redone as the boat spent it's previous life in New Hampshire and was never, ever covered at all! So all of the cushions on the boat were completely shot! I went to Catherine's Curtains in Deal, MD for the console seat. She made me a beautiful new set of cushions with new foam and pleats. I could have gone for the Triumph logo but funds are not limitless! I did have her make the bottom cushion four inches thick instead of the two inches on there. The back of the console seat was held in place on my boat with a bungee cord around the console because the magnetic latches had long ago succumbed to salt water - I replaced them with interlocking discs that connect when you slam it shut. I am beyond happy with the quality of work that she did at a great price!!

NewConsoleSeat.jpg

For the leaning post, I wanted something custom so that I could have them make a flanged mount with a straight strip of stainless, this way I could glue and screw it and make a good connection to the deck. I ended up going with Cutting Edge Boat Tops in Cape Coral, FL because he had a number of innovative designs and would customize width and height for no extra charge. His prices and delivery were also very reasonable. He said he could make the post with the stainless feet between the legs like I wanted so I placed my order. About 6 weeks later, I picked the post up (he ships with Greyhound if you can believe that?) and when I opened it up, it had the conventional mounting flange on each foot!! I was pissed and he would have redone it, but I did a little research. I'm using only screws that are actually made for plastic on the boat. I buy them from Screwerx online. I picked up stainless 14mm screws that were rated for greater than 50 pounds of force to pull them out, so I figured four on each foot is 200 pounds per foot! That's not even considering the glue. So I bought screws that are exactly as long as the deck plate is thick, predrilled the holes once the location was set and then used the Triumph recommended sealant to pot the holes and I also put some on the bottom of the feet. This made for a really strong installation! That leaning post is not coming off unless it's The Rapture! Considering the old seat was held on with four #10 wood screws, I think I'm way ahead of the game now.

LeaningPost_1.jpg

LeaningPost_2.jpg

LeaningPost_4.jpg

I've been out on the boat several times since. I really love the new post! It's great to be able to casually park my butt or just lean against it when fishing. The backrest is removable which is great because I fly fish a lot on this boat and the under seat storage has given me a lot more room for my essential crap. Plus I'm used to having a post like this. The first mate loves the new console seat and if she had seen the old one she may have given up her spot on the crew! The leaning post is pretty decent in terms of construction. I wish I had told him to put a grab bar on the back and there are a few rough edges that I will have to remedy - all in out of the way spots like the ends of the flip up foot rest and the edges of the rod holders. Minor details I can easily remedy.

Until I move back home to MA (its a long story!) and see my seamstress, I bought some mail order covers to keep the seats looking spiffy. Unfortunately I'm getting a little residue from the covers marking the seats but its an easy clean and leaving the seats uncovered is a big no no!!

Covers.jpg

That's it for now. I just ordered the parts for my next project so hopefully I'll have a post on that in a few weeks. I'm going to put a quick release mount on my trolling motor so that I can use a regular, non-custom, trailerable cover for the whole boat. To do this I will have to also move the bowlight so I have a Perko Stealth LED unit coming for that job. I will also be adding a heading sensor to my GPS. I'm lucky that I can put the boat in the warehouse at work to do this kind of stuff. I was too excited with the seats to wait until the weekend was over.

If you're wondering why the boat is so messy, I have a stand of bamboo nextto the boat and the damn stuff never stops making a mess! I took two thirds of it out last weekend. The rest dies soon! Then its years of trying to keep it from coming back!!

Cheers!
Chris

NCangler

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Raleigh
State
NC
Wow, nice work Chris! Thanks for sharing the modification and great photos. love the leaning post with storage under the seat. Look forward to the LED project photos! :cool:

Rob Ast

Registered Member
State
Washington
Thanks for sharing - looks like a fine piece of engineering. What cover is that? I have a winter storage cover, but could use a small cover like that to throw over the seats and console. I too would like to see pics of the trolling motor and light swap when you are finished.

Zardoz

Registered Member
State
Maryland
Thanks for sharing - looks like a fine piece of engineering. What cover is that? I have a winter storage cover, but could use a small cover like that to throw over the seats and console. I too would like to see pics of the trolling motor and light swap when you are finished.

You're welcome!

The console cover is the large one from TaylorMade Products. It's a little too wide & too short for a good fit but its been hanging on pretty good even with all the rough weather we have had. The one on the leaning post is actually TaylorMade Products Pontoon Boat Flip Flop Seat cover. I got the console at Hodges Marine for $43 and found the seat cover online on clearance for less than $10! I have a seamstress I use in Newburyport, MA. When I move back home and drag the boat up there I'll have her make me a custom cover for the console. The seat cover fits well.

jimp

Registered Member
Premium Member
City
New Bern
I really hated the seat on my 170 CC because it was just too low! I did like the flip flop part but decided to go with a new leaning post. I went to buy a Birdsall like I have on my Bluewater but it was going to be over $2000! I also needed to get the console seat redone as the boat spent it's previous life in New Hampshire and was never, ever covered at all! So all of the cushions on the boat were completely shot! I went to Catherine's Curtains in Deal, MD for the console seat. She made me a beautiful new set of cushions with new foam and pleats. I could have gone for the Triumph logo but funds are not limitless! I did have her make the bottom cushion four inches thick instead of the two inches on there. The back of the console seat was held in place on my boat with a bungee cord around the console because the magnetic latches had long ago succumbed to salt water - I replaced them with interlocking discs that connect when you slam it shut. I am beyond happy with the quality of work that she did at a great price!!

