Smart Tabs / BMS Stabilizer Plate

rscott

Contributing Member
City
Mentor
I just installed Nauticus Smart Tabs on my 195cc and have removed my Bob's Machine Shop Stabilizer plate. I am going to sell the plate. If anyone is interested in the plate I'll sell it for $35 plus shipping. Its in excellent condition, Stainless mounting hardware included. I'll post this in the classifieds also.
For more info on this product see the www.bobsmachine.com/ web page.
Roger

Have you had it out with the new tabs?? What do you think over the stablizer plate. I have a 191f/s and have the stablizer plate which did help getting on plane but i have seriously been thinking of going to the tabs.

Thanks
HTR

Just a suggestion.

If you operate your boat in any minimal or no-wake zones, you might want to keep the plate. OR at least try your boat without the plate first.

We did NOT purchase the Stabilizer Plate to help get us on plane, but to help us have an easier time when going slow in no-wake zones, which we have many. Before the stabilizer plate, no mater what we did, the boat was constantly needing steering correction, first to the left then crank the wheel to the right, then crank the wheel back left. It was a pain. Now with the stabilizer plate, we just lower our tabs a little, and the boat steers much straighter with fewer corrections if any needed.

Although the BMS plate helped with holeshot performance I can't say that it helped with the wandering at slow speeds. I have not had it out with the SmartTabs yet. SmartTabs are manufactured about 20 miles from my home, I went there and had a long talk with the owner. He really did not recommend leaving the plate on with the tabs, he claims the boat would have way to much stern lift. I bought their Pro Troller model which allows you, by way of a lever at the top gas spring mount to lowwer the tabs to an almost vertical position, see photos below. This helps to slow the boat way down while trolling for our sluggish early and late season Walleye. He also said the main reason Triumphs "wander" so much at slow speeds is due to the chines being rounded off due to the molding process. Glass boats have a very sharp edge on their chines and will track better when idling at no wake speeds. I think the tabs are going to help with this also. I think its a small price to pay to get the durability of plastic. I installed their PT1290-60 plates, that are 12 wide by 9 long, with 60 pound gas springs on my 195cc. I am very impressed with the quality of these plates. I'll let you know how it handles after I get out on the lake in a week or two.
Roger
PT_1.jpg
PT_2.jpg

Anyone else have more information on the comparative performance of these two items?

Back