Sirius Radio Antenna

FinAddict

Registered Member
City
Henderson
Anyone out there having trouble with their factory mounted Sirius radio antenna? I have a 210CC with a T-top and the factory Sirius radio option. The antenna is mounted on the console under the T-top. The signal keeps cutting in and out. The Sirius folks think that the T-top is blocking the signal. The dealer says that the antenna location is done at the factory and this is the first that they've heard of any issues.

Past experience....All antenna's should always be on the highest point of the boat. The higher the ant the more your signal gets out. I am not sure nor have I seen a sirus Ant. Also check connections, a bad soder can creat that as well.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Connections are all good, no problem there. Yeah, it's seems like a no brainer to me to put antennas high (that's why I had the dealer put the vhf and gps antennas mounted on the T-top). Apparently the factory hasn't figured this out, though. I really think the console is a poor choice of mounting location for an antenna, but, before I go raise heck at the dealer I was just wondering if others have experienced this specific problem or if mine is an anomaly.

Wow, I have that same problem and it aggrevates me to no-end. Sometimes, even if someone is standing near the antenna it will cut out.
It is kinda hard to imagine the T-top cutting the signal, but its gotta be.

What happens to people that have Sirius in thier automobiles?

It's just really bad when your in the middle of a lake in the wide open and your signal keeps cutting out.

Anyone ele's with Sirius on board without a T-top have a problem?

I have a friend with XM in his car. He has noticed signal loss but it is only when driving and usually in specific locations. In other words, he loses signal at the same locations while traveling. Speaking with him, he mentioned that he had heard that Sirius does not have the same problems that XM does with signal loss. In any event, mine happens while drifting. Maybe the rocking of the boat allows the T-top to block the signal occasionally. Your signal loss while someone is standing nearby just reinforces my belief that the mounting location under the T-top is the issue. I agree that it's real anoying. Mine came with one year of free service that I basically have not used becuase it's more aggravating to turn the darn thing on.

For now, It is a love-hate relationship. Somedays it works fine and others days I just turn it off too.

I was thinking on some situations it might have something to do with the satellite location.

On occasion I lose my GPS signal for a brief moment and its is inside my console along with the antenna(It's portable) and GPS tracks many satellites opposed to Sirius, but then again you say your signal is cutting out while your drifting.

Maybe some boat owners with Sirius radio without a T-top can tell us If they experience the same problem, and if they don't I might move my antenna (I never liked the antenna location from the get go) Because when it's working good I really love it and so do my passengers.

why is it so hard to believe that the T-top interfers with reception on your satalite radio. That is a lot of metal around the antenna to deflect a the signal away from the antenna. I have XM and only loose signal when I go under wide over passes or downtown with tall buildings to block the antennas view of the satalite. They are after all primarily line of sight receivers.

Dick is correct,
They are totally VSAT or "Line of Site" communications unlike your VHF radio and even clouds (rain fade) can effect such. I would just move the antenna to the top of the T-Top for best performance.

Dave

I understand loosing signals under bridges in a dence forest, canyons, parking garages ect. Like I said.. on occasion I lose my GPS signal (for a brief moment) thats in my console or other "line of site" recievers I might have on board. But NOTHING compared to the lost signal I get from my satellite radio. It just has to be a weaker line of site signal.

Even back when I first got my boat, I thought that is a wierd place to install a satelitte antenna. I just thought they knew what they were doing

RIIIIIIIIIGHT

I guess It's just another brainstorm (kinda like fishbox drains) from the factory or whoever to install it where it can get the most interference.

I'm going to move the antenna to the top.

I read also that you were having problems with your GPS loosing signal...check out my post from last year.

GPS no signal; here's the fix
I recently was having problems with my GPS. On the other fishing sites I got all kinds of advise. Most of them repeated check connections, and your antenna wire. Well all was good. I finall got ahold of the manufacture...( by the way mine is a standard Horizon 150.) They said try 2 things prior to sending in for repairs. # 1 you could try to reboot your system...see owner manuel. Well That did the trick!!. But I decided to do # 2 as well. Which is ordering a UPGRADE chip from C-MAP. They have new software. I guess other GPS's are having the same problems. This new upgrade fixes that. It Cost $ 49.99 plus shipping. And the $ 49.99 is refundable if you return the chip within 15 days. All in all now it only takes less than a minute to aquire a signal.

Thanks for all of the great help and advice. You guys are the best and I'm sure glad that I found you. I have an appointment to take the boat in and have a list of warranty issues taken care of later this month. Once I get the antenna moved and back out on the water, I'll let you all know if I'm still experiencing problems or not.

Thanks again for everything.

Satellite Antenna Problems

I have XM for both car and home and love it. Have very few problems, even when it seems line of sight is interrupted (stationary satellite, southern horizon, just like Direct TV).

I am going to take my little portable XM receiver out to my boat, and plug it in, and bought a Terk marine antenna with the usual 1" antenna mount. I plan on mounting it on the T-top frame of my new 195cc.

Anyone else installed XM on their boat?

The top of my T-top is beginning to look like a electronics shop, with GPS, VHF, and FM antennae and now satellite. Thank God, no radar. I just hope my Humminbird Matrix doesn't interfere with the whole mess.

As to those who have no time to listen to music, I think fish just love Mozart.:)

Is it any classical or just Mozart? In my experience heavy metal, and Jimmy Buffet turn them off.;)

scjerry
i have an xm Roady2 and i move it between the car, house and boat and get great results all around. and, and, and xm has sirius beat for music selections.
channel 12 x country---putting the "O" back in country, no more trashville for me!!!
i keep the small magnetic antenna under the t-top fabric and i bought the ac kit to use in the house. no need to buy a marine radio with xm ready set up cause you will have to buy an extra subscription for the boat.
GGC

XM and music fish like

IL-LOGIC-AL GGC

Thanks. I have a FM/AM radio and a portable XM plugin that broadcasts to a selected FM frequency. I plan on carrying my home unit out to the boat. I'm surprised that the magnetic unit works w/o a large metal surface. That's interesting data in case my TERK doesn't cut it.

As to classical music that fish like, I suppose Mozart isn't the only one. The theme music for A Fish Called Wanda is the Barber of Seville by Rossini. Let me know when you find her.:)

I take a different approach on the classical side. I blast some classic Dead Kennedys or Sex Pistols. As the fish jump into the boat to turn the music off, I club 'em and throw them in the bait tank. Not very elegant, but, effective.

Relocated antenna and it works great

Sorry it's taken so long to get back on the resolution of this issue. Just got my boat back from the dealer last Friday and put it in the water on Sunday. The dealer relocated the antenna to the top of my t-top as I requested. It works great now. Had the radio on while running and while anchored fishing for a solid 5 hours and it didn't cut out once.

It's funny, while I was collecting up some paperwork that got wet (guy at the dealer must have left the hatch open during some rain) and putting it back in the console Sunday evening, I found some of the Sirius radio mounting instructions. They clearly state the antenna should be located with a clear view of the sky.

Guess this settles it. Hope this information is helpful to others experiencing similar problems.

Back