Putershark

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
T-Tops and Bimini tops are great, but man can they get in the way of the Prime Directive "Fishing" (really it's casting) :(

Even I have worked with Bimini tops that were made to slide and stow "inside" the hull on the deck, and not on the gunnels. OK that helps, but it still made it a pain to step over much less, pull out another rod. As such the only time it was on the boat, was when others were aboard for joy rides and eventually, I just sold it :)

So I saw a slick idea and that just about anybody can employ and have some shade for lunch, a quick drink break, or to help get out of the rain. Better yet! It folds back up and stows in a pretty small space and if placed correctly, can be just about totally out of the way when secured and that is the Mantis. More factory information can be found on it here: https://www.pro-techt.com/mantis-overview

What really caught my eye, was how a BT Skiff owner installed his "behind" the back rest attached to the Polling Platform, and though you cannot run the boat faster than a few knots with it deployed.. It was really a slick way to have some quick shade, but not take up space when not needed / wanted... As such you still have true 360 degree Cast-ability (is that a real word?) ;)

So here is how he had his installed which I think was brilliant piece of Engineering and thinking "Outside" of the box :cool:

Here is a shot of how it is mounted behind the back rest and deployed...

And here is another shot showing how much shade it provides which by the way, it can pivot all around or even placed at a angle :D

And on this page shows how it folds back up and in this case above, out of the way behind the back rest.

https://www.pro-techt.com/mantis-original-pro-plus-xl.html

The beauty of this configuration is the back rest on this Skiff (like most) also folds up and out of the way, so you can still have your rear casting deck to use, or access to the rear hatch ;)

Also on that link above, not only do you need to also order the mount that works best for your application, but they also have one even for your Kayak :)

So (Big Picture) you can still have "your" fishing boat with all it's designed open deck space... But still take your sweetheart along and have some targeted shade at the same time :) And I suspect, near the cost of a Bimini and much less than any T-Top. And don't get me wrong, those other options are great and work well in a Offshore Applications. But on smaller Boats and Skiffs where you are making 500 plus casts in a day. This or running around the gunnels while a Tarpon is trying to drag you off the Skiff... As we say here in the South "That Dog just don't Hunt" :p

Tight Lines!
Dave

NCangler

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Raleigh
State
NC
Wow. Thanks for sharing this Dave. Your link and tip contributions throughout the forums are much appreciated! How do you find all this stuff? :)

Putershark

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida

Putershark

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Another option for shade off of the poling platform that you can still remove

40455124_2060724617279189_5025414862226849792_o.jpg

40398000_2060724730612511_8825051791956639744_o.jpg

Putershark

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Here is another option (The Shade Blade) to consider that you can also remove, but still provide quite a bit of usable shade in the process even while running ;)

And here was an interesting install video, this so you can help picture what your might look like pending your needs size wise and main mount placement location?

I myself would not run those straps that far forward, this so I could still cast from the front deck while still deployed. However your needs and fishing style may work with them placed as such ;)

Now If interested, you can find out more information about them here: https://www.tuuci.com/collections/marine/shade-blade/

And do let them know the guys from Performance Outdoors sent you if you do reach out to them!

Tight Lines!
Dave

Putershark

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Another variant on the polling platform shade and sadly, I could not find a better / more views on this one...

1.jpg