View attachment 19514

For the leaning post, I wanted something custom so that I could have them make a flanged mount with a straight strip of stainless, this way I could glue and screw it and make a good connection to the deck. I ended up going with Cutting Edge Boat Tops in Cape Coral, FL because he had a number of innovative designs and would customize width and height for no extra charge. His prices and delivery were also very reasonable. He said he could make the post with the stainless feet between the legs like I wanted so I placed my order. About 6 weeks later, I picked the post up (he ships with Greyhound if you can believe that?) and when I opened it up, it had the conventional mounting flange on each foot!! I was pissed and he would have redone it, but I did a little research. I'm using only screws that are actually made for plastic on the boat. I buy them from Screwerx online. I picked up stainless 14mm screws that were rated for greater than 50 pounds of force to pull them out, so I figured four on each foot is 200 pounds per foot! That's not even considering the glue. So I bought screws that are exactly as long as the deck plate is thick, predrilled the holes once the location was set and then used the Triumph recommended sealant to pot the holes and I also put some on the bottom of the feet. This made for a really strong installation! That leaning post is not coming off unless it's The Rapture! Considering the old seat was held on with four #10 wood screws, I think I'm way ahead of the game now.

View attachment 19515

View attachment 19516

View attachment 19517

I've been out on the boat several times since. I really love the new post! It's great to be able to casually park my butt or just lean against it when fishing. The backrest is removable which is great because I fly fish a lot on this boat and the under seat storage has given me a lot more room for my essential crap. Plus I'm used to having a post like this. The first mate loves the new console seat and if she had seen the old one she may have given up her spot on the crew! The leaning post is pretty decent in terms of construction. I wish I had told him to put a grab bar on the back and there are a few rough edges that I will have to remedy - all in out of the way spots like the ends of the flip up foot rest and the edges of the rod holders. Minor details I can easily remedy.

Until I move back home to MA (its a long story!) and see my seamstress, I bought some mail order covers to keep the seats looking spiffy. Unfortunately I'm getting a little residue from the covers marking the seats but its an easy clean and leaving the seats uncovered is a big no no!!

View attachment 19518

That's it for now. I just ordered the parts for my next project so hopefully I'll have a post on that in a few weeks. I'm going to put a quick release mount on my trolling motor so that I can use a regular, non-custom, trailerable cover for the whole boat. To do this I will have to also move the bowlight so I have a Perko Stealth LED unit coming for that job. I will also be adding a heading sensor to my GPS. I'm lucky that I can put the boat in the warehouse at work to do this kind of stuff. I was too excited with the seats to wait until the weekend was over.

If you're wondering why the boat is so messy, I have a stand of bamboo nextto the boat and the damn stuff never stops making a mess! I took two thirds of it out last weekend. The rest dies soon! Then its years of trying to keep it from coming back!!

Cheers!
Chris
How did you remove the forward seat back from the console ?

Offshoreman

Recognized Leader Triumph 235 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
Nice work. Love the attention to detail on the cables passing through the dash, the clean antenna and the work on the seat mounting hardware. Good job.

Zardoz

Registered Member
State
Maryland
How did you remove the forward seat back from the console ?

On the forward, console seat above the livewell, the bottom cushion is the lid for the livewell and the back is the door for the small storage hatch. I removed the screws from the boat side of the hinges and brought the whole cushion, hinges and back to the upholsterer. She measured the position of the hinges before removing so that she could get them on with the right approximate angle to them. I had her replace the cushion padding and use new as the old ones were just shot after 6 years in the elements. I also had her make the bottom cushion two inches thicker as I wanted more height on that seat. When I got everything back I just loosened the screws a little on the hinges, got everything lined up right and slowly tightened them when they were in the proper position. The back on that seat originally was supposed to close with cabinet style magnets. I don't know if it that was original or added by the previous owner? Needless to say after years in saltwater they had rusted to heck and didn't work. When I bought the boat, that hatch was closed with a bungee cord that wrapped around the console! For the renovation I bought Snap Together fasteners which are like ridgid velcro - one side has mushroom head protrusions that interlock with the disc they slam into. So far they have worked pretty well. You have to slam the door but its not too bad and for a couple of bucks it did the trick. I am planning on putting regular hatch latches on the rear seats. I also used plastic thread forming screws from Screwerx for all of my hardware. Let me know if I didn't answer your question.